European breakdown cover

It’s all in the contract, might not be obvious at first glance but as with all insurance details you need to read from cover to cover.
Yes kind off however if it is a key exclusion then they would be expected to draw it your attention in a key features document as it is generally accepted by ombudsman that people do not read the full t&c
‘S which aren’t usually given after the contract is taken out. Therefore the pre contract documents need to have key features and exclusions. In the absence of it being pointed out you’d likely win at any ombudsman. However i do agree you should read it all.

Yes kind off however if it is a key exclusion then they would be expected to draw it your attention in a key features document as it is generally accepted by ombudsman that people do not read the full t&c
‘S which aren’t usually given after the contract is taken out. Therefore the pre contract documents need to have key features and exclusions. In the absence of it being pointed out you’d likely win at any ombudsman. However i do agree you should read it all.
It’s the law in France, nothing particular to the insurer. It’s a case of reading the driving regulations for the country you are planning to visit.

It’s the law in France, nothing particular to the insurer. It’s a case of reading the driving regulations for the country you are planning to visit.
Agreed, it's not so much a case of XYZ Recovery refusing to tow you off an autoroute, it's just that they aren't allowed to. Whether your cover allows you to recover the costs afterwards is the crux. It's also an offence to run out of fuel on a French Autoroute, so if you do, you might have a fine to pay on top of the recovery costs.

It's a totally impractical proposition for any recovery firm to list all the relevant rules and regs that might impact their service, across every national and regional jurisdiction for which they are providing cover. I can't see the Ombudsman ever ruling in favour of the consumer in those circumstances and, even if they did, the end result would be a mass exodus from the market.

I experienced the nuances of this first hand, you have to phone the French emergency services and they arrange the recovery with the local provider. You then pay or your insurer pays that company directly. The AA sorted this out with the local recovery company over the phone, think it was about £250. All of the above doesn't sound too bad but if you're French isn't great it's significantly more difficult!

Pay for the top level RAC EU cover. This includes bringing you and your van home. Expensive but worth the peace of mind.

Me and the missus have a 3-week European road planned for May, French Atlantic coast > Pyrenees > Costa Bravo. Have driven to Spain before but it is the first time doing it in the van

Our breakdown cover is also up for renewal - it's currently AA.

I'd like to be as prepared as possible (within reason), as I have heard horror stories about people being stuck in other countries for weeks whilst their van is being fixed. Any providers I should avoid or ones that people would recommend specifically for good European cover?

For reference, my van is a 2017 204 T6, with 50k on the clock which I've owned for the last year. It had a new ERG valve last year under warranty from the dealer I brought it from. No other known issues but will be getting my regular garage to give it a very thorough service before we go.
Maybe not best advice for buying individual plan but when your insurance runs out Che the combined package with European cover with Cara and Guard or Safeguard insurance Ans breakdown £400 which I thought was fair?

Back