AdBlue Top-Up: advice needed

brendon fear

Hi,

I have just purchased a T6 shuttle, its a 2019 with 18k on the clock. When I purchased it, it had 3000miles on the adblue gauge. I have driven 1000 miles now and the adblue level has not changed. As I haven't had a vehicle with adblue before, I'm not sure if this is mornal, or if I should have seen a change by now?

What increments does the gauge work on, will it drop mile by mile, or 500miles at at time foreinstance?

Is what I'm experiencing normal?

If the adblue injector is blocked, how would you know?

Any advice would be great.

Hi. It usually drops in 500 mile intervals. My Caravelle seems to use more when doing shorter journeys. On a long run, say 1000 miles to the Alps it won’t necessarily change. I guess your gauge reflects the previous users driving pattern?

If the adblue injector is blocked, how would you know?
If you get yourself a code reader there will generally be faulty codes logged if the van senses an issue with the valve or if injecting the adblue doesn't seem to work.

For instance my own van logged a stuck valve recently (I have OBDEleven) that I'm not yet worrying about as it's still quite young and the code was a one off so far:

Screenshot_20240703-083604.jpg

Also search the forum as overfilling can be problematic.

There are many theories / strategies on filling with adblue.

Personally, I like to keep it full / topped up based on what the dash is telling me. Currently I need to fill with 0.75 gallons and its at 4000 miles left.

My reasoning for this is that many adblue problems (from various threads I’ve read) are caused by crystallisation of the liquid. Least amount of air in the tank minimises the opportunity for the liquid to dry out is my thinking. It also means I never hit the 500 miles to go at an inopportune moment.

Others will advocate topping up at 500 miles.

As others have said, it depends upon your usage. If you avoid short journeys (and partial regens), the use of AdBlue seems to be quite slow. Mine has been showing 3500 miles range for several months (at one point it went up to 4000 miles) and 0.75-1. galls to refill. I've got a 500+ mile round-trip this weekend on mostly M-Way, so it will be interesting to see if it changes, or I need to fill up before I head to London later in the month.

Sorry to post again, but getting worried that I'm going to get stuck with the engine switching off. As my adblue is now down to 800miles.

My original post is here: AdBlue top-up issue (merge)

I topped up, but didn't top up to the minimum, ammount required. Its now saying top up 0.75 min and max so it has changed the topup amount, but has not changed the range.

As per my original post, I have done over 300 miles now and it has not registered the new adblue

Should i top up more, or is there another way to get it to recognise the 9 liters and display the new mile range?

Thank you for your help.

20240727_224200.jpg

There’s a danger of overfilling the adblue tank but if it was me I would put the 0.75 gal in, remembering to switch the ignition on for 30 seconds before starting the engine to give it a chance to register

There’s a danger of overfilling the adblue tank but if it was me I would put the 0.75 gal in, remembering to switch the ignition on for 30 seconds before starting the engine to give it a chance to register
Thank you, did I make a mistake not putting in the minimum that it asked for at 1200miles? I put in approx 9 liters when it was asking for 2.5 gallons min? Should I always put in more than the min?

I always top up small amounts to keep the tank as full as possible and it always registers. My logic is with a fullish tank all the time there is less chance of crystallisation.

I’d fill with what its asking and check again.

As mentioned in another thread, its odd that the miles to go is so low but only needs 0.75G (3 and a bit litres). With that mileage I’d expect to see a much higher fill quantity.

Hi guys

Totally new to this adblue stuff!

Had the ding and pop up to add adblue but as far as I can see I have 1400miles. Do I need to add it now or am I right that I can add at another time?

Thanks!

20240806_171651.jpg

More info

As above you don't need to fill up yet it you don't want to. But leave it too long and you'll get a countdown which will eventually mean you can't start the engine if you then ignore it!

If you can, find a garage with an adblue pump. It's normally cheaper than bottled stuff, and let's you put in exactly the right amount (and it'll click like a normal pump). Luckily there 2x within a couple of miles of me.

Fill it now or run it down a few more hundred miles 10L is 2.2 gal so a 10L drum won’t over fill it

Hi all, I’ve had no notification on my dash yet but on my Vw app its telling me the Adblue range is at 1056 miles, question is should I fill up now or leave it a bit longer? Also how do I know what quantity I need ?

Hi all, I’ve had no notification on my dash yet but on my Vw app its telling me the Adblue range is at 1056 miles, question is should I fill up now or leave it a bit longer? Also how do I know what quantity I need ?
Leave it just now. You get plenty of warning and as others have said it will advise how much you need to refill by. 10L cans are usually readily bought, try ALDI as they often have it at the main door. try to use all of the drum, and not leave it lying around part used.

Leave it just now. You get plenty of warning and as others have said it will advise how much you need to refill by. 10L cans are usually readily bought, try ALDI as they often have it at the main door. try to use all of the drum, and not leave it lying around part used.
Cheers for the advice.. like you say I’ll leave it for now.. I’ve bought a 10l container ready for use when I do get the warning.
The dealer has said it’s usually around the 1000 miles when the warning comes on , so I’m assuming it will be very soon.

Back