Battery advice

icn05

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Having discovered one of my 2 110Ah batteries is knackered I’m considering replacing with a LifeP04. As my conversion uses a PMS3 for the electrics / battery charging I’m assuming this won’t be suitable to charge a Lithium battery?

I have a Victron DC/DC charger fitted, and will be looking at solar soon (again Victron). Just wondering which mains charger is best if I go for a Fogstar battery as in is it better to get a Fogstar charger? Or is there a good alternative to the Fogstar battery? Have to confess I know little about Lithium batteries!

Thanks
Ian

I’d go for a Roamer before a Forgstar.
I’m in the process of upgrading to lithium.
There’s a lot of good info on this thread.
The lovely very knowledgeable chaps on here gave me lots of great advice and kept me right on what to buy.
There some good pics of my set up also.

Don’t go for the Fogstar chargers as they are meant to be noisy. If you are going Victron for the other components then go for their charger too would be my recommendation. Their IP65 is silent, waterproof and can be installed really easily and in a way that allows you to remove it to use on other vehicles. Their IP22 is designed for a fixed installation, is not waterproof and the higher power ones have fans.

You will also need to ensure your cabling and fuses are suitable for any upgrade as you may be shoving a few more amps around the system.

I did similar a few months ago and went Victron with a Fogstar 105ah battery. Very, very happy with the performance.

Can confirm the fogstar charger (20A) is noisy on start up but does back off.

I only run it when I'm not in the van as a bit of a quick charge so not an issue but you wouldn't want to sleep with it on for sure.

I went for the Roamer 160Ah in the end as I’m not sure I’d be able to get either the Fogstar or Roamer 230amp into the space under the cupboards without taking half the van apart.

Ordered a Victron IP22 12/20 charger, just got to finish sorting the wiring out, dissing the PMS 3 charger and devise a way of securing the battery as neither of the previous lead acids were secured to anything

Back