Jim's LWB 4motion Build

jimthevan

T6 Pro
Well I thought it was about time I put a build log together after gaining so much info on here I thought I would share my experiences......

So here is my 2016 LWB 4motion 140 in Indium Grey as I brought it from a lovely guy who was a carpenter in Inverness:

2023-06-14 21.19.49.jpg2023-06-14 21.28.31.jpg

I wont bore you with the usual strip out and insulation pics so after removing the bulkhead a good clean, sound deadning, thermal liner, insulation, it was onto the rear windows..

2023-09-01 17.24.18.jpg2023-09-01 18.52.15.jpg2023-09-02 11.16.55.jpg

I wanted to fit the pop top myself but only one company would supply me the kit - Streamline - and this worked out just as expensive as getting one fitted.
After much deliberation I decided to go with Skyline pop tops - the standard version as I think it looks better than the Aurora model. Moon rock canvass.

Got Simon from Sunset Campers Vw Camper Hire Cornwall | Skyline Poptops | Sunset Campers Lanivet near Wadebridge in Cornwall to fit it and I must say he did a fantastic job and i'm very picky!

IMG_1102.JPGIMG_1104.JPGIMG_1106.JPG

Next job was to install a 6mm ply frame to take the LED light strips before carpeting and side windows going in, covering the screw heads in the pop top framework at the same time:

IMG_1128.JPGIMG_1129.JPGIMG_1131.JPG

This took a long time to scribe accurately into the van profile. I didn't get a pic but I then cut slots for the aluminium channels to sit in once carpeted.

I have kept some templates if anyone needs some.

Thanks to

Deaky

for the inspiration:

IMG_1130.JPG

IMG_1134.JPG

Last edited:
Then onto fitting the side windows and lining:

Covering up the large vents on the D pillar with hardboard and ali tape:

IMG_1135.JPG

Now onto more cutting of holes in my nice van!

IMG_1136.JPG

IMG_1137.JPG

Father-in-law doing a great job of fettling the cutouts after i used a nibbler

IMG_1138.JPG

IMG_1139.JPG

Carpet lining before fitting the J-trim

IMG_1146.JPG

IMG_1154.JPG

IMG_1155 2.JPG

Really happy with the result : )

IMG_1160.JPG

Unfortunately the sliding window is leaking from the end cap on the drainage channel : ( - waiting for a response from camperglass.

IMG_1170.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

IMG_1176.JPG

Next job is to fit some roof rails to the pop top:

IMG_1177.JPG

Last edited:
Nice work Jim - is this something you've tackled previously?

That trip from St Agnes to Inverness and back must have been an epic journey in itself!

Nice work Jim - is this something you've tackled previously?

That trip from St Agnes to Inverness and back must have been an epic journey in itself!
Cheers bud

yeah bit of a mission but had friends up that way so good excuse to say hi. First 2 sunset shots are from on the Cairngorms on the way home - epic scenery - hopefully going back next year in the finished conversion : )

Only dabbled on a few bits on my old T4 before so learning on the job, always tinkered with VWs since I was a kid mind.

Reactions: Bav
Wish I had the skills to tackle a self-build, but mine is paid for, not built (and, given my DIY skills, thank the lord for that!)

I hate cutting windows in… and my next least favourite job is insulating so you are almost through the worst of it in my book :) downhill all the way now…. nice job and I love the roof!

Have you checked the drainage holes for your window as they can accidentally get blocked up with sealant on a self build leading to weird seepage?

Well after a bit of time out from the T6 ( had to get the old T4 MOT'd and sold) - will miss that bus, 12 years of travels and covered 130k in it, T6 has a lot to live up to!

Anyway back on the T6 project, picked up a Califonia bench / bed and rail system from the Lakes, lovely trip up there, so then had the joys of finding all the correct brackets/bolts
and a few missing bits from VW and then marking it all up and fitting the floor:

Load matt
12mm ply
finished off with Altro.

It was a bit of a mission but happy with the results.
IMG_1197.JPGIMG_1465.JPGIMG_1515.JPG

Next big Job on the list is the Electrics so I have purchased :

Renology Core 100AH
Victron 30A
Victron MPTT

to go with 200W solar for the roof

and a load of wiring, wish me luck!

Well after a bit of time out from the T6 ( had to get the old T4 MOT'd and sold) - will miss that bus, 12 years of travels and covered 130k in it, T6 has a lot to live up to!

Anyway back on the T6 project, picked up a Califonia bench / bed and rail system from the Lakes, lovely trip up there, so then had the joys of finding all the correct brackets/bolts
and a few missing bits from VW and then marking it all up and fitting the floor:

Load matt
12mm ply
finished off with Altro.

It was a bit of a mission but happy with the results.
View attachment 233853View attachment 233854View attachment 233855

Next big Job on the list is the Electrics so I have purchased :

Renology Core 100AH
Victron 30A
Victron MPTT

to go with 200W solar for the roof

and a load of wiring, wish me luck!
Luck!

Seat is now in and LEDs wired up.

Really pleased with the seat/bench - to a bit of faffing to get the ali trims in sitting nice - I think I was too precise with the Altro cutout - not giving enough clearance.

Just need to shave a bit off under the seat to clear the wheel arch properly and that's done :)

IMG_1525.JPG

The alternative to shaving the seat is to adjust the wheelarch. I used a block of wood and a hammer to press a channel onto the top of the wheelarch.

The alternative to shaving the seat is to adjust the wheelarch. I used a block of wood and a hammer to press a channel onto the top of the wheelarch.
ah interesting - i'll have a look and see if I can do this as it only needs about 5mm, but I have 10mm sound deadening all over it so may not work

Ok been a while since updated this but have been busy getting things done as we have now booked the ferry for mid June.

Lithium Leisure battery / Victron split charge & Victron solar controller installed
IMG_1560.JPGIMG_1561.JPGIMG_1580.JPG

Roof rails and 200w solar panel installed, had the Alpicool T50 running for 3 days with no driving and just topped up by the solar and battery didn't even drop below 13.2 Volts - very happy indeed :
IMG_0231.jpg

Finished of carpet lining:

IMG_0271.jpgIMG_0272.jpg

Got some new rubber - Falken 235/65/17 ATs and powder coated satin black Devonports : )

The old Renault 4 served well loaded with 8 wheels and tyres:

IMG_0323.jpgIMG_0324.jpgIMG_0347.jpg
IMG_0346.jpg
IMG_0440.jpg

Now starting to design the interior side unit out of Aluminium extrusion and birch ply:

IMG_0438.jpgIMG_0439.jpg

Nice! Your aluminium profile units, are you going to separate the long pieces? Just thinking about safety - if that section running from the back of the van to behind the front seats is a single section, in the event of being rear ended it'll just get shunted forward and would end up spearing the seat and whoever is in it!

So think about safety and how it would crumple if you got badly rear ended. Maybe remove the middle section upper horizontal bits.

Nice! Your aluminium profile units, are you going to separate the long pieces? Just thinking about safety - if that section running from the back of the van to behind the front seats is a single section, in the event of being rear ended it'll just get shunted forward and would end up spearing the seat and whoever is in it!

So think about safety and how it would crumple if you got badly rear ended. Maybe remove the middle section upper horizontal bits.
Yes the long pieces are separated into 3 but bolted together with connectors.
Hadn't thought about it in an accident so a very good point.
Also the work surface will be a long sheet of ply, although split with a hinged lid - thanks will put some more thought to it

The old Renault 4 served well loaded with 8 wheels and tyres:

IMG_0323.jpg
Love, love, love the R 4 !!!!! I need something cool like that!

Back