Just ordered first camper

Paul Sussex

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi, new to the forum and camper vans.

Just put deposit down on 2017 T28 trendline camper conversion.

Hope to pick up in a few weeks once service and habitation checks done (and squeaky roof fixed).

Very excited to be here and looking forward to happy holiday with the kids and grandkids (and will be daily drive).

Great place to come for advice.

Guessing like all newbies - thinking of what accessories I can buy (and probably don’t need),

Thanks for the reply’s - fingers crossed they are good memories the other halves parents had campers (non VW) when she was a kid a few decades ago so she is keen we spend time with the grandchildren and share experiences - me park up and have a beer - chat to people, play with the grandchildren and obviously keep the misses happy

Tent camper before with youngest (wife not interest in canvas) so fingers crossed - so whole new experience - but clueless!

Welcome along for the ride. The Transporter is certainly a memory maker, but also a wallet breaker, so strap yourself in and hold tight!
Thanks Bav, Oh - am I expecting big bills for something I had not thought about?

Hi, new to the forum and camper vans.

Just put deposit down on 2017 T28 trendline camper conversion.

Hope to pick up in a few weeks once service and habitation checks done (and squeaky roof fixed).

Very excited to be here and looking forward to happy holiday with the kids and grandkids (and will be daily drive).

Great place to come for advice.

Guessing like all newbies - thinking of what accessories I can buy (and probably don’t need),
You can buy a lot of accessories ;)

I’ve spent more on camping kit in the 4 years since I bought our van than in the lifetime of camping before. So be careful, buy well and buy once and use your own experience!

Thanks Bav, Oh - am I expecting big bills for something I had not thought about?
There's probably 1000s of mods, upgrades and additions that, currently, you're blissfully unaware of. Hang around this forum for too long though and that will all change. ;)

If you manage to resist the temptation to create a very long "must have" list, then the servicing, maintenance, repair, tax and insurance costs will be sure to get you! Resistance is futile. :rofl:

Seriously though, there's no other vehicle quite like a Transporter, so enjoy!

You can buy a lot of accessories ;)

I’ve spent more on camping kit in the 4 years since I bought our van than in the lifetime of camping before. So be careful, buy well and buy once and use your own experience!
Ha ha - just spent the last hour googling stuff I don’t need but so tempted - have a garage full of tent camping stuff I take and don’t use - probably why tent camping is just me and the youngest - no room in the car for anyone else and I have a big car and big top box- going to try and stick to the stuff that is really essential and keep things simple (but suspect that will be like New Year’s resolutions).

There's probably 1000s of mods, upgrades and additions that, currently, you're blissfully unaware of. Hang around this forum for too long though and that will all change. ;)

If you manage to resist the temptation to create a very long "must have" list, then the servicing, maintenance, repair, tax and insurance costs will be sure to get you! Resistance is futile. :rofl:

Seriously though, there's no other vehicle quite like a Transporter, so enjoy!
Thanks Baz - looking forward to the journey

Reactions: Bav
Welcome to the club Paul, you will see many a thing on the forum that is a nice to have, you will be lured into things that you feel you must have!
My first must have was new suspension, my van drives like a car now, the second was LED lights so that I could see things more than a few feet in front of me at night! The standard factory halogens are really not good!
Try and get to some 'meets' if you can, a great way of gaining insights into what you really want and the nice to haves!
What CGT says above was certainly true in my case too! Try to go easy and good luck!
Consider the possibility of the membership, at £12.99 it is one of the best value purchases I have made since beginning this journey... Oh and don't forget some photos when you can, it has been said before that 'people like photos!'

I like to think our van is ready to go with just us and our clothes bags, food and booze.

One great piece of advise from the forum is that anything you put in the van should have at least 2 uses. Doesn’t always apply but keeps me things when buying stuff

Welcome to the club Paul, you will see many a thing on the forum that is a nice to have, you will be lured into things that you feel you must have!
My first must have was new suspension, my van drives like a car now, the second was LED lights so that I could see things more than a few feet in front of me at night! The standard factory halogens are really not good!
Try and get to some 'meets' if you can, a great way of gaining insights into what you really want and the nice to haves!
What CGT says above was certainly true in my case too! Try to go easy and good luck!
Consider the possibility of the membership, at £12.99 it is one of the best value purchases I have made since beginning this journey... Oh and don't forget some photos when you can, it has been said before that 'people like photos!'
I’m only considering camping accessories, van mods is a completely different kettle of fish :unsure:

I like to think our van is ready to go with just us and our clothes bags, food and booze.

One great piece of advise from the forum is that anything you put in the van should have at least 2 uses. Doesn’t always apply but keeps me things when buying stuff
Love the advice - great idea.

Thank you, will look into it and when it arrives will get some photos.

3 kettles later we have a keeper :think smile bounce:
I can’t believe you’ve just started me off on Kettle selection again!!!
Spent most of the weekend in Attwoolls Go outdoors etc trying to get everything ready for NC500
What kettle was 3rd time lucky?
This could save me another day of pain

Back