Constant DPF regens with DPF light

T6_MOF

VIP Member
Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice… my T6 150PS is constantly doing regens, 3-4 times per tank it seems. With some needing to be forced due to engine light and glow plug light coming on. (Fault code 23967)

Soot levels never exceed 15-20g before it starts trying to regen again.

Now the previous owner got the EGR cooler and EGR mapped out… i expect the van to regen slightly more because of this but not to the extent it is.

MPG is TERRIBLE (15-20mpg motorway driving) when its trying to regen and the regens will usually take around 30/40mins to complete.

I should add the van drives absolutely fine, no limp mode and fine on power etc.

The regens are like clock work and i do a solid amount of miles so i cant see it being lack of driving/short journeys causing it. I’ve done 20k miles since December alone.

Any ideas what the issues could be down to?

When you say the regens are like clockwork - is that a certain mileage since the last regen or after, say, 20 minutes of driving each time?
My T6.1 150PS also regens about 3 times per tank and, yes, it burns fuel when it is doing it but it does start when it is at 30g and burns down to 8.5 or 9g depending on the mood at the time and generally takes about 10 or 15 minutes (the van has done 20k).

I don't know the ins and outs of EGR blanking so can't give you any advice.

Yeah usually starts after about 20mins or so... which I'm assuming is because the vans up to temp by then. I've never seen the soot level above 25g when checking, this isn't to say it doesn't get higher though.

I've had the DPF light come on with only 9g of soot, to clear the DPF light I have to force a regen but it won't allow a forced regen until around 11g of soot.

My main issue with it is the fuel consumption, it's sh*t! When it's not choosing to regen the fuel economy is great and I can see numbers as high at 50mpg

What sort of mileage is the van and is it the original DPF?

Just wondering if it's got a build up of ash residue that won't regen.

How are you reading the soot figures and are there any other figures such as oil ash residue or similar?

Van is on 96k, original DPF i assume. No paperwork to suggest otherwise.

I've been reading the log on Carista, only gives soot levels.

How would you go about clearing ash residue? Premium fuels etc or DPF off and full flush?

Premium fuels are only likely to help minimise ash produced or clean deposits in the fuel system/injectors.

If you have the Carista dongle try VAG-DPF (Android) or DPF for VAG (iPhone) that might show you more detail.

Also see this recent thread:

Heres the results. Conveniently did a regen on my way home.

How is the ash residue level? It appears high to me but I’m not sure what a high level is.

IMG_0183.png

Back