Help with spec?

UH-Matt

Hi Guys

I actually had a T6 on order when they first started taking orders, but due to the stupidly long waits I cancelled my order and bought another T5.1 to convert into a camper as I needed it for this year (I use it for staying at race tracks when racing and had to have it for this season).

So now I'm considering ordering a T6 again and running the T5.1 until it arrives...

Anyway in the last year it seems there have been a lot of spec changes and I hope you all can help me with a few questions, seeing as plenty of people seem to have now had vans delivered... ;)

1. Does anyone know what removable tow bar looks like? Is it worth having over an aftermarket one? Easily removed and invisible once taken off?

2. Are the LED headlights worth the £1200 quid or whatever they are?

3. Discovery media, is it any good? I usually add aftermarket such as DNX525 Kenwood, but like the idea of OEM? With some aftermarket speakers is it powerful enough etc?

4. When ticking Discovery Media it then says "Guide & Inform-Contract duration: 3 years, 1 year FOC". Does this mean after a year there is some sort of subscription you are contracted to pay for?!

5. The "electric latch" for sliding side door, and for the tailgate option... Does this actually open and close the door, or is it just the final latch? *confused*

6. Dual Passenger seat now has option for "storage compartment". Any idea what this looks like? Double seat always had storage underneath so what's this £80 option all about?

Sorry for the long list, really looking forward to getting involved on this forum.

Will post up my T5.1 a little later, its a full conversion I did myself and the 3rd one I've done...

2. Yes, LED lights are amazing and even better than the xenons I had on my Touareg
5. Powerlatching just does the last pull in bit as you suggested but there are power closing options as well.
Active cruise with AEB is also very good.

I agree with @Loz , also heated seats are great at this time of year or if you have a bad back and I believe the Comfort Dash maybe avilable to order from next week for Kombi which is a big internal improvement.

Hi Guys

I actually had a T6 on order when they first started taking orders, but due to the stupidly long waits I cancelled my order and bought another T5.1 to convert into a camper as I needed it for this year (I use it for staying at race tracks when racing and had to have it for this season).

So now I'm considering ordering a T6 again and running the T5.1 until it arrives...

Anyway in the last year it seems there have been a lot of spec changes and I hope you all can help me with a few questions, seeing as plenty of people seem to have now had vans delivered... ;)

1. Does anyone know what removable tow bar looks like? Is it worth having over an aftermarket one? Easily removed and invisible once taken off?

2. Are the LED headlights worth the £1200 quid or whatever they are?

3. Discovery media, is it any good? I usually add aftermarket such as DNX525 Kenwood, but like the idea of OEM? With some aftermarket speakers is it powerful enough etc?

4. When ticking Discovery Media it then says "Guide & Inform-Contract duration: 3 years, 1 year FOC". Does this mean after a year there is some sort of subscription you are contracted to pay for?!

5. The "electric latch" for sliding side door, and for the tailgate option... Does this actually open and close the door, or is it just the final latch? *confused*

6. Dual Passenger seat now has option for "storage compartment". Any idea what this looks like? Double seat always had storage underneath so what's this £80 option all about?

Sorry for the long list, really looking forward to getting involved on this forum.

Will post up my T5.1 a little later, its a full conversion I did myself and the 3rd one I've done...
Which model are you thinking of getting as that would help with recommendations.

150ps Manual HIGHLINE.

Been back on forth as to weather to try a 204 and also weather to try a DSG but just don't think I need either.

This is purely for occasional use camper van, and unlikely to be used in the very cold time of year :)

My first impressions of the DSG are great i love it already, such a pleasure to drive. LEDS a must with active dipping, i drove mine back late last night from the detailing and i was amazed how well they work. The options list is endless i would tick them all if i had the money but its down to your needs really.

I think 150 is fine and I'm not a fan of DSG (understatement) so manual is good.

A huge fan of 4motion, not just for light off roading but for better handling on wet/cold roads. IMO it's a bit of a bargain and costs about the same as Satnav and LED front lights which I don't deem as very important (after three years of Cali ownership all over Europe).

The Highline is quite well specced; get the door seals, parking sensors, maybe cruise (standard is fine) and chuck the rest at the zillion extra bits you'll need once it's converted!

The base van will hold its value well, options hold very little. Worth considering.

There's a well known "case" of a standard Audi A6 2.0 diesel costing about £35k being specced up to almost £80k. The base car roughly halved in value in three years, the options retained less than 10%...

I think 150 is fine and I'm not a fan of DSG (understatement) so manual is good.

A huge fan of 4motion, not just for light off roading but for better handling on wet/cold roads. IMO it's a bit of a bargain and costs about the same as Satnav and LED front lights which I don't deem as very important (after three years of Cali ownership all over Europe).

The Highline is quite well specced; get the door seals, parking sensors, maybe cruise (standard is fine) and chuck the rest at the zillion extra bits you'll need once it's converted!

The base van will hold its value well, options hold very little. Worth considering.

