Master or Slave - Clutch pedal no pressure

Jezmondo71

Kombi T30 Edition 150 Manual SWB MY2018
VIP Member
Hi I am looking for some advice on next course of action:

Came out to move my van yesterday and dipped the clutch which promptly went to the floor!

No obvious leak at the back of the pedal and all assembly looks intact, slight whoosh sound when operating the pedal by hand but won't repressure.
IMG_3348.JPG

No indication of leak on bulkhead
IMG_3366.JPG

Fluid level in the reservoir is unchanged (level is at the seam, no fluid loss).
IMG_3364.JPG

Looking underneath where engine meets gearbox no sign of fresh fluid leak.
IMG_3352.JPG

Parked on gravel driveway so no visible pool of fluid underneath (additional question - should there be some kind of engine cover plate/tray under the engine?)
IMG_3363.JPG

Am I right in thinking if the release bearing/slave had failed I would have lost fluid in the reservoir and or the underside of the gearbox and so this is pointing towards the master cylinder failing?

Van 2018 6 speed manual T30 Kombi and is on 107k mileage, don't have a lot of history with it except belt and water pump changed by the garage where I bought it 18 months ago, they said it was a business vehicle and was regularly serviced but I have no evidence of this to refer to.

Is it prudent to order and swap out the master cylinder as a first step?

Last edited:
So after some more reading and discovering the reservoir has three chambers and you can't really trust the level, I topped off the fluid and tried the pedal again.

This time I was able to get some pressure back into the pedal and I can now see a drop of fluid appearing at the underside of the gearbox and at the photographed hole which I am assuming is some kind of breather/drain?

So looks like the slave after all and an expensive trip to my local independent o_O

IMG_3397.JPG

Back