LED headlights

Mickhar

VIP Member
Good morning guys I am looking at replacing my halogen headlights with the THQ full led units but I’m finding conflicting information as to the legality of it . Does anyone know what the legal/mot situation is .

They are road legal.
I specifically asked THQ to confirm the situation (for the T6.1 full LED headlights).
This is a cut and paste of their response:

Hi Ian,

These headlights are fully e marked and road legal in the UK.

Kind regards,

Charlie Lewis
Transporter HQ
0116 2478156 | transporterhq.co.uk
Unit 12, Bruntingthorpe Industrial Estate, Upper Bruntingthorpe, LE17 5QZ

They are road legal.
I specifically asked THQ to confirm the situation (for the T6.1 full LED headlights).

Hi Ian,

Kind regards,

Charlie Lewis
Transporter HQ
They are road legal.

Hi Ian,

Kind regards,

Charlie Lewis
Transporter HQ
Hi EAN thanks for the reply that’s reassuring to know I will go ahead and order a set , looks like I’ll have a set of t6.1 fro headlights to sell on soon

Hi EAN thanks for the reply that’s reassuring to know I will go ahead and order a set , looks like I’ll have a set of t6.1 fro headlights to sell on soon
they dont go for much, personally I have kept mine in the box the THQ ones came in JUST IN CASE the Government crack down on aftermarket LED units even the complete sets as there are constant rumours that they will. Then the value will be crazy and demand will require buying from VW. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
Hi again I did think of keeping them but I’ve got quite a lot of stuff in my garage due to the upgrades I’ve done over the past 9 years.

Good morning guys I am looking at replacing my halogen headlights with the THQ full led units but I’m finding conflicting information as to the legality of it . Does anyone know what the legal/mot situation is .

After market or OEM LED Head lamps may be road legal in UK for vehicles that qualify by having all the requirements. Such as lamp levelling power wash blar blar that may be possibly only for vehicles that have had LED or XENON fitted originally by the manufacturer. Fitting them to a vehicle that does not comply is not legal. Up until recently and possibly even now, all Legal LED Headlamps are sealed units and do not have replaceable bulbs/ the whole light unit has to be replaced. Leda after market bulbs are not legal in the UK contrary to what some sellers might testify to.

In the EU some LED bulbs have been granted legal status, only for particular cars and have legal documentation. So LED bulb A might not have legal certification for one exact car but not for another. The EU has accepted only LED bulbs that have passed very stringent tests and only for a relevant car cars. GB has not caught up. Hopefully things might change, do not hold you breath, GB is very very slow on such things. the EU is superior in many technical aspects. If something is proven to work safely under stringent examination and certificated to an accepted EU standard the one may progress. I guess the receiving vehicle must however still comply with all the other requirements, self levelling and washers ect.

Many may get away with illegal fitment because of lax MOT examination or the all covering "Did not specify looking deeper into the matter. However the UK DEPT of Transport has sent out demands the MOT testing stations do look for illegal fitments. this can be seen on their notifications which are published under UKGOVblar, blar. So people can expect increasing levels of inspection over time . No doubt some stations may still turn a blind eye or be too lazy to read and enforce regulations.

I am not passing opinion of my own but what I have read and my interpretations. Is seeing better than not seeing, is blinding some one as acceptable as not blinding some one and so on? I am happy to accept if I am incorrect. I read somewhere that all of this applies only to vehicles from a certain date. I can not remember what that was but it is going back a little while.

Last edited:
Hi Kind of blue thank you for the information as your message says it’s still a bit of a grey area . I did ask my local mot test centre a while back ( I’ve used them for 9 years) the tester told me providing it’s a sealed headlight unit with no replaceable bulbs and was correctly aligned so as not to dazzle oncoming traffic it would pass mot .

Reactions: CAB

No need for self leveling or cleaning devices. However, as the van will have a levelling switch, that would need to work

No need for self leveling or cleaning devices. However, as the van will have a levelling switch, that would need to work
however if the switch is taped over or removed for purposes of a test it isnt a fail. Mine work quite nicely on the leveller from the Audi style THQ and I think I might have only been flashed once in 10k of driving when I was loaded and forgot to adjust from unloaded postion.

Back