Lots of errors!!!

Absolutely never charge directly to negative - all charge in and out must go via the shunt that's attached to the battery post.

If you are doing otherwise that could be part of the problem because you are adding charge the BCM cannot see.

Have you checked the battery earth connection(s) to chassis etc ?

Pete

I have not, it 'appears' to be OK but I have not removed and checked or cleaned, I have to remove the battery tomorrow / weekend to fit the new glow plug module, so I will have a look.

The Start/Stop message on the dash, is that just the A symbol with the dash through it or does it actually flash up saying "Start/Stop Error"?

The Start/Stop message on the dash, is that just the A symbol with the dash through it or does it actually flash up saying "Start/Stop Error"
Its the ‘start stop error’ message on the dash.

I can press the A symbol to disable and it lights up, if I press again to enable the ‘start stop error’ message flashes up.

I stopped at the shop on the way to work and still had obdeleven connected. When I got in (had cleared previous errors that would clear when driving) it has the BCM error thats been there consistently and that was it (no voltage, or generator or glow plug errors) and still said ‘stop start error’.

Seems odd.

I have to remove the battery to fit the new module at some point. So maybe it is a good time to put the battery on maintenance charge cycle off of the van. Make sure it is fully charged, put it back, hopefully all systems will be reset and maybe even change the battery serial number to see if it re-learns. I am tempted to discharge everything by doing the positive to negative trick as well

Nipped out at lunch while it was dry and fitted the new module as it was a pretty quick and easy job tbf. There was some water in the tray (not on the module or relays). I dried it out and checked all connections.

While the battery is out of the van its on charge. I also connected positive and negative terminals on the van to discharge and power down all modules.

Everything is back waiting for the battery to fully charge. Once that is complete I will refit, clear any codes and give it a run around the block to see where we are.

Fingers crossed the glow plug module error is at least resolved.

Some pictures of the old module if anyone is interested in what they look like from the inside. I popped the cover to see if there was any swelling on tge capacitor or dry joints, but all looks ok.

IMG_8460.jpeg

IMG_8463.jpeg

IMG_8464.jpeg

IMG_8466.jpeg

IMG_8467.jpeg

Battery fully charged and fitted Early days, but a few ignition and start cycles and so far no glow plug error.

After disconnecting battery had the others come back for a few ignition cycles (low battery, regulator error, battery module error, generator no signal), but they cleared OK after second start cycle. Fingers crossed they don’t come back.

Still have BCM communication lost that I cannot clear, and stop start error on dash though…

OK, so the Battery Control Module, Battery regulation, generator and BCM errors are back after driving several times.

Given that I know the battery monitoring unit has 12v and a solid signal on the lin wire from the alternator, the symptoms appear to be the same as others have had with the lin wire failure If that wire is now fine, then that is leading me to believe that the unit on the negative battery cable is at fault.

Of course, the other option is the regulator from the alternator is faulty and causing lack of signal leading to similar codes.

VW commercial want £190 for the lead and unit, which has been superceeded by part no 4K0915181A.

I’m happy to take a gamble on it fixing my issues for £80-£100 but not nearly £200.

So I think the next option is to find a working original part from a scrapped / written off van cheaper so I can test if it is the issue.

Cheers.

OK, so the Battery Control Module, Battery regulation, generator and BCM errors are back after driving several times.

Given that I know the battery monitoring unit has 12v and a solid signal on the lin wire from the alternator, the symptoms appear to be the same as others have had with the lin wire failure If that wire is now fine, then that is leading me to believe that the unit on the negative battery cable is at fault.

Of course, the other option is the regulator from the alternator is faulty and causing lack of signal leading to similar codes.

VW commercial want £190 for the lead and unit, which has been superceeded by part no 4K0915181A.

I’m happy to take a gamble on it fixing my issues for £80-£100 but not nearly £200.

So I think the next option is to find a working original part from a scrapped / written off van cheaper so I can test if it is the issue.

Cheers.

I may have one, I'll check the part number when I'm at my parts house of horrors next

I may have one, I'll check the part number when I'm at my parts house of horrors next
Parts house of horrors haha. No worries thanks.

I ‘think’ I’ve sourced one from lithuania, but awaiting info for conpatibilty - same pet no just different letter on the end.

If they will respond that is.

If you find one let me know :)

New part fitted, had low voltage and battery module errors, but after a few start cycles it cleared.

However still have stop start errors on dash.

Looking at live data, it shows stop start is possible? I cannot find any specific start stop error in the control units.

Does anyone have any clues on what other data to check?

Alternator is charging, battery is OK, Lin wire changed from alternator to battery module, battery module replaced.

The only error I can still see is a BCM fault U014000.

There has to be a way of finding out why the system is deciding to throw a stop start error?

Thanks.

IMG_8607.png

IMG_8608.png

IMG_8603.png

And here is the last log.

Does the lin communication come from the Regulator module on the back of the alternator? As I honestly cannot see, the alternator is hidden under a bunch of stuff in the engine bay.

The can has done 144k, so perhaps next step is the voltage regulator on the alternator? I have changed one on a previous car, 5min job IF I could get to the bloody thing :(

I guess failing that its another wiring issue or BCM???

IMG_8616.png

Also being unable to see the part no of the alternator, does someone know / can find out the alternator regulator part no please? Thanks!

Have you done the output test of the regulator (module 61)?
Just to verify the alternator responds correctly - charge at 15 Volts and no charge (alternator off)
Module 61 is intermittent, sometimes comes up with error sometimes not.

Only consistent error is Body Control Module.

I tried what you asked but not sure what it really means. I haven’t noticed any regen braking and alternator kicks in when I first rev the van and puts out between 14.3 and 14.8 volts.

First picture is when van was first started, it is dark and lights etc on:

IMG_8628.png

Second one when rev’d or moving:

IMG_8633.png

Other information, but not sure what channel data is relevent.

IMG_8656.png

IMG_8654.png

IMG_8652.png

IMG_8650.png

IMG_8648.png

IMG_8646.png

IMG_8644.png

IMG_8640.png

IMG_8638.png

Last edited:
To know which regulator part number, we would need to know which brand your alternator is, Bosch or Valeo. You should be able to squint and see the label, hopefully!

I might have to squint, make my self thinner and stand on my head in the engine bay lol. I can’t even see the bloody thing, when I replaced the wire and plug I just had to feel around and use the force lol. Even using my phone camera to try and take pictures of the reg came out rubbish, its down in there isn’t it!!!!

Second one when rev’d or moving:
I find it strange that the alternator doesn't follow specified/commanded value - the specified 10.6 Volts should turn alternator off but the voltage was risen to 14.4 Volts? Did you verify the actual voltages by a multimeter?

I find it strange that the alternator doesn't follow specified/commanded value - the specified 10.6 Volts should turn alternator off but the voltage was risen to 14.4 Volts? Did you verify the actual voltages by a multimeter?
Yep, its 14.4 at the battery terminals.

The battery is 12.8 with the van locked and shut down, cranks at 11.5-11.3, then settled at low 12’s when on tickover, if I rev, the alternator kicks in at 14+ volts and seems to stay there.

My leisure battery has needed some juice, so thats pulling current atm, but I think even when it gets to float, the alternator stays at 14+ volts, doesn’t seem to dip any more or do regen braking etc.

Reactions: mmi
Back