Badjamins van conversion

Badjamin

Live long and camper!
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hey guys

So I've had the van for 2 months now and have prepped as below.

Removed bulkhead
Fitted front/rear dash cam (still not workin quite right)
Fitted wind deflectors
Removed the cargo racking
Fitted ghost
Replaced light bulbs (still getting a fault though)
New nr side front damper
New brake wiring loom

Next job is the windows and interior lining - kiravans delivered all the gubbins today apart from additional glue and extra wide window trim - due Friday.

Anyone near hudds got a pair of window suckers perchance?

Last edited:
Looks really good!

I found it much easier to handle and align without window suckers.
I did think I'd be able to manage. Just have had it suggested in the past. Yeah I'll give it a go without on the barn doors and see how I go

I did a very messy rear window fit out on my barn doors. It was a bit of a mare to say the least. My caulk gun isn't very good and the bead wasnt amasing but I think it'll hold. Sadly after I'd glued them both on I discovered one of them was chipped. I almost cried. Anyway they're on!

VideoCapture_20240726-150727.jpgScreenshot_20240726_150757_Gallery.jpgVideoCapture_20240726-150949.jpg

Okay so budget has now gone on parking charge and MOT and previous works mentioned above. So no new purchases of any substance for the time being.

I now have in my spare room- sound deadening, thermo fleece, insulation, carpet and all the adhesives remaining windows and window blanks for rear quarters etc. but I feel like I can't proceed with any of this until I get the wiring first fix done.

What does everyone think if I buy a load of flexi conduit to route the cables I will likely be installing?

I'm gonna stick a leisure battery under drivers seat with a DCDC charger etc. Wiring from vehicle battery will go under cab carpet etc so am thinkin conduit route for wiring set up behind removable panel on wall behind drivers seat (under off side window) to the rear quarter upper panels (for a CU etc in wardrobe/cupboard) and a second one up to the roof both with a 'feed wire' inside each for pulling cable through.
20240729_151424.jpg
Then I can hopefully remove (carpet lined) panels to install wiring retrospectively.

I'm itching to get on with it...

Last edited:
Reactions: CAB
You could do everything on your list except the fleece, then do the wiring. You can carpet the panels too, just don’t fit them. I did use some conduit over the back ceiling with a draw line, but it is easier and faster to do it in the right order to begin.

If I was starting from scratch with a van I'd 100% get all the wiring, plumbing etc in first before doing any sort of panelling - I'd also definitely put in routing channels with conduit - there's always something you want to fit later on that you didn't anticipate and especially when you're trying to run cables front to back it's a pain to have to remove loads of stuff to get access.

I’ve done exactly as you suggested, I’d guess it would be easier to route the cables before carpet but that would still be after sound deadening and insulation. If you are fitting ply panels then you have quite a bit of flexibility behind them anyway. The other through is cable is pretty cheap so you could run the wires you think you need plus some ducts to cover all bases.

So I guess it's wiring for the spot lights and usb plugs that are gonna be the main wirings. Maybe I should cough up some overdraft and by some wire to get those routed

I've used this stuff for my low amp circuits, 20m of 2mm for £15.

You can cut down on your negative wiring if you go back to chassis grounds nearer the device rather than going back to the battery.

Definitely a good idea to put conduit in at least for the front to back and side to side runs. There's always stuff like rear dash cams or extra lighting that you forget about!

I would say take your time and plan out your entire electrical system now - it'll cost you nothing and you'll turn get to see what wiring you need to install before any interior stuff.

Last edited:
I would never say its worth going into an overdraft for but maybe just wait a month and order a few bits, if your having a fridge you could run conduit to that to save money on the larger cables. but running small cables and a 20mm conduit down each side front to back is pretty inexpensive and will give you great flexibility longer term.

Sorry, been away at Summer camp.
I have window suckers and a nibbler if you need help on the side windows.
You are welcome to pop by and borrow them-I’m only in Meltham.
I’d say that if you are buying cable etc then get it from a reputable company. I’ve just done a LiFePo and 12v install in my mate’s T6 and everything came from 12v planet. Not the cheapest, but won’t be any shonky crap that could be dangerous.

I would never say its worth going into an overdraft for but maybe just wait a month and order a few bits, if your having a fridge you could run conduit to that to save money on the larger cables. but running small cables and a 20mm conduit down each side front to back is pretty inexpensive and will give you great flexibility longer term.
Cheers for this. Did you go for split or unsplit conduit?

Well for now I am going to do the sound deadening. Is it only 30% of panels that need to be covered? Kiravans only gave me 10 sheets for the entire van. Probably not enough to do in the skuttle and under the cab carpet meh.

Last edited:
Well for now I am going to do the sound deadening. Only 30% of panels need to be covered I believe. That's lucky as Kiravans only gave me 10 sheets for the entire van. Probably not enough to do in the skuttle and under the cab carpet meh.
Yes, use it on parts of the flat panels. Covering the whole van is diminishing returns, and eats into the weight budget. Try tapping an empty panel and it will ring like a bell. Then put some deadening on, and it will go “thunk” like a bell with a big blob of soft heavy rubber stuck to it.

Finally removed the bulkhead strip!

20240815_115008.jpg

Tried the sds chisel but it was just absurdly slow going. Ended up using a hammer and a grinder with a cutting disc. Also sealed the roof bolts in and installed awning rail. I bought tap washers to put between rail and roof but my bolts weren't long enough! So just sealed and bolted. Side windows in the coming days... exciting!

Last edited:
Back