EGR flush apparently "not covered" by VW extended warranty?

paltibin

A few months ago I bought the extended warranty (All In Plan) for my ex AA 2017 T6 150 with 69k miles. The don't have any pre checks now it just has to be under 6 years and under 100k miles.

Had the EGR code come up with EML so booked into Sinclairs Van center in Cardiff today. They came back and said an EGR flush is needed which isn't covered by the extended warranty but VW had agreed to do it half price for a goodwill gesture. This is going to cost £177 and that's with 50% discount!!!

I thought that many of you were getting EGR flushes done under the All in Warranty plan and some people had a flush for free from the AA when they called them under the breakdown part? This all seems very inconsistent and I'm not sure why the flush isn't covered?

I hope the flush fixes the problem but is it worth me arguing that it should be covered?

Thanks

If you get it done make sure they replace the front egr pipe, it’s a new design - there’s a post on here somewhere with good pictures showing the difference between the old one and the new one

A few months ago I bought the extended warranty (All In Plan) for my ex AA 2017 T6 150 with 69k miles. The don't have any pre checks now it just has to be under 6 years and under 100k miles.

Had the EGR code come up with EML so booked into Sinclairs Van center in Cardiff today. They came back and said an EGR flush is needed which isn't covered by the extended warranty but VW had agreed to do it half price for a goodwill gesture. This is going to cost £177 and that's with 50% discount!!!

I thought that many of you were getting EGR flushes done under the All in Warranty plan and some people had a flush for free from the AA when they called them under the breakdown part? This all seems very inconsistent and I'm not sure why the flush isn't covered?

I hope the flush fixes the problem but is it worth me arguing that it should be covered?

Thanks
If you look at the documentation failure due to carbon isn’t covered, it’s very clear.

Thanks
I also have the extended warranty(all in plan) A Shuttle with 22,000 miles had a yellow warning light (emissions-related issue) it isn't covered under the plan, the dealer
CordWallis has quoted me £1121.88 for an EGR flush, who did you contact at VW ?

I also have the extended warranty(all in plan) A Shuttle with 22,000 miles had a yellow warning light (emissions-related issue) it isn't covered under the plan, the dealer
CordWallis has quoted me £1121.88 for an EGR flush, who did you contact at VW ?
You can get a new EGR for much less than that. If the EGR is clogged at 22K you either have a contributory problem or it’s a mis-diagnosis.

I had mine done twice for free.

First time (approx 1 year old) while still under the 3-year warranty.

Second time, just over 3 years old but had the All-in-one plan; however VWCV Manchester said it wasn't done under the plan, but under goodwill.

So I would push the dealer, if not phone VW UK to see what you can get.

Edit: sorry, forgot to quote you:
@Shuttlejohn

Last edited:
You can get a new EGR for much less than that. If the EGR is clogged at 22K you either have a contributory problem or it’s a mis-diagnosis.
Got a quote from another dealer for an EGR flush of £408.00 they also quoted £1709.00 to replace EGR, I am going to ask the first dealer to quote to replace EGR.

Reactions: CAB
Got a quote from another dealer for an EGR flush of £408.00 they also quoted £1709.00 to replace EGR, I am going to ask the first dealer to quote to replace EGR.
Try a good independent garage IMO if you want to save a pile of £££££.
As I mentioned before the EGR shouldn’t be clogged at 22K, more normal at 70 - 90K.
I would get a second opinion, post fault codes on the Forum.

Try a good independent garage IMO if you want to save a pile of £££££.
As I mentioned before the EGR shouldn’t be clogged at 22K, more normal at 70 - 90K.
I would get a second opinion, post fault codes on the Forum.
Both garages have quoted changing different parts in doing the flush (pipes etc) first garage parts at £347.88 labour at £630.00 the second garage parts at £99.18. and labour at £309.60, the first garage is changing more parts I would think VW would have a standard procedure.

Anyone tried a DIY? Some video on YouTube.
Desolves the carbon soaking in DPF cleaner

No spray is going to touch carbon, unless it’s oven cleaner (caustic) and I don’t advise putting that through the engine as you will also remove a layer of piston.
There is one solution and that is replace the EGR unit.
I have removed and manually cleaned a EGR cooler / valve with caustic and mechanical means (long drill with a jig), definitely not worth the amount of labour and mess. The 204ps cooler design is not a straight tube cooler so mechanical cleaning is not possible, without penetrating the hard carbon it is not possible to get the chemicals in.
This was done with a 102ps EGR which has a round, two pass tube formation, same as 150ps.
In addition the only place I found the NBR coated stainless steel gasket is in Brazil.

Thanks
Was the flush successful? Have you had any problems since?

Back