Devonport / Davenport alloy wheels

Ident

Morning and firstly apologies if this has been posted, I looked before posting honest !

I have a T6.1 with standard 16 inch Clayton alloys and 205 tyres and they look a bit small

I see a lot of Davenport wheels for sale and wonder if these would make a real difference as they are not a lot larger I am wanting to keep a relatively standard look and not go too big for practicality but would like the wheels and tyres to look more ' beefy '

Im looking in the future to do a fair amount of long journeys in it so the 17s seem like a decent compromise to me and they are not expensive really

Any thoughts very welcome as well as anyone with a set of really good ones for sale also near Stratford on Avon but can travel a bit for the right set if these are the right wheel

Cheers.

All I can say is that I've got Devonport's on mine and the drive is good for a van - IMHO, they also look better, especially with bolt covers rather than the black star things and they're easier to clean that Claytons. That said, I've upgraded the suspension (with only a slight drop in height) and that, I think, the major contribution factor to the comfort. Going back to the days before the suspension change, the 17s were more comfortable that the original 16" Claytons but it wasn't night and day as it is now. I would also advise to be choosey if / when you come to buy the Devonport's. They often come up for sale here on T6F at greatly differing prices with some asking £500 - 600 which IMHO is way, way too much (but good luck to them if they get it!) but every now and then, a real bargain appears, especially if it's within an easy travelling distance from you.

Reactions: JOG
All I can say is that I've got Devonport's on mine and the drive is good for a van - IMHO, they also look better, especially with bolt covers rather than the black star things and they're easier to clean that Claytons. That said, I've upgraded the suspension (with only a slight drop in height) and that, I think, the major contribution factor to the comfort. Going back to the days before the suspension change, the 17s were more comfortable that the original 16" Claytons but it wasn't night and day as it is now. I would also advise to be choosey if / when you come to buy the Devonport's. They often come up for sale here on T6F at greatly differing prices with some asking £500 - 600 which IMHO is way, way too much (but good luck to them if they get it!) but every now and then, a real bargain appears, especially if it's within an easy travelling distance from you.
Hi Ayjay. Thanks for that. Yes I think for all the same reasons you mention this is why I am thinking about the new wheels and Im not in a massive rush to get them but they do look better I think if only a little bit. I am very impressed with the van ( it is my first VW as I have had several Vitos ) and it is a massive improvement already even with the standard wheels but I just want it to look a little more beefy like I said in the post and so will keep my eye out for a newish set locally

there is a brand new set (delivery miles) for sale on here, if I could find the ad!

I think tyres make a big difference to, I've just put some Michelin cross climates on 235 55 17 103 load rate and find them much quieter than the standard continentals, run mine with spacers/adapters and lowered about 40mm1000010280.jpg

Yeah the wife has Springfield alloys on hers and will be selling these as she wants new wheels . So I think she has had a set of the Davenport wheels and she had a set on for a week or 2 and like them. But she is moving back to 18s but she did say that the caravelle ran good enough with the 17s. I think she has about 8 sets of wheels at the last count. She’s not into handbags, shoes, or shopping. Ha ha ha ha

I think tyres make a big difference to, I've just put some Michelin cross climates on 235 55 17 103 load rate and find them much quieter than the standard continentals, run mine with spacers/adapters and lowered about 40mmView attachment 244137
Hi - could you please tell me info on your spacers? Where you bought them? Is your van lowered?
Many thanks
Neil

there is a brand new set (delivery miles) for sale on here, if I could find the ad!
I suspect that one of the sets that I was talking about as IMHO being an bit over-priced at £550 or thereabouts - that said, I suppose their true worth is what someones's willing to pay for them! By contrast, I seem to recall that there was another lot on here not too long ago at about half that which would be a bargain.

Your van, your taste, your opinion. Otherwise it’s about as valid as ‘does my arse look big in this?’

Hi - could you please tell me info on your spacers? Where you bought them? Is your van lowered?
Many thanks
Neil
Hi @N13LRO they are koni special active shocks with I think 40mm lowering springs which @CRS Performance supplied, I'm also running spacers/adapters 21mm front and 25mm rear, which are h&r :thumbsup:
Many thanks
Neil

Hi @N13LRO they are koni special active shocks with I think 40mm lowering springs which @CRS Performance supplied, I'm also running spacers/adapters 21mm front and 25mm rear, which are h&r :thumbsup:
Thanks for your reply- much appreciated. My shuttle has same suspension and looking for swamper set up and now contemplating putting bigger tyres on Devonports

I swapped out my claytons for Devonports. Great cheap upgrade in my opinion, you can often pick them up with nearly new tyres for less than the cost of new tyres for the claytons making the alloy upgrade effectively free.

17" over the stock 16's doesn't sound like much but personally I think it is a big improvement. I'm now running devonports and struggling to justify a wheel upgrade, I think I would be much better saving the money for suspension and spacers going for that OEM plus look as @Lloydy is rocking well!

I think tyres make a big difference to, I've just put some Michelin cross climates on 235 55 17 103 load rate and find them much quieter than the standard continentals, run mine with spacers/adapters and lowered about 40mmView attachment 244137
Thanks for this, they do look good and I was thinking about going larger on the tyres when needed also I think they give a cleaner look Im not going to lower the van but will probably add spacers

There seem to be a few about but they vary huge amount in price and also they seem to be a distance away. if I can find a set at a good price locally I will pick some up I think

Your van, your taste, your opinion. Otherwise it’s about as valid as ‘does my arse look big in this?’
Simply asking for what others think looks good on their vans I value the opinion they have about what they feel looks good :)

We currently run DevonportsView attachment 244179
They do look good. A cleaner style I think to the Claytons

To add to this I think I will go for the Devonports at some point so will add some spacers for now and then keep looking for them until I can find a set locally at a decent price.

I have seen a few people talking about spacers, is it ' normal ' to have 25 on the back and less on the front ? I was considering 25 F and 30 R but wonder if this might be too much with the Clayton / Davenport ?

The H&R adaptor spacers are the strongest safest way to do this and TUV approved of course , we carry them in stock they come with all the hardware to mount ( 20 bolts per axle ) they have the bolts that are the same as the VW genuine ones domed . Look great with 17 inch Devonports £140.00 per axle kit ( 2 adaptors 20 bolts per kit )

21 mm front 25 mm rear is the best way to do it .

Adaptors are so much safer than spacers and long bolts ( we have seen nightmares with normal spacers )

To add to this I think I will go for the Devonports at some point so will add some spacers for now and then keep looking for them until I can find a set locally at a decent price.

I have seen a few people talking about spacers, is it ' normal ' to have 25 on the back and less on the front ? I was considering 25 F and 30 R but wonder if this might be too much with the Clayton / Davenport ?
I got a set of Devonports picked up from England and delivered to me in Scotland for £50.
A company called paisley freight.

The H&R adaptor spacers are the strongest safest way to do this and TUV approved of course , we carry them in stock they come with all the hardware to mount ( 20 bolts per axle ) they have the bolts that are the same as the VW genuine ones domed . Look great with 17 inch Devonports £140.00 per axle kit ( 2 adaptors 20 bolts per kit )

21 mm front 25 mm rear is the best way to do it .

Adaptors are so much safer than spacers and long bolts ( we have seen nightmares with normal spacers )

And there's enough depth for the wheel bolts to grip safely on the 21mm ones?

Back