Dead spots on my multimedia touch screen

CALLAKN

Electrician / Linesman
VIP Member
T6 Legend
My 2017 highline with the larger multimedia screen has decided to give me some dead spots on the touch screen middle to the right of the screen. Does anyone know of a fix that doesn’t break the bank? I see you can potentially reprogramme it?

Cheers

Callum

Almost certainly failure of the touch sensitive part of the screen. If you search the forum you will find lots of information from DIY replacement to people who will do this for a fee. An example here

you will need a new touch screen fitting
Easy job to do see details of screen below ,also their is a clip on the forum for fitting.
Volkswagen VW T6 Caravelle MIB STD2 PQ touch screen digitizer for lcd display

I did mine yesterday - need a bit of patience, some small Torx screwdrivers oh and the new screen.

Almost certainly failure of the touch sensitive part of the screen. If you search the forum you will find lots of information from DIY replacement to people who will do this for a fee. An example here

Hi, I can't find the link to see the replacement instructions, is it a relatively easy job to do, and is it possible to send me a link for the tutorial please?

Hi, I can't find the link to see the replacement instructions, is it a relatively easy job to do, and is it possible to send me a link for the tutorial please?
It's post 72 in the long thread linked to a above, this should take you directly there:

It's not really a full tutorial more a step by step set of pictures, it's worth reading the rest of the thread for other folks experience. In particular some parts are supplied with TWO layers of protective film which has caught some folks out as the second layer is hard to see and just looks like you got a low quality fuzzy screen.

Last edited:
Thanks for this, so to replace this screen its quiet straight forward, no really difficult complex bits?

It needs a coupe of tiny torx screwdrivers and I found it a bit fiddly to remove the SD card slot out of the way but it all went back together alright and I can be quite hamfisted with jobs like this :rolleyes:

As I understand the original digitiser is bonded to the screen and this aftermarket approach sits in front. However is there a VW part for a replacement screen/ digitiser?

As I understand the original digitiser is bonded to the screen and this aftermarket approach sits in front. However is there a VW part for a replacement screen/ digitiser?

You can heat up the bonding and remove the original digitiser and then pop the aftermarket one in it's place, that's the better way of doing it but I think to save time and effort it gets ignored and just popped in front. I can't see any difference in quality after doing this so am happy enough with the result.

Am sure VW will just try and tell you your whole unit is screwed and needs replacing at £1000s

If your original is just failed electrically and not debonding/bubbling then most folks have found you can just put the new one over the top.

I think other people found a supplier for a screen+bonded digitiser part - but that's more expensive and for most not needed.

I’m up for just changing the digitiser, there is nothing wrong with the screen behind and I wouldn’t want to risk damaging the LCD by trying to separate them. Looking on the great auction site they seem to vary between £20-£35. However the products all appear to have the same photos, can anyone confirm if there is a difference?

Still not sure how to proceed on this as the ebay supplier makes it plain that installation should be done by a expert, so would be good to have feedback from somebody who has done the job using ebay parts and just stuck the new screen on top of the other and now hopefully the touch screen works ok, has anyone done this and happy with result?

Still not sure how to proceed on this as the ebay supplier makes it plain that installation should be done by a expert, so would be good to have feedback from somebody who has done the job using ebay parts and just stuck the new screen on top of the other and now hopefully the touch screen works ok, has anyone done this and happy with result?
I did mine earlier on in the year.

Tool wise I bought a 'Magnusson' 22 pc tiny screwdriver set thing (PH00, T5 and T6 Torx heads) from Screwfix for £10.99
1718355983033.png

Then you need to set aside 2hrs, clear some space, have a little pot to put the screws in, get a nice cup of tea and just follow the YT video. Definitely not a job for rushing, take your time and Job's a good 'un.
Don't get hung up on removing the old screen, you don't need to. It's a 100% fix for under £30 inc. screen from Ebay and you have a set of handy tiny screwdrivers.

I bought mine from here;
Answered my question as to the correct part almost immediately and screen rrived the next day. £30.00 including postage.
There is a really good video on Youtube posted by a Canadian guy which I followed and which I'm trying to find again. Will post if / when I find it.

Back