Faraday cage? I thought they worked by overwhelming the GPS signal with a high-powered output signal.
That's what I assumed as your vehicle is a metal box anyway would just drown out any signal.
Then again a thief can just buy this

Screenshot_20240802-221125.png

Trackers have become next to useless when you can buy a gps blocker for £12! Visual and physical deterrents are my preferred option

Totally agree re: physical / visual deterrents.
But going back to trackers, presumably these blockers work on any GPS tracker, regardless of initial cost and ongoing subscriptions? Are "insurance approved" trackers as easy to block? If so, and bearing in mind that they are just another tool in the arsenal to offer an extra bit of peace of mind, how do other members feel about the subscription fees some providers are charging? Are the more professional / approved devices using significantly more data? If not, how do they justify charging £4, £5, £10 or more a month? (I don't mean to sound critical - I'm just genuinely curious!)

Technology moves fast these days and it's readily available and getting cheaper so even your local drug addled thief has probably got some kind of tech. Don't get me wrong any security device is better than nothing!
Most thieves do it as they are too lazy to work, so if all they need to do is press a button to steal your vehicle or have to do some hard labour to remove a physical device which do you think they would choose?

So I guess what you're saying is, ultimately any GPS tracker is probably not going to stop a determined professional thief? But as you say, any device is better than nothing, so back to my original question: why pay hefty subscription fees for something that you can get for 3p a month?

If it's giving the same service/coverage as a more expensive version why would you pay more.

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere previously, but I am curious to know what other members think about the various tracker options available, and in particular cheap ones like the one I have (details a couple of posts ago), and more specifically, the contracts that accompany them. I noticed on another thread @monkeybusiness bought one by Trutrack - not sure which model, but from their website I see they do one that appears quite similar to mine, which you can bag for around 20 quid. BUT - as with most I've looked at, you're tied in to their SIM / contract, at £4 or £5 per month.
I've just checked my data usage for July, which came in at under 4Mb. With the SIM I've installed (RWG Mobile), that cost me literally 3p. The SIM came with £1 credit; the provider had an offer in July - top up (minimum £5) and they double it. Credit has no expiry date, so for a fiver I now have over £10 credit, which I estimate would last about 27 years! So effectively, a free tracker (after intial purchase cost).
I am aware of it's limitations, and it's not approved by insurance companies. Am I missing something else?
Yes I bought the TruTrak and I like it. It's the one that goes into the ODB port (it's very flush).

However I jumped the gun a bit and there are cheaper ones out there. Yours seems great value.

Positives are the app is great, customer service good, and the device itself is neat.

Negatives have been mentioned. Not the cheapest and easy to remove.
Should have got the magnetic box one if anything.

If it's giving the same service/coverage as a more expensive version why would you pay more.
Some insurers insist on a tracker that's professionally monitored, as Police are much less likely to respond to reports of vehicle theft in progress when they're reported by members of the public.

That kind of makes sense. Although I still can't help wondering....if even more expensive trackers with subscription services can be blocked, and especially since by the time any "professional" monitoring kicks in, your pride and joy is already gone, are they really worth the monthly fees?
I think I'd consider fitting an expensive insurance approved device, if instead of ongoing monthly subscription fees for doing virtually nothing, they charged a one-off fee for any succesful recovery! Or if the saving in insurance premiums was equal to or greater than the ongoing costs.

Yeah, for insurers that insist on a tracker, it's not so much a case of receiving a discount for having one, as it is not getting insurance without one. To me, this speaks of the insurers' confidence in the benefit of having a tracker and that cases of successfully blocking GPS signals are not that prevalent (at least not yet).

Back