Newbie van owner after advice on taking good care of the T6.1 TDI engine?

Waldinio

Just joined the forum and wanted to ask whats the best way to keep your van running for as long as possible and mechanically in the best possible shape? I'm sure this question comes up all the time so apologies if there is already a thread but i couldn't find one that matched.

The bloke I bought my T6.1 from told me it shouldn't need a service for 2 years!!! That seems a longtime for a basic oil and filter change. I'm not planning on doing loads of miles (yet) and will mostly use the van for leisure weekends away (camping/walking/biking) Maybe around 5k miles a year. The van is a 2020 T6.1 2.0TDI 100bhp version.

Also are there any recommended engine upgrades that can help engine efficiency and longevity. Not bothered about performance, more interested in great mpg ;)

Reactions: CAB
1- Keep it in the garage and never use it. It will look like new when you resell it.
2-Visit Church every Sunday or visit your Favourite God temple.
3- Save double the amount of money you have invested if you are planning to really drive it.
4- don’t drive when it’s raining
5- hire a camper van for your Holidays (SNP in Scotland have one they don’t need anymore)
6- never search online for T6 scam

Read, learn and understand how the DPF works and keep an eye on failed regens.

Likewise the Adblue system and filling it.

Don't do short runs.

Don't maximise MPG all the time, the engine needs to work hard occasionally just like humans.

Don't follow the long life service, it's there for accountants running fleets. Have someone check the van once a year and change the oil regularly.

Keep the battery charged with a maintenance charger if your van is parked up a lot.

Don't worry so much you don't enjoy the van.

Good quality (eg castrol) oil and filter change at least every 6k.
Good quality service consumables like air filters at least every 12 month. Fuel filter at least 24 month or 20k.
Use a good fuel (deisel+) at least every 3rd tank full.
A good 50 mile rip on a motorway at the very least every 1k.
Consider getting the All in 2yr Plan when it goes on offer.
Get an OBD reader like Carista/OBD11/VCDS and scan every couple of weeks to catch issues early.

Good quality (eg castrol) oil and filter change at least every 6k.
Good quality service consumables like air filters at least every 12 month. Fuel filter at least 24 month or 20k.
Use a good fuel (deisel+) at least every 3rd tank full.
A good 50 mile rip on a motorway at the very least every 1k.
Consider getting the All in 2yr Plan when it goes on offer.
Get an OBD reader like Carista/OBD11/VCDS and scan every couple of weeks to catch issues early.
I did think about the 2 year All in plan as my van meets the criteria for age and mileage. Interesting that this comes up on offer occasionally, how often does the offer typically roll around and how do i get to hear about it?

I did think about the 2 year All in plan as my van meets the criteria for age and mileage. Interesting that this comes up on offer occasionally, how often does the offer typically roll around and how do i get to hear about it?
It always comes around black friday and I've noticed it also seems to go on offer around the new reg dates, so maybe August or Nov this year but it could pop up anytime so best to check weekly or so as it can be a substantial saving. Users sometimes post on this forum when it goes live too.

Back