Do you cook / toilet in your van? And other musings.

Most human senses are to some extent "self calibrating" to the normal property of the environment.

When I do work in theatre tech rooms they are often lit in dull red, after an hour or so if you step out into the daylight everything is tinged in green for the first few minutes as your vision has got used to the red tinge.

Generally the only aspects that don't are where there is an evolutionary advantage for them not to be. So for instance the smell of vomit tends to make you retch because in our evolutionary history if one of the party ate something bad it was an advantage for others to throw up and hopefully avoid the same fate.

Frequently cook bacon on the hob, and have done pizza and warming up curries in the little gas-fired oven, always with roof and side vents open, sometimes sliding door open too. We have never yet detected any cooking smells lingering on entering the van. Toilet is only used for overnight needs when impractical to use the campsite facilities, and number ones only.
So far so good then... This demountable i went in bloody stank.... cooking fat, farts and fag smoke. Honestly they couldn't smell it themselves but it almost knocked me out.

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
Most human senses are to some extent "self calibrating" to the normal property of the environment.

When I do work in theatre tech rooms they are often lit in dull red, after an hour or so if you step out into the daylight everything is tinged in green for the first few minutes as your vision has got used to the red tinge.

Generally the only aspects that don't are where there is an evolutionary advantage for them not to be. So for instance the smell of vomit tends to make you retch because in our evolutionary history if one of the party ate something bad it was an advantage for others to throw up and hopefully avoid the same fate.
Well exactly... the couple who asked me couldn't really smell it that much, but I was hit with a wall of cooking fat, farty stale turds and fag smoke. It reeked.
You get used to your own smell dont you.
Like I know a few people who can't smell their own breath and B.O.. but shit and onions are smells id rather not be around

Reactions: CAB
Well exactly... the couple who asked me couldn't really smell it that much, but I was hit with a wall of cooking fat, farty stale turds and fag smoke. It reeked.
You get used to your own smell dont you.
Like I know a few people who can't smell their own breath and B.O.. but shit and onions are smells id rather not be around
And that's your choice and thiers was thiers.

What a boring world it would be if we were all clones.

Back