Don't use these fuses box sets

Jim Rey

Retired Software Engineer
T6 Guru
IMG_2742.jpg

I bought this fuse set box from an eBay seller. When I put an Orange 5A fuse from the box into my lighting circuit fuse panel the cable supplying my `LED roof lights almost melted.
I have done an experiment to demonstrate the serious issue with these fuses using my diesel heater which draws over 9A DC when the glow plug indicator is lit.

Even at over 9A dc the "5A fuse" did not blow. Using these fuses can put your pride and joy and risk should any device in your campervan/motorhome develop a fault or short.

See uploaded YouTube video click HERE to see how I could draw over 9A DC through this "5A" fuse without it blowing

@Jim Rey Surly if your lighting cable almost melted you must have a fault with your lights or good quality 5A fuses would just keep blowing

@Jim Rey Surly if your lighting cable almost melted you must have a fault with your lights or good quality 5A fuses would just keep blowing
Yes I did have a fault with lights. The original 5A fuses blew OK as they should have done. My point here is that the eBay ones did not blow and melted my cables. I traced the fault to a shorted cable on one of the lights. The video is currently uploading which explains all. Have a look at the youtube video using the link above

Last edited:
Not saying these particular fuses aren't sh*t* but a thermal fuse has a performance curve. A 5A fuse is likely to withstand 6A for maybe 60 seconds and would typically need 8A to blow in less than 1 second and would probably be in excess of 20A for less than 0.1 second.

So any cabling has to be sized for the expected fault current / time of the fuse characteristic. Your problem here is more that the lighting cable was undersize for the fuse even if the fuse had a dodgy characteristic.

Many people don't understand this...saying things like "Oh the lights are only 12watts (1A)" for an easy example and so size the cable for 1A or 2A and not the fuse size.

Not saying these particular fuses aren't sh*t* but a thermal fuse has a performance curve. A 5A fuse is likely to withstand 6A for maybe 60 seconds and would typically need 8A to blow in less than 1 second and would probably be in excess of 20A for less than 0.1 second.

So any cabling has to be sized for the expected fault current / time of the fuse characteristic. Your problem here is more that the lighting cable was undersize for the fuse even if the fuse had a dodgy characteristic.

Many people don't understand this...saying things like "Oh the lights are only 12watts (1A)" for an easy example and so size the cable for 1A or 2A and not the fuse size.
Have you watched the video I made? The fuses are sh*t and a hazard. I would guess that some of those horrific examples of motorhomes going on fire might be down to faulty electrical systems and perhaps fuses that don't blow when they should

See uploaded YouTube video click HERE

Reactions: CAB
Good video.As I said not defending the fuses but some over current for a short time is expected. Would be interesting to see the same demo with say a halfords supplied 5A fuse.

In you situation when the wire heats the current will go down as resistance increases so even less chance that a dodgy fuse will blow.

Good video.As I said not defending the fuses but some over current for a short time is expected. Would be interesting to see the same demo with say a halfords supplied 5A fuse.

In you situation when the wire heats the current will go down as resistance increases so even less chance that a dodgy fuse will blow.
Yes but the other "good 5A fuses" I had from an Asda bulb set blew instantly. This how a fuse should operate. Look at the wire thickness of the fuses as illustrated in the video. That's what the concern is. Would you, after watching my video, take a chance on these fuses?

No certainly would not...but just pointing out that a normal 5A fuse will take significant over current for a short period.

PS. Just spent the day wiring a 1MVA transformer with 3x240mm2 cable per phase. So I do have some experience :)

Another interesting one - although testing 400 mA fuses - a different type of fuse but principles apply

Fast forward to 22:35 - load 700 mA (=current 1.75 times nominal)
or at 23:15 - load 800 mA (=current 2x nominal)

Whether its fuses, cables etc, buying from reputable dealers like 12 volt planet is best but sometimes the ease of using Amazon does take over and like eBay I’m sure there’s some Chinese tosh on there as well - good video by the way and I agree it would be interesting to have see it with a 5amp fuse from say Halfords to see at what amps they pop

Whether its fuses, cables etc, buying from reputable dealers like 12 volt planet is best but sometimes the ease of using Amazon does take over and like eBay I’m sure there’s some Chinese tosh on there as well - good video by the way and I agree it would be interesting to have see it with a 5amp fuse from say Halfords to see at what amps they pop
Good idea! Think I will do another test as per your suggestion. Update here later in week.

I’ve had similar with eBay fuses, my issue was that the legs were a bit thin creating a weak connection, the weak connection basically melted the fuse holder and the plastic

Just had a look on Halfords website Halfords Assorted Mini Blade Fuses SBOX802 | Halfords UK

Rather than me trying to make another video demonstrating the danger of these so-called fuses have a look at this video. This is a serious issue and needs to be highlighted
Watch here for an excellent video on the subject >>> Dodgy fuses video - click here

Rather than me trying to make another video demonstrating the danger of these so-called fuses have a look at this video. This is a serious issue and needs to be highlighted
Watch here for an excellent video on the subject >>> Dodgy fuses video - click here
Great video, gonna get myself some of those 5amp no name fuses, looks like they last forever :oops:

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
I submitted a report to eBay. Looks like A.I. determined I did not have a legitimate complaint. See below. Makes you wonder what kind of world we will have when robotic software makes human decisions!! Still, that's just about the last thing I will order from eBay. Some of the sellers, including the seller that provided my set of fuses, don't seem too concerned about safety...worrying indeed. Profit above everything else ...it seems.

I submitted following report to eBay......

+++. Item: 394692948841 120pcs Standard Blade Fuse Assortment Auto Car Truck Motorcycle SUV Fuses Kit UK +++
These fuses, in my opinion and in testing, are not safe. So-called 5A fuses did not blow and melted the wiring to my lights in my campervan. There are many of these listings and I am concerned that they are not fit for the purposes intended i.e safeguarding electrical circuits.
They should be withdrawn from sale on eBay

+++++++++++++++++ eBay response ++++++++++++

Hello jrey***,
Thanks again for reporting the listing(s) you found.

What happened:
We looked into your report and didn’t find the listing to be in violation of our policy. This determination was made using automation or artificial intelligence.

If you reported content that isn’t listed below, we’ll send a separate email once we’ve made a decision..

Your reference ID:
2-183525910383

Here are the listings you reported that are included in this decision:
Item: 394692948841 120pcs Standard Blade Fuse Assortment Auto Car Truck Motorcycle SUV Fuses Kit UK

Thank you for being part of the eBay community.
Thanks,

Back