Bicycle covers

Having read various threads on this forum about covers for bikes on a towbar bike rack, I can see that there are differing views on whether they are a good idea.

We have a T6.1 with an Atera towbar bike rike and later this year will travel from the south of England to Scotland and over to one of the Inner Hebrides by ferry with our mountain bikes.

My feeling is that it would be a good idea to get a cover, but will it obscure the rear lights of the van? (The bike rack has a tailboard with lights as well, but I guess the more lights visible the better).
Update - having done more research I was worried about the additional drag that would be caused.

I called the Roofbox Company (who sold me the Atera towbar bike rack) and they advised that bike carrier manufacturers advised against using covers on the bikes while on a towbar bike rack as the wind would create more force on the bikes, and the carriers wouldn't have been tested in this situation.

I then emailed Atera with the following question: "Could you please clarify whether it is a good idea to get a cover to put over the bikes while on the bike carrier to protect them from dirt on a long journey, and also to reduce temptation for theft of the bikes? I have heard conflicting opinions."

Their reply was: "Bicycles must not be covered while driving. This may cause excessive forces to act on the bike carrier."

As somebody who has carried two bikes with a cover over them on a towbar rack (Thule Easyfold XT2) for around 6000 miles, mostly at 70-75MPH, without issue, I strongly suspect that Atera are covering their six more than anything else. I've also seen numerous other cars and/or vans doing the same on my travels. You pays your money and takes your choice though.

Hi - just researching the same topic (but for 4 bikes on a Fiamma tailgate carrier) and wondered if you’d bought a cover and could recommend?
did you ever put a cover on your bikes , i also have a tailgate bike rack but was wondering how well a cover stands up to wind when driving .

did you ever put a cover on your bikes , i also have a tailgate bike rack but was wondering how well a cover stands up to wind when driving .
Yes I did. I bought the Fiamma one. Fitted it over 3 bikes and headed off from Belfast to Picos de Europa. Before I arrived in Dublin (100 miles) the cover had ripped and was flapping about. Absolutely useless on a T6 as the wind catches them and mine was tied down and bungee corded all over with no slack.

I then just did the rest of the 2 week holiday without it.

I wouldn’t bother again. Unless someone has a better cover idea?

I think it’s prob best to just not use a cover. Part of reason was for extra security when I park up but will prob just put one on if I am stopped for long duration. Bikes prob stay fairly clean that high up anyway and suffer no more from weather than when cycling in rain. Thanks for your reply

I noted with interest all the comments on why you should not use a bike cover. Someone like me who has an e-bike has a different issue. You should remove the battery for weight reasons. In my case that would leave all the terminals exposed.

I noted with interest all the comments on why you should not use a bike cover. Someone like me who has an e-bike has a different issue. You should remove the battery for weight reasons. In my case that would leave all the terminals exposed.
Yeah, I carry 2 e-bikes on mine and agree this is an issue. I simply couldn’t lift them up with the battery. I’m sure there is a much more elegant solution (like a battery cover) but what I do is stuff a blue rubber glove into the area of the battery terminals and this has kept that area dry in heavy rain and spray.

On the rear I have found much less water and dirt than when carrying on the roof of my car.

I use mine at least twice a week for full 29” enduro e-mtbs so it gets regular use.

My main concern is theft and security so was keen to ‘hide’ the bikes and then protection from the elements was secondary. I know the answer would be a Crafter with a garage area but I love my T6 and accept this as a bit of a compromise. Currently investigating how to secure the bikes in the interior when stopped at a restaurant or going for a walk. Fortunately I have the Reimo sliding bed on my SWB which gives a bit more room. I’d love to hear what others are doing.

[QUOTE="DreamingT6s, post: 694097, member: 47129"

My main concern is theft and security so was keen to ‘hide’ the bikes and then protection from the elements was secondary. I know the answer would be a Crafter with a garage area but I love my T6 and accept this as a bit of a compromise. Currently investigating how to secure the bikes in the interior when stopped at a restaurant or going for a walk. Fortunately I have the Reimo sliding bed on my SWB which gives a bit more room. I’d love to hear what others are doing.
[/QUOTE]
I have LWB and Reimo sliding bed, although very often the rear flap is down for storage. On the way to an enduro, I put the bikes inside wheels on, and protect the seats with blankets. They are bungeed to the table rail on the kitchen. At the event, I keep the bikes inside overnight, wheels off. Wheels usually chained to the van underneath.

On the way home, they usually go on the back rack as they are a bit muddy, and I don’t leave them alone at the motorway services.

[QUOTE="DreamingT6s, post: 694097, member: 47129"

I have LWB and Reimo sliding bed, although very often the rear flap is down for storage. On the way to an enduro, I put the bikes inside wheels on, and protect the seats with blankets. They are bungeed to the table rail on the kitchen. At the event, I keep the bikes inside overnight, wheels off. Wheels usually chained to the van underneath.

On the way home, they usually go on the back rack as they are a bit muddy, and I don’t leave them alone at the motorway services.
[/QUOTE]
That’s really helpful, thanks. I reckon with the SWB it will have to be shelf up and seats right back with front wheel off. Consider a couple of forks mounts bolted to a length of wood that would sit on the seat pad for a bit of security.

Handy tip. A plastic bag of the type a double mattress comes in is idea for a bicycle, and if you ask nicely furniture stores are only too happy to give a way a few. A bike slips inside perfectly, and if you want total weatherproofing they can be sealed upmwith duck tape.

Back