Best drive away awning

I now have ordered the vango galli tc which is still a big awning but just that little bit smaller so I hope won’t be such an issue. It’s still a big awning though. I don’t think anyone makes one as big as the olpro awning which as I said is very bad quality, I have always had cheap tents and they have lasted, the olpro is pretty much ruined after one seasons use. I need to erect it again to see if I can sell it but if someone buys it, it won’t be for much! Buy cheap, buy twice!

I should add that previously we had a massive tent and an extra porch on the side and it was almost always bigger than the sizes given by sites big pitches but we booked them anyway and I never remember there being an issue which is why I thought we’d get away with it so maybe it was just a C&CC thang
It is bit of a C&CC thang! Those pesky little posts the corner of the unit has to go to!

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a decent drive away awning, mainly to be used for storage and a seating area?

Also would like the option to be able to add a bedroom (2 people) if additional people come to stay.

Thanks.

Thanks again guys so much useful info. Can I ask what is “pesky post thing”

The post thing is C&MC not so much C&CC
Maybe, that’s what I heard about C&MC too and my experience with C&CC was good but in their club sites (which I don’t usually go to but did because of covid) last year they were very strict about it. Actually they were much more consistent about that than they were about the club covid rules which despite being told everywhere were dictated to them by the club were totally different at every site!

Been looking for an awning myself. Lots of options out there so depends on what your wanting from it....

For me key point being:
  1. Front facing inline with the van.
  2. Air beam for easy / quick erecting.
  3. Good space / wide door on connection tunnel.
  4. Rear door on main body as cooking facilities out the back of the van.
  5. Ability to add bedroom if required.
So far i'm leaning towards the Vango Magra as it ticks all points and looks fresh / modern design, though living space small when you add bedroom. Galli 3 offers more space but doesn't give the rear access that I want (excluding tunnel door). Also bigger pack to store carry.

Dilemma we have is that when its just me and the missus Magra is fine. But we have two daughters with partners and one grand daughter. Not thinking of them all sleeping but more about the available social space and for this the Galli would be better.

Did also look at Outdoor revolution Cayman Combo Air as this is similar to the Magra but allows you to add a bedroom without affecting the living space. Very tempted with this but decided against due to negative comments on customer service and many having leaking.

Hope that helps.

We have a Kampa Air Touring VW for the same reasons as yourself. It has 2 built in bedroom pods. One is used for storage and the other for the Porta Potti. The living area is still big enough to sit in during inclement weather, and the porch is big enough to cook under when it is damp. It doesn't take long to put up and has velcro on the air beams to attach LED light strips. We also like having the layout of the awning in line with the bus. In my eyes it looks neater and it gives us more room on the pitch.

Thanks for your replies. After writing this post last night did abit of research and also liked the look at the ones you’d suggested. I think going for air is the way forward and makes sense to front facing in line with the van.

I was after the same, and narrowed it down to either the Sheltapod, or a Kyham quick erect awning. In the end I went for the Kyham Motordome Tourer Lite.
I ordered it in December, but it is not expected until the end of this month. The Sheltapod had a similar delivery wait.

I wondered if any member has this awning. It has been updated since the video as been made and the Germans seem to think it's good.

Not in a rush, but right now cheaper to buy in Germany than to buy anything from UK makers because of taxes to Spain.

Awning 6.jpg
awning 1.jpg

Last edited:
All depends what you will use it for - so expect lots of recommendations!
I have a Faro Low.
Light weight and easy to put up, but the lighter fabric may not be as much use for sleeping.
Might be worth a run up to Winfield's, they seem to have a wide range.

What Id like to know is which is the quickest to errect because im lazy. He he he, I said errect :D

All depends what you will use it for - so expect lots of recommendations!
I have a Faro Low.
Light weight and easy to put up, but the lighter fabric may not be as much use for sleeping.
Might be worth a run up to Winfield's, they seem to have a wide range.
Thanks very much for your help

Back