Battery cable crimping tool recommendation please

Farnorthsurfer

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Does anyone have a recommendation for the best type of low cost crimping tool to do my camper electrics?
Specifically for the 6mm and 16mm tubular terminals to the DC-DC and batteries.
I have tools for insulated terminals and bootlace ferrules.
The only other thing missing would be the MC4 solar connectors, literally only 4 of those to do so might ‘make do’ there.
Options considered are Amazon cheap Hex type, the ‘U’ bucket type or a hammer type tool. Cheap and cheerful.
Happy to buy, they will always come in useful. Aircraft engineer to trade but nothing at work as most of it is too small.

More helpful advice required please. I’m going to attempt to rectify the electrical installation myself and need one of those crimp tools that can handle battery and large connectors - can anyone recommend one they’ve used?

Have a read of this from post 160 on..

More helpful advice required please. I’m going to attempt to rectify the electrical installation myself and need one of those crimp tools that can handle battery and large connectors - can anyone recommend one they’ve used?
I have a cheap Chinese eBay hex crimping tool that I bought for the job of battery terminals and other bits on my build. It’s OK, just. Dependent quite a bit on the quality of the terminals used. In fact I used a mix of die sizes either side of the crimp to get a good squeeze on the cheap terminals. OK for the few times I have needed it but it wouldn’t do for trade use or even keen amateur long term.

I use these for the big stuff..

Plus a large club hammer.

Then some heat shrink over top.

Screenshot_20200819-060315_Amazon Shopping.jpg

You just assemble the lug and cable.

Lift up the spring loaded die.

Then smash the top with a heavy hummer......job done.

Or you can use a plumbers blow lamp and solder on....but that takes practice to make a good job without burning the cable.

Have a read of this from post 160 on..

Thanks, I went for one of the recomendations;
Crimper

Now onto cabling:)

Last edited:
heres a few bits i use :

Cable Crimper HS-16 1.25-16mm? 50Amp -

HS-16 1.25-16mm? 50Amp Cable Crimper Crimping Terminal Wire Plier Cutter Fitting: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

1678525238826.png

Cable Crimper SWA RP625 Ratchet for Uninsulated Terminals 6 mm-25 mm -

SWA RP625 Crimping Tool Ratchet for Uninsulated Terminals 6 mm-25 mm: Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science

1678525415412.png

+

Draper 64335 Battery Terminal Crimping Tool -

Draper 64335 Battery Terminal Crimping Tool: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

1678525395898.png

+

Aussel 8 Tons 9 Dies Hydraulic Crimping Tool -

Aussel 8 Tons 9 Dies Hydraulic Crimper, Hydraulic Crimping Tool 4-70mm², Wire Battery Cable Lug Terminal Crimper: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

1678525327093.png

+

Wire Stripper INSMA Multifunctional Stripping Tool -

https://amzn.to/2ENwsQZ

1678525305765.png

+

Glarks MC3 MC4 Crimper Solar Crimping Tools for 2.5/4/6mm² Solar Panel PV Cable -

https://amzn.to/2QeMtET

1678525289096.png

+

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread
Kit List And Stuff -- How I Done It & What I Use --

Last edited:
As per the title.

Lots of options but the reviews are mixed at best, though anything I buy will not see anything more than light use.

Been looking at the hydraulic options, like this ColdShine Hydraulic Crimper Tool Kit Tube Terminals Lugs Battery Cable Wire Crimping Force: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

I need to do some work on some battery connections and it seems worthwhile to buy the right tool.

Recommendations please.

TIA :thumbsup:

I bought this crimper last year for my dual battery installation and it worked very well. Also used it with Anderson connectors without any problems.

hold on thats no quite fair . . . . . .

the hydraulic works ok, but I've found i get better "cold welds" with other crimpers . . . . (I've managed to pull off some of the luggs from the hydro crimper)

I've got these . . . ill run through them with you.

EDIT: battery terminal are very important and must be on 100% tight and secure. - loose crimps will cause high resistance and heat and can also wick up moisture and corrode from inside.

so to test a good battery lug connection . . . i crimp it on . . . then double crimp it.

then get a fat screwdriver and pass it through the lug,, the stand on either side of the screw driver them pull up hard on the cable . . .

a properly crimped lug will not put off . . . .

1614076872313.png

Last edited:
I've got this one . . : HFS (R) 10T Hydraulic Wire Terminal Crimper Battery Cable Lug Crimping Tool W/9 Pairs Dies: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

if found that depending on the size of lug / terminal sometime you cant get the right size die.

its either too large or too small. I've tried going large, then recrimping small . . . but it just crushes the sides of the lug..

so it works fine if you have perfect size cable and lugs for the dies . . . . . . which for some reason i never seem to have ={

I've had this one for a few years now and dont bother using it any more.

HFS (R) 10T Hydraulic Wire Terminal Crimper Battery Cable Lug Crimping Tool W/9 Pairs Dies

1614076940329.png

next up . . . .

Last edited:
next up is this Durite one . . . . i love it.

you get to smash it with a hammer or crush it in a vice . . . great fun. :grin bounce:

the centre pin is sprung loaded , so you place the cable in the lug . . . then lift the sprung loaded pin and place the lug in the V notch . .

then place it all on a solid floor and smash it with a heavy hammer . . . =] (or put it in a vice and clamp down - i dont like that method)

the pin will crush the lug perfectly creating a very good connection.

i use this one for large gauge cables and battery terminals.

its a great tool provided you can smash the hammer on it . . . . if you are in a tight engine bay and need to add a lug then this might not be the best solution.

I've now seen a screw/ratchet version that clamps down with a ratchet/socket or screw gun (instead of the hammer action) . . . ill have to hunt one down and test.

Durite - Hammer/Vice H/D Crimping Tool for Large Tube Terminals - 0-703-90

1614077342759.png

4lb hammer . . .

OX Club Hammer - Sledgehammer with Fibreglass Handle - Forged and Induction Hardened Hammerhead - 4 lb / 1.8 kg

1614077410962.png

next up . . . .

Last edited:
Back