H7 Headlamp - Changing DRL Bulb

Yes. You can buy the bulb holder as a separate part. TPS sold them but I think they may now be trade only. Otherwise its a dealer part.

Thanks - how can I fin the part number to order? Is there an online catalogue?

I've tried this link from other post but my in is not recognised.

***EDIT*** - Please ignore my question - I found it on the part... doh

BR,
L

Last edited:
Thanks - how can I fin the part number to order? Is there an online catalogue?

I've tried this link from other post but my in is not recognised.

***EDIT*** - Please ignore my question - I found it on the part... doh

BR,
L
[/QUOTE
@tollmy drivers drl consistently goes after 3 months. The garage say they are a well know problem. Last time they took the bumper off for ease! Please could you send me a picture of the drivers del tool and bulb fitted. Sorry I am such a novice ... totally fed up looking the warning light! TIA.

I think you need a dedicated holder for each DRL bulb... I’ll try searching for the exact VW part number and see if can buy these from VW directly
Thank you for having a look. Paul

Clever thinking, do you think they would rectify the problem if a fault occured?
I am afraid halfords wouldn't sort it if they fail .... they failed on my old Freelander, thought thankfully didn't break anything. If they break a pin or a connector and it is out of site - you're buffered so to speak!!!! Yes I got a refund ... and managed it himself!!

Just wanted to update you on Changing my o/s DRL!!! I HAVEMANAGED TO GET IT OUT!
Firtsly big thanks to Ed and @Dieseldonkey for their Photos and advice. JUST TO CLARIFY this is a B1tch of a job and took me 45 mins to get it out! I have small hands and that helps -strong light and Dentist's mirror will ALSO help!!!
Photo 1 - this is the n/s DRL location circled in Red.
Photo 2 - showing the bulb holder and bulb. Close up of Bulb: TYPE W21W
Photo 3 - THE METAL CONTACT has deteriorated on one side and was really dirty I have now cleaned it up.
Photo 4 - TIP: Tie a piece of string/elastic the end when refitting so if you drop it you can get it back easily.

I have a 16 plate Shuttle and these are the bulbs fitted ... it has been mentioned H7 bulbs fit- don't want to confuse but I have H7 on my Landie and they don't look like this.

Screenshot_20210112-184233_Chrome.jpg

20210118_144618.jpg

20210118_192909.jpg

20210118_192414.jpg

Screenshot_20210112-184233_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: CAB
Hey, if you have issues with the bulb holder, you can get a replacement from https://tps.trade/ - the part number is "7E0941156" and it cost around £13.

I think the "word on the street" was that the TPS doesn'tIMG_8270.jpegIMG_8269.jpeg deal with direct customers anymore but I managed to get a replacement for myself.

And to be honest, taking out the bulb holder is easy - putting it back is a nightmare! Took me about 2-3hrs to eventually get them back. I think it all depends how big are your hands, mine a pretty big so I got them scratched all over :D but it was satisfying was I got the to work with the LED bulbs...

I have a 16 plate Shuttle and these are the bulbs fitted ... it has been mentioned H7 bulbs fit- don't want to confuse but I have H7 on my Landie and they don't look like this.

The H7 bulbs are the ones in dipped and main beam.

Your type of headlight is referred to as a H7 because it takes the H7 type of bulb.

And the picture below best describes the difference between H4 & H7 so it should help match what you have on your van...

IMG_8122.jpg

Reactions: CAB
Hey, if you have issues with the bulb holder, you can get a replacement from https://tps.trade/ - the part number is "7E0941156" and it cost around £13.

I think the "word on the street" was that the TPS doesn'tView attachment 99298View attachment 99299 deal with direct customers anymore but I managed to get a replacement for myself.

And to be honest, taking out the bulb holder is easy - putting it back is a nightmare! Took me about 2-3hrs to eventually get them back. I think it all depends how big are your hands, mine a pretty big so I got them scratched all over :D but it was satisfying was I got the to work with the LED bulbs...
Thanks for this

I think the "word on the street" was that the TPS doesn'tView attachment 99298View attachment 99299 deal with direct customers anymore but I managed to get a replacement for myself.