I know the options are a bit of a waste in terms of resale. But this will be my 3rd T5 and 3rd conversion, the idea being this "brand new" van is going to be a keeper, so I wouldn't want to skimp over 2-3k in the grand scheme of things...

4motion and factory fit towbar then.
I've heard fitting an aftermarket tow bar is a proper PITA!

LEDs are a big upgrade on vans, a smaller one on a Cali/velle (which come with better standard lights and LED rears) so could be worth a look.

I find factory fit satnav to be pretty poor (specced it three times) as its low on features (no speed camera warnings, etc) and a pain to update so use a top end Garmin portable.

4motion and factory fit towbar then.
I've heard fitting an aftermarket tow bar is a proper PITA!

It is! I did my last one using the correct loom which has to go to front of van in *3* different places.

Trying to find what the factory removable one looks like (e.g. when bar is removed is it all fully hidden).

It is! I did my last one using the correct loom which has to go to front of van in *3* different places.

Trying to find what the factory removable one looks like (e.g. when bar is removed is it all fully hidden).
I have the removable towbar and it is basically invisible when removed. If you crouch down you will see the connector socket, but otherwise very neat.

The swan neck tow ball is stored next to the jack, also quite neat.

LEDs are a big upgrade on vans.

We finally have radicalised you!

T6 Forum is the VW van equivalent of Finsbury Park Mosque- keep repeating something long and loudly enough and even the most firm of unbelievers will convert :rofl:

So its worth £1500 or whatever for LED headlights? Thats the one bit I'm stuck on.

That and sat nav vs. aftermarket!

So its worth £1500 or whatever for LED headlights? Thats the one bit I'm stuck on.

Yes definitely worth it.
Factory sat nav is always pants for many reasons...

There is a middle ground with headlamps that upgrades the standard H4 (bulb type) single headlamp to the H7 twin headlamps which comes as part of the light and vision pack (iirc) at a more reasonable £400'ish. The general concensus and I include myself in this, is that the standard H4 set up is not very good.

If you are only going to be a occasional user of sat-nav, then I probably wouldn't bother- I have it and would say a decent Tom-Tom or Garmin system would be better.

Oh, and it would appear that the confort dash (upgraded from standard with compartment lids and nicer general finish) is being made available to order on the Kombi's at least. Would definitely consider this.

Yep the comfort dash really is a nice "upgrade" (standard on Cali Oceans and Velles).

CRD - if I had a van with standard H4 and normal tail lights, I'd probably spec it. But as the Cali/Velle get LED rears and perfectly decent H7 lights (and for the vanity driven, the shape is the same as the LED setup), I think asking the same(ish) money for them is pretty ridiculous. CRDs suggestion sounds good. I very much doubt anyone has tried H7s alongside LEDs to compare directly. We also hardly ever drive ours at night...!

VW vans seem to be well rated for towing - what are you planning on using it for @UH-Matt ?

What I find not so useful on this forum is those who have obviously ticked pretty much every options box then telling others who ask about spec that EVERY option is essential. Some are good, some are a rip off, some are pointless, some are actually pretty rubbish so for those on a budget (everyone on here, even serial box ticker Loz) it's helpful to pick and choose.

To me the engine and drivetrain is the most important bit - a Highline has plenty of nice kit and it a very nice van as it is. Sounds like the only "essential" option is the tow bar.

Last edited:
Yep the comfort dash really is a nice "upgrade" (standard on Cali Oceans and Velles).

CRD - if I had a van with standard H4 and normal tail lights, I'd probably spec it. But as the Cali/Velle get LED rears and perfectly decent H7 lights (and for the vanity driven, the shape is the same as the LED setup), I think asking the same(ish) money for them is pretty ridiculous. CRDs suggestion sounds good. I very much doubt anyone has tried H7s alongside LEDs to compare directly. We also hardly ever drive ours at night...!

VW vans seem to be well rated for towing - what are you planning on using it for @UH-Matt ?

What I find not so useful on this forum is those who have obviously ticked pretty much every options box then telling others who ask about spec that EVERY option is essential. Some are good, some are a rip off, some are pointless, some are actually pretty rubbish so for those on a budget (everyone on here, even serial box ticker Loz) it's helpful to pick and choose.

To me the engine and drivetrain is the most important bit - a Highline has plenty of nice kit and it a very nice van as it is. Sounds like the only "essential" option is the tow bar.

I tow race cars with it. The van is for camper conversion so I can stay at the circuit while racing... M3 Cup...

I think spending the extra on a Kombi would be wasted just to get the dash. What else does the Kombi get for the extra money that is handy for camper conversions?

I tow race cars with it. The van is for camper conversion so I can stay at the circuit while racing... M3 Cup...
That is AWESOME! Which track is that?

I did Bedford West in my M135i last year - an Aventador SV turned up (like that one but red) and failed the noise test so he had to rent an Atom! He was actually a very handy driver. I lived it but definitely need a lot more practise (the lap record for the M135i is almost 10s quicker than my best lap...DOH!!).

Back