Any Radio HAMs out there?

Are we talking about power? Or arial cables?

The basic setup would be to use a 12v plug into the dash socket, and coax out door or window to a mag mount on roof.

Next step is hardwired to the fusebox under dash with a fuse buddy or install a new fuse in a spare slot.

Coax can be run ap A pillar to roof area for antenna.

If you are DMR then all you need is a WiFi hotspot and a DMR AP.

What rig and kit you got?

A few pics will help.

Fwiw...

I normally leave my rig at home as a base station.

Then take the mobile units out....

My mobile radio has Bluetooth so can be connected to the van.

But obviously limits the rx/tx range if inside the van.

Another option is a mobile radio with a coax feeder and roof mounted mag mount.
Thanks! I want to install the rig I had in my last car, that it's a simple VHF/UHF Anytone (not PMR) to work local repeaters. For PMR I'm using portable but not from the car. For now, I will do what you say, magnet mount, coaxial through the door and use the dash socket as you say. And finding the way at same time to get the coaxial through A pilar as I had in my last car (Land Rover), using a bracket mount on the bonnet or something like that. The thing is I didn't find the right hole to get the wire through.

Thanks!

next up was the newer purchase (UHF / VHF ) . . - £31.99 each

its worth noting that these radios (and the ones above) can be programmed to the PMR446 frequencies for licence free, but are not "licenced" as the dont conform to the spec - antenna removeable, power output above 0.5W etc

Baofeng GT-3TP Mark-III Walkie Talkie 8W/4W/1W UHF VHF 2 Way Radio Dual Band Handheld Transceiver with Car Charger and Antenna

View attachment 110263

These have been great little radios . . with a interesting orange side rubbers . . ?

View attachment 110264
View attachment 110265View attachment 110266
I have 2 of these and yaesu handheld. I'm a intermediate Ham radio. I'm thinking about what I can add to the van

I used to be an RSI (Regiment Signal Instructor) and set up Re bro’s in the jungles of Belize and using Batco (long long time ago. I think now it’s secure comms

I used to be fairly active on 2m mobile, but mobile use started to become frowned upon, and I never got round to refitting the rig when I changed cars a few years ago. I now occasionally use DMR and 2m on motorsport events.

Renny

MM0KOZ

I'm a 2e0, a UK intermediate amatuer radio licence holder. I also have some business radio licences, both owned and permissive.

I have an FT857 (HF/UHF/VHF) and an FT8900 (UHF/VHF quad band) and a bunch of handhelds. I've dabbled in DMR and other sytems, and also have a radio repeater; a Retevis RT97. A project that was all set to go ahead and failed at the last minute. But I still bought the tech :eek:

The FT857 is installed in my camper 4x4 as it is the most compatible but I also have the kit to move it all to external use for emergency use. I'm also a member of RAYNET.
Radio is an intersting project and hobby that at some point will take me further in life, but not at the moment. It's just there as a known thing for now. But if I have to deploy 500 handsets at an event, then I've got the licences to do it too ;)

I would love to get an aerial for my t6. I currently have a yaesu VX-5R that I think I will be able to plug the audio into the van

It's quite common in Australia to have a UHF radio in your van. When driving in the country you can talk to truck drivers and caravans if you want to pass them or if trucks want to pass you. It's seen as a safety device. I have one mounted in the van and one handheld.

G1PJR.... Licensed since 1985. At that time I was licensed as a class 'B' but it was updated under the 'Grandfather Clause' to a full 'A' licence at a later date. I built up the shack at home to be able to simultaneously tune in to various amateur bands at one time, as well as monitoring Marine, Air and almost any other band. The Marine bands are quite interesting when combined with the shack computer and 'Vessel Finder'. Radio reception from the Coastguard station at Dover is good, as I am based nearby. As you may imagine, there is a lot of activity in the Channel.

Full compliment of radios (about twelve total) covering the bulk of the amateur radio spectrum. Icom 7300, Icom 9700, Icom R8600, Icom 7100, Icom ID52, Kenwood D74, SDR Play, SSTV, FT8 etc. Digital, Anytone x3 DMR etc. plus various Yaesu sets. All HF Bands covered as well as 2m, 70cm, 23cm, 6m 4m etc. Mobile setup includes any of the above sets can be used in the T6.1, or Suzuki Jimny. Athough I have not used the T6.1 as yet, it is set up to be able to support all necessary requirements including HF 40' telescopic Spider Pole for mobile/portable (static obviously ;)), and 2m/70cm/23cm bands antenna. Various switchable antennas at the base station to support each radio set and bands.

It is quite interesting to dive into the shack and have a play. Even if you don't have the radios/licence, you can still monitor the bands via the internet.... Hack Green, for example, is one of many 'open' facilities available.

IMG_4258.jpeg

Back