Alternator output

Rioja John

Neckender
T6 Legend
I’m having problems with a Victron Orion 50 ah dc to dc charger as I’m only getting between 11amp and 14 amp charge to my 2 100 ah lithium batteries, so I’ve been asked by Victron what is my alternator output.
How do I find this on a 2021 T6.1 110bhp Startline with business and electric pack.

I’m having problems with a Victron Orion 50 ah dc to dc charger as I’m only getting between 11amp and 14 amp charge to my 2 100 ah lithium batteries, so I’ve been asked by Victron what is my alternator output.
How do I find this on a 2021 T6.1 110bhp Startline with business and electric pack.
64% sure we are at 140A John...
You know I'm waiting for you to get this sorted before I swap out my 30 to the 50, hurry up!

• Haha
Reactions: Bav
My 6.1 has the 250A alternator as it's the Caravelle with a lot of electrical toys.

I think as the 6.1 platform is more electrical heavy the standard alternator was 180A it I can't find a reference for that currently.

I found out by getting my build sheet as part of VIP Membership.

What’s the SOC of your batteries? Do you have screenshots of the Orion settings in the App?

What’s the SOC of your batteries? Do you have screenshots of the Orion settings in the App?
[/QUOTE]

At the moment my van has been standing and my lithium batteries read 13.1volts

Here are the settings

Last edited:
Twice recently the Victron has shut down and the supplier had me altering the engine shutdown detection voltage to 12.8 but not to go below 12.7.

What size fuse would you fit on the leisure battery side 16 mm square cable?

Last edited:
Twice recently the Victron has shut down and the supplier had me altering the ht on voltage to 12.8 but not o below 12.7.

What size fuse would you fit on the leisure battery side 16 mm square cable?
You want a fuse slightly higher rating than the max output of the charger, so around 40A. If you start the engine & disable the engine shutdown function, do things change? You still haven't said what the SOC is. If the battery is charged or in Absorption phase, the current will be reduced. It maybe that the charger is only supplying what the battery is asking for. You've put 185 Ah in in the last month or so, which is a healthy amount, have you been using the van much?
I don't use the Shutdown function, I prefer the hardwired Ignition Live route, it's much more straightforward. You might have to lower the start voltages in the detection settings, so that the charger starts as soon as the engine does. Looking at your graphs, there are a couple of "interrupted cycles" have you been doing short trips? what happens if you do a longer trip?

State of charge is 13.1 so roughly 20- 30% it’s also the Victron 50 amp so would you fuse it at 60 amp?
I drove to Van fest recently return trip 80 miles and quite a few short trips recently and it shut down twice.l

State of charge is 13.1 so roughly 20- 30% it’s also the Victron 50 amp so would you fuse it at 60 amp?
I drove to Van fest recently return trip 80 miles and quite a few short trips recently and it shut down twice.l
According to your photos the output current to the LB is set to 30A, so 40A will be fine. When it shuts down, does it tell you why it's "off" in the main page on the app?

According to your photos the output current to the LB is set to 30A, so 40A will be fine. When it shuts down, does it tell you why it's "off" in the main page on the app?

I have been running it on 50 amp setting with no joy and someone said try it on 30amp and see if there was a difference which there was not.
The recent two times it shut down shown below.

IMG_1678.jpeg

If I’m interpreting the settings correctly on the shut down detection, there’s only 0.11V between start up & shutdown. That seems a very narrow band. As I mentioned earlier & @Drive Wayne says above, try disabling the engine shutdown detection with the engine running.

I had a system which worked 2 110 ah AGM batteries with a Sterling 30 ah charger, everyone was saying go lithium for more power so I bought 2 100ah lithium batteries but my Sterling charger was confusing to set up with rows of leds and push buttons.
Again people were saying by Victron dc to dc as better product, I thought it would be like my Victron hook up charger and solar charger both dead easy with the Victron app, but know it’s a bloody nightmare, 12 volt planet who I bought the 50 ah Orion off can’t understand why it’s not working properly. Now they have got in touch with their supplier who wants to know size of cable, make of lithium batteries, output of alternator and the serial number of the Victron.
I wish I had not gone lithium and had this nightmare that I’m having.

What percentage remaining have you currently got in your lithium leisure batteries John?

I had a system which worked 2 110 ah AGM batteries with a Sterling 30 ah charger, everyone was saying go lithium for more power so I bought 2 100ah lithium batteries but my Sterling charger was confusing to set up with rows of leds and push buttons.
Again people were saying by Victron dc to dc as better product, I thought it would be like my Victron hook up charger and solar charger both dead easy with the Victron app, but know it’s a bloody nightmare, 12 volt planet who I bought the 50 ah Orion off can’t understand why it’s not working properly. Now they have got in touch with their supplier who wants to know size of cable, make of lithium batteries, output of alternator and the serial number of the Victron.
I wish I had not gone lithium and had this nightmare that I’m having.
Don’t get disheartened, I’m sure it’s just a setup issue. I’d check for any software updates & then do a factory reset to default & start again. A multimeter across the input/output terminals with the engine on/off
And see what the results are.

Yes but here is a screenshot of my battery capacity a while ago, which also shows 13.1Volts, but with available Ah showing a healthy figure. What is your available Ah on your batteries?

Screenshot_20241003_074328_Roamer BMS.jpg

Back