LB Ah - what do I need?

zeppojeff

VIP Member
So I've just purchased a portable fridge/freezer for the occasional long weekend camping and for charging milwaukee batteries with a 12v charger when using the van for work. I'm looking at possibly buying a roamer 230ah underseat battery and victron orion xs. Apart from all this anything else suggested? Would the 230ah be overkill? How many days are people getting out a battery when using constantly for a fridge? How long to charge the roamer?
Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance

Here's the fridge I've bought
Alpicool TA55 55L Car Fridge Freezer Portable Compressor Car Refrigerator 12/24V Electric Cooler for Camping, Road Trip, Picnic, Down to -20℃ Amazon.co.uk

So I've just purchased a portable fridge/freezer for the occasional long weekend camping and for charging milwaukee batteries with a 12v charger when using the van for work. I'm looking at possibly buying a roamer 230ah underseat battery and victron orion xs. Apart from all this anything else suggested? Would the 230ah be overkill? How many days are people getting out a battery when using constantly for a fridge? How long to charge the roamer?
Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance

Here's the fridge I've bought
Alpicool TA55 55L Car Fridge Freezer Portable Compressor Car Refrigerator 12/24V Electric Cooler for Camping, Road Trip, Picnic, Down to -20℃ Amazon.co.uk
That fridge has the same 60w rating as most other 50l 12v fridges, so you can assume around 1-1.5Ah per hour consumption.

My Alpicool AD50 is using 1.5Ah per hour at the moment with it never really dropping below 20 degrees inside the van, so that's 36Ah per 24hrs.

If you only had the fridge running, and no charging from solar or DC-DC, then you'd get 6x24hrs out of a full 230Ah battery, using 216Ah of capacity.

So is the 230Ah battery overkill if you just need a night or 2 off grid, with just the fridge running? Probably, yes!

But if you start adding other things to run off the battery then it all adds up, I have a 4g router and Cerbo GX which use 0.5a, so that's another 12Ah per 24hrs. Then I have lights, usb charging, a diesel heater, water pump, and a 2000w inverter.

Given that I'm already using 50Ah per 24hrs with just the fridge and standby devices, I could easily get too 60 or 70Ah per day with some cooking and other things. But, then I have solar which on a normal sunny day can put back in 60 or 70Ah.

So, the answer is... It depends! :rofl:

As for charging, if you have something like the Victron 50a DC-DC and run it at full, well it'll take about 4hrs 200Ah of charge. So very fast. Again, it's simple Ah in Vs Ah out. 50a for an hour replaces 50Ah.

That fridge has the same 60w rating as most other 50l 12v fridges, so you can assume around 1-1.5Ah per hour consumption.

My Alpicool AD50 is using 1.5Ah per hour at the moment with it never really dropping below 20 degrees inside the van, so that's 36Ah per 24hrs.

If you only had the fridge running, and no charging from solar or DC-DC, then you'd get 6x24hrs out of a full 230Ah battery, using 216Ah of capacity.

So is the 230Ah battery overkill if you just need a night or 2 off grid, with just the fridge running? Probably, yes!

But if you start adding other things to run off the battery then it all adds up, I have a 4g router and Cerbo GX which use 0.5a, so that's another 12Ah per 24hrs. Then I have lights, usb charging, a diesel heater, water pump, and a 2000w inverter.

Given that I'm already using 50Ah per 24hrs with just the fridge and standby devices, I could easily get too 60 or 70Ah per day with some cooking and other things. But, then I have solar which on a normal sunny day can put back in 60 or 70Ah.

So, the answer is... It depends! :rofl:

As for charging, if you have something like the Victron 50a DC-DC and run it at full, well it'll take about 4hrs 200Ah of charge. So very fast. Again, it's simple Ah in Vs Ah out. 50a for an hour replaces 50Ah.
You're a star thanks for all that. Definitely gives me more to think about and now hopefully save me some money.

You're a star thanks for all that. Definitely gives me more to think about and now hopefully save me some money.
If you had a basic solar panel that would also extend the use of your battery, a 100w panel should put back in about 30Ah on a sunny day, which means you can go for a smaller battery as it'll be constantly getting charged during the day.

I will say though, with a big system like mine (230Ah battery, 305w solar, 20a MPPT, 50a DC-DC) it's nice to never have power consumption worries, and never need EHU!

Back