Thanks @tollaut for all the above. Well the challenge today or Thursday is to get it back in!

Thanks for the link as well. I am determined to get it back in even though Sharkie is now sold!!!
My Mrs think I am mad... but I pick up my new Van on Tuesday! Another Vdub T6.

Cheers for that.

Good luck!

I've used the endoscope camera just to get my head around what the bulb entry looks like etc but to fit the bulb you'll have to feel it went in with the plastic bulb holder on 10 o'clock - once you feel it's in and you can see it in the lamp - you'll have to push in and turn clockwise till you rich about 12 o'clock position. I've turned the ignition and the DLR light on so I knew I got them in the right position cause they went on :D.

One more thing - if you're installing LED lights - bear in mind these have +/- so if you eventually installed the bulb back in and it doesn't work, you probably put the bulb into the holder wrong the opposite way. Take out the bulb holder, and twist the bull by 180degrees until you -/+ and the n put it back again.

Apologies if I'm not explaining this with the best English... although I've tried ;D - feel free to give me a call before you start. I'll PM you my number.

Yip, definately both main and high beam bulbs are H7 @Bluey. An H4 bulb has two filaments in the one bulb and three contacts. Good idea about the string as it will also assist in location the holder again. The problem I forsee though is that the contacts are now clean on the holder, but not on the lamp unit itself. Might be worth just gently tweeking the holder contacts out a bit to ensure they apply pressure to their counterparts.

You look a proper plonker doing it, but if you can press your eye as close as you can to the headlight, you can make out the bulb as it fumbles around behind the hole. Maybe try a bright torch or the flash light on your phone at the back of headlight to help illuminate the hole. Adjust into place once the bulb makes an appearance.

Good luck!

I've used the endoscope camera just to get my head around what the bulb entry looks like etc but to fit the bulb you'll have to feel it went in with the plastic bulb holder on 10 o'clock - once you feel it's in and you can see it in the lamp - you'll have to push in and turn clockwise till you rich about 12 o'clock position. I've turned the ignition and the DLR light on so I knew I got them in the right position cause they went on :D.

One more thing - if you're installing LED lights - bear in mind these have +/- so if you eventually installed the bulb back in and it doesn't work, you probably put the bulb into the holder wrong the opposite way. Take out the bulb holder, and twist the bull by 180degrees until you -/+ and the n put it back again.

Apologies if I'm not explaining this with the best English... although I've tried ;D - feel free to give me a call before you start. I'll PM you my number.
Thank u again for all your replies @tollaut and @Dieseldonkey the detail answers made all the difference. Thank you again. Stay safe all.

Yip, definately both main and high beam bulbs are H7 @Bluey. An H4 bulb has two filaments in the one bulb and three contacts. Good idea about the string as it will also assist in location the holder again. The problem I forsee though is that the contacts are now clean on the holder, but not on the lamp unit itself. Might be worth just gently tweeking the holder contacts out a bit to ensure they apply pressure to their counterparts.

You look a proper plonker doing it, but if you can press your eye as close as you can to the headlight, you can make out the bulb as it fumbles around behind the hole. Maybe try a bright torch or the flash light on your phone at the back of headlight to help illuminate the hole. Adjust into place once the bulb makes an appearance.
I am very good at looking a plonker.... ask the mrs!!! Cheers again and the bulb is in and working!!!

Hi, I’ve just bought some H7 headlights and I was trying to change the drl bulbs but I can’t get into one of them.

I know your meant to turn it anti-clockwise 45-90 degrees but it won’t lift out once turned. It feels like the bottom of the holder is stuck and won’t come away.

Have any of you clever people come across this before or have an idea on how to solve?

I’ve tried it with the Bulb handle but it just keeps coming off and I’ve tried it with a pair of pliers but no luck.

I’ve got a video but unsure how to share on here.

Thanks, there is the long black plastic handle to help reach the bulb holder. That is what has come off but the bulb holder remains stuck in the light fitting.

Back