FOOD - What do you prep/take with you?

T6ChrisO

AutoCAD engineer
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Morning my fellow money spenders on the stuff we don't need.............daily

Todays discussion, what sort of meals do you prep at home and then take with you to heat up?

Reason I ask is me and the missus keep having all the motivation and best will in the world to cook up something nice whilst away but never end up doing it. The ingredients just sit there and we end up making something much simpler with half of the ingredients ha ha.

Equipment wise I have a small gas stove and Cadac Safari that I can use.

Shawarma chicken. Make up the marinade in a sealed container, then whap it on the barbecue when you get there. Serve in wrap with salad.

I’m assuming you have some refrigeration here.
Sorry, yes I have a fridge :)

Bacon
Bread
Butter

And some grated cheese in case we get peckish and fancy a toastie later in the day

Otherwise my good wife (and me) have a break and let the pub kitchens take the strain
Cant beat a bacon butty ha ha!
Unfortunately my anxiety goes through the roof when it comes to dining out. I just get really uncomfortable :(

Cant beat a bacon butty ha ha!
Unfortunately my anxiety goes through the roof when it comes to dining out. I just get really uncomfortable :(
The other stuff we sometimes take is like a charcuterie board, meats, pickles, olives and some fresh bread, maybe some dips and crisps too. Really great when the weather is nice with a cold beer. A just get it all out pickie tea

The other stuff we sometimes take is like a charcuterie board, meats, pickles, olives and some fresh bread, maybe some dips and crisps too. Really great when the weather is nice with a cold beer. A just get it all out pickie tea
Yeah 100% when that suns shining there's nothing better than 'picky bits' ha ha

We will take a few bits from the home fridge to save them going to waste (plus a few beers!) and maybe take a meal for the first night if arriving late. Otherwise, we buy local or eat in the local pub/cafe to support the community we are visiting. Love getting fresh local produce for the BBQ or staggering back from the village pub!

having the portable fridge/freezer is must for us frozen everything spag bol, sausages,s salmon, burgers diced chicken marinated chicken, rib eye steak the beauty of it being frozen you dont waste anything.
I find frozen onions are a good bet do your own cheaper, frozen peppers naan breads
top tip dice the chicken before you go then just tip it in frying pan or whatever you use no messy cutting up
A lot of stuff we take is surplus to a meal at home and frozen.

having the portable fridge/freezer is must for us frozen everything spag bol, sausages,s salmon, burgers diced chicken marinated chicken, rib eye steak the beauty of it being frozen you dont waste anything.
I find frozen onions are a good bet do your own cheaper, frozen peppers naan breads
top tip dice the chicken before you go then just tip it in frying pan or whatever you use no messy cutting up
A lot of stuff we take is surplus to a meal at home and frozen.
Funny, dicing the chicken seems so obvious to save hassle but i've never thought about it! Thank you

Our home freezer usually contains a selection of homemade, single-pot meals (curries, stews, chilli con carne, etc.) that are easy to reheat. We just throw a coupe of these in the van fridge - one in the freezer section and one in the fridge section for use on the evening of arrival. Having, effectively, 2 solid blocks of ice in the fridge helps get/keep the fridge down to temperature.

Beyond that, it's either the pub or the occasional BBQ/Pizza. (using locally sourced provisions).

Our home freezer usually contains a selection of homemade, single-pot meals (curries, stews, chilli con carne, etc.) that are easy to reheat. We just throw a coupe of these in the van fridge - one in the freezer section and one in the fridge section for use on the evening of arrival. Having, effectively, 2 solid blocks of ice in the fridge helps get/keep the fridge down to temperature.

Beyond that, it's either the pub or the occasional BBQ/Pizza. (using locally sourced provisions).
Yeah im certainly thinking of going down the frozen chilli, curry route and then just heat up on the hob

Foie gras, Caviare and blinis, lobster. Largely what my butler chooses for us.
This is a little extreme, I would probably ask the butler (google maps) to ask the concierge (wife on the phone) to make a reservation at a reputable local fine dining establishment (pub) instead.

Although I believe we have actually had Foie gras for lunch in the van in France ;)

Google the nearest Chinese, Indian and Pizza places. If we're on holiday I can't really expect the wife to cook so we do some takeaways, local pub. and a good farm shop.

Stayed away Tuesday.. cooked chicken cut up small, some reheatable rice and mixed beans in spicy sauce. All in a pan on my gas stove.

Breakfast.. the rice and spicy beans I didnt finish from the night before and fresh coffee made on the stove.

Don't have a great imagination for van food!

Last edited:
Back