Insurance Companies

If there are 2 drivers in the family unit with no claims history, but only 1 vehicle, its worth swapping the insured party each year to maintain no claims for both going forward
Exactly this, however I was unaware of the time limit between cancelling insurance and re insuring.

There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to insurance companies. Our second vehicle is a Yeti, we’d been with Quote Me Happy (Aviva) for years & they were unbeaten on price until last year, when for no reason the price went up by 50%. Our camper is with Aplan(Howdens) so I rang them & got a good price to insure the Yeti. The renewal for the Yeti has just come through from Howden for next year & is 50% up on last year, I’ve done the usual online comparisons & got a quote from AXA for £220. Phoned Howdens and they tell me that in order to get me the best price, they’ve changed underwriters from KGM to..you guessed it AXA, and their price is £335. I told them that AXA are quoting like for like online at £220 and they said, “take it”. So I have, goodbye & thanks for all the fish.

Our home insurance has been with Bradford & Bingley for the last couple of years. Just before it was due for renewal, they contacted me and said they are unable to offer me a renewal quote. No explanation. I rang to ask why, the clerk said they didn't know and had no way of finding out, only that they couldn't offer me a quote. They stressed that this did not mean I had been refused insurance or had a policy cancelled, so it will not affect future premiums with other companies - only that they are unable to insure us. Weird.

Our home insurance has been with Bradford & Bingley for the last couple of years. Just before it was due for renewal, they contacted me and said they are unable to offer me a renewal quote. No explanation. I rang to ask why, the clerk said they didn't know and had no way of finding out, only that they couldn't offer me a quote. They stressed that this did not mean I had been refused insurance or had a policy cancelled, so it will not affect future premiums with other companies - only that they are unable to insure us. Weird.
Mrs had that with Aviva on her BMW i3 EV. About 2 weeks before renewel, got a letter saying they were unable to offer a renewel. Didn't provide us with any explanation

I've just had a quote from Howden and it was reasonable at £479 including personal injury, The only concern was the van is not insured if it's not parked on my drive whilst at my home address. So if i have a delivery or need to park on the neighbours drive due to having some work done at home etc it's not insured. I do find this very odd but i cqlled them again and they did confirm this. It is okay if it's parked on a friends drive away from my address. Although its parked on my drive 99.9% of the time there is always that 0.01 % it could go walkies, not sure if all insurers are the same?

I've just had a quote from Howden and it was reasonable at £479 including personal injury, The only concern was the van is not insured if it's not parked on my drive whilst at my home address. So if i have a delivery or need to park on the neighbours drive due to having some work done at home etc it's not insured. I do find this very odd but i cqlled them again and they did confirm this. It is okay if it's parked on a friends drive away from my address. Although its parked on my drive 99.9% of the time there is always that 0.01 % it could go walkies, not sure if all insurers are the same?
It’s another nonsense way to charge more money.
Parked on your driveway with no security is free but a gated, fenced carp park with CCTV is an extra £100.

Years ago I moved house.

Unsurprisingly my car insurance went up, with the insurer telling me it was a highter crime area.

Except it wasn't. The publicly available data on the local police website showed it was lower for all forms of autocrime, and less recorded RTA's in the new postcode area.

I rang the insurer back and confronted them with this and they went "oh" and "ah" and quickly put the premium back to the old figure.

Making a false representation in order to make a pecuniary gain is nothing short of fraud, and anyone else trying it would end up before a court yet insurers, solicitors, estate agents and all the other useless dross that leeches off the back of society seem to get away with it time and time again.

May years ago, we lived in an area of Manchester that went under the M25 postcode. All our insurances were reasonably priced. After a couple of years at that address the post office decided to split the area up into several separate postcodes, and our bit became M45 instead of M25. We sent out change of address details to every company we had dealings with and forgot about it. A few weeks later we started getting letters from home insurance and vehicle insurance companies saying our premiums were being reduced.
I phoned up the car insurance company to find out why, and they told me that now I lived in a more out-of-town postcode my risk level had been lowered. I didn't argue.

Back