Is this tyre damage an MOT fail ?

Recent thread.

I would say so, looks like that tyre has been driven flat, should not have cracking/damage like that on the side wall

Judging by the alloy in the 3rd picture, those wheels have seen some kerb action

And yeah, change the tyres.

Nice replies cheers -- bit shitty - clearly I plan to replace the tyres if you look at any of my other posts - however the rules state that sidewall damage is only a fail if ply is exposed so you might want to check your facts - I was canvassing the forum as unknown to me my wife has booked the van in tomorrow for its MOT to get a sense if we might sneak through - I work 70 hours a week so have struggled to find both the time and cash to replace them from new and been looking for second hand ones on the forum - I am used to this forum being fairly welcoming but I guess that's not always the case.

Nice replies cheers -- bit shitty - clearly I plan to replace the tyres if you look at any of my other posts - however the rules state that sidewall damage is only a fail if ply is exposed so you might want to check your facts - I was canvassing the forum as unknown to me my wife has booked the van in tomorrow for its MOT to get a sense if we might sneak through - I work 70 hours a week so have struggled to find both the time and cash to replace them from new and been looking for second hand ones on the forum - I am used to this forum being fairly welcoming but I guess that's not always the case.
@slimsurf if I was you I'd put through
... Not sure rules in mainland UK but if you fail because of a major a retest is £18.50 over here. Would then need to get changed Asap and book retest. Or don't appear for mot and potentially forfeit cancellation fee. Lots of wheels and tyres on forum. Depends on your taste and locality I guess to sellers tho. Good luck with however things end up.

Sorry @slimsurf yes I was a bit 'shitty' but in my eyes safety of myself and my nearest & dearest comes fare above the opinion of a MOT tester. He (or she) doesn't drive the vehicle at silly speeds or at in dreadful conditions on the motorway but simply has to pass or fail within the tester's manual.

I think we all just want you and everybody around you to be safe, regardless of the law those tyres can't be relied upon to be safe at motorway speed, IMO, and it shouldn't be considered roadworthy.
Personally I'd rather reschedule the test until I could replace those tyres than put a vehicle in with tyres in that condition.
I don't really understand how tyres and wheels get that much damage but I guess you might have purchased it like that.

Its either a forum where people feel comfortable to ask a question or it isn't

On a more constructive note, I think I'd get the tracking checked as soon as the new tyres are fitted, it might save you money in the long term.

I think the responses you received, shitty or otherwise, were answering a different question to the one you asked. They were answering the question "Are these tyres safe to use?".

As, presumably, your loved ones are passengers in the van, perhaps that is the question you should be asking (and the weight of opinion is no, they are not safe).

(AFAIK) There’s nothing wrong (legally) in the second photo, wear on edge of tyre is ok unless cord showing but I did think sidewall damage would be an illegal and a fail. I’d hope a copper would take a car off the road if they stopped it like that.

The alloys are also in a pretty bad state so what’s the deal? What happened to cause this?

Good luck tomorrow whatever!

I don’t think the responses were particularly shitty. That pics of rather ropey-looking tyres get a “Jeez wept!” response is fair enough.

Go for the MOT and see what happens - any faults can be fixed and a retest is usually free. If your MOT runs out, ANPR will pick it up quickly (though the usually pull you for lapsed road tax.)

I’m quite particular about tyres (and car care in general). Recently got a VW Up! for my daughter and took off 4 perfectly legal 2020 Chinese tyres and replaced with a brand I know and trust.

I also seem to tell lots of people their tyres are low on pressure - I find it easy to spot they are a bit squished. We were at a friends party last year and her reasonably wealthy brother turned up in their family Volvo with 3 tyres having exposed metal carcassing and extreme feathered edges - I explained, diplomatically, that if he were stopped by the police it is 3 licence points per illegal tyre!

My point is, good condition tyres are one of the main things affecting your safety and easy to spot problems. The tone of responses above is probably due to surprise at the condition of your tyre and concern for the welfare of you and your family.

None of us like being called out for something we’ve missed or done wrong but if it makes you look a bit closer at your tyre condition going forwards I’d consider that a very positive outcome.

Good luck with the MOT - I find them worse than going to the dentist!!

Ian

I think the tread wear is probably acceptable, but expect an advisory for it. As others have mentioned, the wheel alignment could be out causing accelerated wear.

As for the sidewall damage, I'd expect the tester would be having a very close look at that. It might be a failure. Can you fit the spare for the test? If you can, don't put that wheel back in the spare wheel carrier!

Being critical, and looking at the obvious evidence of damage to the wheel rim, I would suggest that driving standards have seriously contributed to the damage to the tyre. Striking kerbs, and driving on/off kerbs places very high loads on the tyre sidewall with resulting risk of damage and subsequent failures. As tyres now cost in the region of £100 and upwards, and the potential for serious damage and injuries if a tyre fails, it never ceases to amaze me how many drivers just obviously don't consider the consequences of repeated kerbing and parking on kerbs.

Its either a forum where people feel comfortable to ask a question or it isn't
A quick and reasonably priced solution is to do what I did and track down a brand new set of Devonports with new tyres removed from a van that's being converted on ebay (or here) they are easily found between £400 and £500 that's less money than the 4 tyres you will be getting with them are worth. And a bonus of new alloys too.

Back