More help please

Rabkia

T6 Pro
I’ve just come to check my power in the van and the Clayton 2500w is say error 121 looked it up and it’s saying maybe loose connection, can’t find one in the back of it , any iimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

Can't help directly as I don't know the Clayton's beyond what's on the forum but CAN would be in the communication connector - I assume you have a remote panel or something?

I'd try taking that connector off and seeing if that clears the fault (on the assumption the unit would be fine without a remote panel)

I'd also split the connector hood open and check the connection - looks like D type serial connector?

Also check the other end of that cable in case the fault is there.

Thanks I’ve taken it back to Sherwood who have checked all connections (ok), spoken with Clayton and they’re under the impression that something inside has failed and is unrepairable , after them having me scroll through the menu to find out how many charging cycles it’s done it turns out it’s only done 36 , now although it’s out of warranty (2years) there’s no way it should have only done 36 charges , I’ve only ever stopped in the van for two nights and the lad who owned it before me only had one night away , something surely isn’t right any ideas where to go next

I'd be putting some pressure on Clayton that the system has not lasted a "reasonable length of time"

You're in a less strong position if you didn't buy the unit yourself originally (which it sounds like is the case) but what you do have going for you is that the units own data logging shows it's only had 36 charge cycles, which is very low for a system of that price point.

I don't think they are going to fix things for you but with some pressure you may be able to push them towards a discount on replacement, if that's what you want.

I'd have a think about the outcome you want and set out your complaint with that, start with the unreasonably short life (by its own data) point out that's an issue with the consumer rights act (see link) and then propose a resolution you can live with (50% off a replacement?) and see how you go.

Good luck.

Reactions: Bav
They advertise their product as being capable of 2000 cycles which is roughly 10 years as per their own claim.
So if it fails at 36 cycles, irrespective of being outside the 2 yr warranty then it’s not fit for purpose. I’d be asking for a replacement.
Sometimes the best place to ask this is on their twitter account or FB page. It’s amazing how helpful they become in those circumstances.

I'd be putting some pressure on Clayton that the system has not lasted a "reasonable length of time"

You're in a less strong position if you didn't buy the unit yourself originally (which it sounds like is the case) but what you do have going for you is that the units own data logging shows it's only had 36 charge cycles, which is very low for a system of that price point.

I don't think they are going to fix things for you but with some pressure you may be able to push them towards a discount on replacement, if that's what you want.

I'd have a think about the outcome you want and set out your complaint with that, start with the unreasonably short life (by its own data) point out that's an issue with the consumer rights act (see link) and then propose a resolution you can live with (50% off a replacement?) and see how you go.

Good luck.
We replied simultaneously. I’d still say £3700 for 36 cycles isn’t acceptable. If they give you 50% off a replacement you still have to stump up £1850 for something that shouldn’t have failed.
My starting point would be a replacement followed by accepting a repair of my failed unit.

We did :cool:

I think if the system was originally purchased by the OP I'd suggest pushing for more, you're just in a weaker position as the second owner. For original purchase I'd be involving my credit card provider under Section 75...

I think my point is in any situation like this you need to be firm but reasonable. Start out with an endgame in mind that you can live with and is viable for the other party and work towards that.

Avoid it becoming angry, ranty or threatening as that makes it easier to dismiss you. I think that's especially true in a public forum like Twitter/FB; if your post looks ranty then other readers are more likely to dismiss it, if it looks reasonable then other readers are more likely to be supportive and see your side. A rant isn't going to worry a company too much, something reasonable that questions the quality of the product and after sales service that is going to worry potential purchasers is going to worry them a lot more.

I didn’t spit that he wasn’t the original owner. I’m not sure if that changes your consumer rights or not.

I’m not the original owner , the system is 3 years old as is the van,still only done 9k miles and only been used to camp for 3 nights, just spoken again with Clayton all very civil and sent all videos and pics, best they can offer is 50% off new, I know have to decide is this system the right one as only getting little use from the other one, if yes then I have to wait minimum of 4 weeks, then get the new one fitted because connection is different and different remote, all this is considerable cost for something that should be ok for years,still doesn’t help me for the end of the month, as you say I’m not the original purchaser, what to do

If they offered the 50% quite quickly I'd continue negotiating pointing out that as it's not like for like there are additional costs and would it be better to repair your system instead, include the newer connectors and remote free or offer more discount?

Essentially they've opened the door so establish that you've been put at a disadvantage by the premature failure of their system in areas other then the system itself (which is advertised to last much longer) and try and push that door a bit more.

Tried that saying surely advertising says much longer lasting and I keep getting “ well you bought it second hand” they also say that it’s not repairable due to the certain design they can’t get to the part , again I asked well how did it get there originally but to no avail, they have also offered to get shut of it once it’s replaced

I didn’t spit that he wasn’t the original owner. I’m not sure if that changes your consumer rights or not.
It does because the OPs consumer rights are against whoever sold them the van.

And if that's a private seller then there are very limited rights - generally the goods must be accurately described during the sale but there is no obligation on a private seller to disclose any faults or damage they simply must be accurate in what they do say/publish.

If it's a company (converter/dealer) then there are more rights but it likely gets complex. You mention "Sherwoods" so maybe that is a company? If they are in the converter/camper market it might be an avenue to raise the fault with them - they may be able to add additional pressure on your behalf on Clayton or you may be able to push for them to do the remedial work if you pay Clayton for the replacement?

they have also offered to get shut of it once it’s replaced
I wouldn't discount the value of that - safely disposing of larger LiFePo systems can be problematic in terms of who will take them and/or who will ship them especially if they are "faulty"

It does because the OPs consumer rights are against whoever sold them the van.

And if that's a private seller then there are very limited rights - generally the goods must be accurately described during the sale but there is no obligation on a private seller to disclose any faults or damage they simply must be accurate in what they do say/publish.

If it's a company (converter/dealer) then there are more rights but it likely gets complex. You mention "Sherwoods" so maybe that is a company? If they are in the converter/camper market it might be an avenue to raise the fault with them - they may be able to add additional pressure on your behalf on Clayton or you may be able to push for them to do the remedial work if you pay Clayton for the replacement?
No Sherwood campers did the conversation for the original owner , I bought it private

I wouldn't discount the value of that - safely disposing of larger LiFePo systems can be problematic in terms of who will take them and/or who will ship them especially if they are "faulty"
No I haven’t I would hate to be stuck with it although it charges from hook up and is useable just doesn’t seam to hold charge and flashes error when charging from 12v, solution seems to be bite the bullet and get new , maybe I was just the unlucky one as I don’t see many complaints about them, but if anyone wants this one when I get new rather than me sending back they’re most welcome to it

I’d just get a decent LiFePo battery and convert to a conventional setup. Not only do those Clayton units seem pretty junk it’s remarkable that something only 3 yrs old casting north of £3k can’t be repaired.
It’s a pretty good advert not to touch their products if you ask me.

Back