Cancelled my 2 weeks in Tenerife

I'm 62 now but in my early 20s I was a british idiot doing all of the above I moan about them now, but had a great time then and I bet there,s people on here that did the same we're not all boring old farts.
Before visiting a new country, I have always (even when I was a beer drinking yoof, never did like lager) taught myself to say:-
Please,
Thank you,
2 beers please,
The bill please,
in the local lingo. Even when I invariably get it wrong, at least I've tried & it usually raises a smile.

Completely agree.

However - I've heard this from French and Spanish friends....
The 'English' tend to say please and thank you a lot more than locals. If a local did it the same way as Englander, it would be sarcasm and possibly a little rude.
Because we are from where we are from, we get a free pass as it seems we are known for being the best tourists - or the worst. I think that they can figure out which one as soon as someone walks in.

I'm 62 now but in my early 20s I was a british idiot doing all of the above I moan about them now, but had a great time then and I bet there,s people on here that did the same we're not all boring old
Sweet baby moses! I gotta say 20 years ago, when I was a young man, I thought myself the funniest, toughest and most amorous fellow this side of Leighton buzzard. In reality I was just a bit of a p***k. I see those young lads now, being me then, and feel a strange sense of both loss and sadness, but mostly relief cos it was really hard work.

Before visiting a new country, I have always (even when I was a beer drinking yoof, never did like lager) taught myself to say:-
Please,
Thank you,
2 beers please,
The bill please,
in the local lingo. Even when I invariably get it wrong, at least I've tried & it usually raises a smile.
Funny you should say that... I have a spreadsheet (yes, I am that person!!) with a list of potentially useful words & phrases in a number of European languages - French, Spanish, Portuguese, Greek, Italian, German. I think my most used phrase is "I'm sorry, my <insert language> is rubbish. Please speak more slowly", followed by "Do you speak English?" :rolleyes:

Funny you should say that... I have a spreadsheet (yes, I am that person!!) with a list of potentially useful words & phrases in a number of European languages - French, Spanish, Portuguese, Greek, Italian, German. I think my most used phrase is "I'm sorry, my <insert language> is rubbish. Please speak more slowly", followed by "Do you speak English?" :rolleyes:
Pulp fiction style

• Haha
Reactions: Bav
Pulp fiction style
More in a flustered style after the speaking more slowly hasn't helped! To be fair, if they do speak English, they've usually already taken pity at this point.

More in a flustered style after the speaking more slowly hasn't helped! To be fair, if they do speak English, they've usually already taken pity at this point.
My usual scenario goes along the lines of:-
in language of choice
“hello, 2 beers please”
Eh?
“2 beers please”
In English sir…

My usual scenario goes along the lines of:-
in language of choice
“hello, 2 beers please”
Eh?
“2 beers please”
In English sir…
Do they struggle with your broad, flat, Yorkshire patois? (no stereotyping intended :whistle:)

Please,
Thank you,
2 beers please,
The bill please,
We did something similar when we went interailing round Eastern Europe (now Central Europe), we wrote the local common words (yes, no thanks, please etc in a book then asked someone in the first bar to say them and then rewrote phonetically, this worked fine until we went somewhere and got the lines mixed up and ended up doing something akin to Del Boy, saying goodbye instead of please, please instead of thank you. We didn’t work out for a few days why we were getting funny looks!

Do they struggle with your broad, flat, Yorkshire patois? (no stereotyping intended :whistle:)
There's enough different types of English in the English language to learn afore we learn any others, here in the east mids (Leicestershire) we call a cob a cob, ham cob, chip cob, bacon cob etc. A few miles down the road in Cov its a batch! What's a batch?

Back