+ Battery Lug clamp, sheared.. What now anyone?

Martymuffin

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Morning all,

Can't make this up... Any ideas how I can sort this... My life

The Lug has sheared the pos bolt, so I can't put it all back together...
The Lug is part of the main harness so I can't even just replace the Lug...
1000030391.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
Ah.... Thats unfortunate. (How did you manage that?)

You can replace the cable with a OEM new or second hand one would be best.

Or bush fix with a new battery terminal and lug.... But it's needs to be done properly.

Or maybe drill out the snapped stud and captive nut and fit a bolt and nylock nut?

Ah.... That unfortunate.

You can replace the cable with a OEM new or second hand one would be best.

Or bush fix with a new battery terminal and lug.... But it's needs to be done properly.
Thanks @Dellmassive. Why always me, haha...
Any tips on replacing the cable... Other end etc...
Wonder if I could get AA to come out and sort?

Thanks Marty.

I assume the bolt has sheared off in the lug? I’d drill out the remaining bolt starting with a small pilot hole . Looks to be an M8 so 7mm drilled hole and retap. Worst cast is to fit a nut underneath the lug.
Simple 5 min job.
That is also another good plan...
Simple 5 min job doesn't happen with me.... I was doing a simple 5 min job when this happened...

The other end of that cable is the main POS connection for the starter or alternator, can say exactly which without double checking.

Not sure the AA would entertain that, unless you had a replacement cable and nice cup of tea and biscuits as a sweetener.

In sure a new OEM cable would be well pricey.

Suppose we can look to get a part number for it?

What's the van spec?

And looking at this end of that cable I'd say that's the starter cable...

Screenshot_20240427_093533_Chrome.jpg

It isn’t terminal (see what I did there) depending on your skill set & facilities, it’s fixable. I’d see that as an annoyance but not the end of the world.

I reckon that bolt is probable replaceable, whats on the other side of the broken bit? (Underside of the clamp) can't see it being cast as part of the clamp so its maybe just pressed into a hex on the other side ....?

It isn’t terminal (see what I did there) depending on your skill set & facilities, it’s fixable. I’d see that as an annoyance but not the end of the world.
Terminal, bum bum..Yes, might have a play around... might be able to damage something else whilst doing a 5 min job.... This all because of a12 Volt low warning....spare me. These vans...

I reckon that bolt is probable replaceable, whats on the other side of the broken bit? (Underside of the clamp) can't see it being cast as part of the clamp so its maybe just pressed into a hex on the other side ....?
Looking at it again, it looks like it might press out.... will try that...good shout.

The coefficient of thermal expansion for lead is roughly 3x that of steel.
I'd carefully and gently warm the lead lug before using some mole grips on the exposed thread.

I'd carefully and gently warm the lead lug before using some mole grips on the exposed thread.
Ooooo, yep, hmmmm. Got me think now... Thanks.

Are they lead? I thought they were tinned copper.

Back