2017 204PS BiTDi - Seized turbo!

This is what I’m concerned about and obviously trying to avoid more costly repair so when all sorted may get DPF cleaned…gonna have to do another search here to check success rates of this…

They cleaned my DPF when they fitted my new turbos, it had made it slightly better but in no means properly clean. Also the process can damage the nox trap and sensors etc which I assume is why I'm now stuck with all the adblue problems.

They cleaned my DPF when they fitted my new turbos, it had made it slightly better but in no means properly clean. Also the process can damage the nox trap and sensors etc which I assume is why I'm now stuck with all the adblue problems.
Funny enough about 3 weeks before turbo failure I got a flashing eml light, brought it straight into my good Indy, he found nox sensor code- cancelled it and waited to see what had happened!!! I’ll get the VW dealer to properly check the Dpf again before accepting the van back….

Funny enough about 3 weeks before turbo failure I got a flashing eml light, brought it straight into my good Indy, he found nox sensor code- cancelled it and waited to see what had happened!!! I’ll get the VW dealer to properly check the Dpf again before accepting the van back….
I’ve had absolutely no adblue issues at any stage however…

As a side- note similar to an earlier poster…. I have a late 2007 Audi a6 3.0tdi quattro that is pre- dpf, never uses a drop of oil, same mileage to the van and never an issue hope I didn’t just jinx myself there :rolleyes:

I’ve had absolutely no adblue issues at any stage however…

I never had any adblue issues before having the dpf cleaned either, problem is they did it at the same time as fitting the new turbos so it's impossible to tell what really caused it.

I've got a 2011 diesel volvo that does have a dpf but just seems to sort itself out nicely without any trouble even though all my mrs does is pootle around town, wish the van could be like that!

By the way, did anyone who had a new turbo fitted rather than an exchange for a refurbish manage to sell their broken one? Just trying to think of ways to recoup losses even if I only get a few hundred quid, something is better than nothing...!

By the way, did anyone who had a new turbo fitted rather than an exchange for a refurbish manage to sell their broken one? Just trying to think of ways to recoup losses even if I only get a few hundred quid, something is better than nothing...!
Timetech 24 in germany said they would give me €250 for a BiTurbo that has failed for them to recondition.....they are easy to find on google.

Costs nothing to advertise it and one persons junk is another persons gold.

Timetech 24 in germany said they would give me €250 for a BiTurbo that has failed for them to recondition.....they are easy to find on google.
Thank you so much for this! Just been reading ebay policies etc. and apparently you can end up getting a broken sold part returned if you don't categorize it/ describe it correctly e.g. "for parts or not working" etc... so this other site seems like a good option for me!

So…. The very expensive deed is done! Van driving great, no better or worse than the normal fab 204 acceleration but everyone is under orders not to “rag it” for 1000 miles to let the turbo run in, whether we need it or not. May tell the wife that it needs to be 10,000 miles
Anyway, invoice attached, £4295 all in, you guys can tell me if they didn’t replace anything or if it isn’t the latest and best replacement turbo and I can’t believe I’m gonna say this but it seems reasonable compared what we were thinking for cost including the apparent EGR flush and several DPF forced regens. Well done Donnelly VW commercial in Northern Ireland, customer service was good too- they couldn’t find the towing eye- obviously I was checking everything that I could before I left and the guy just lifted me a new one out of one of their loan transporters!
I have also included a lovely pic of the old turbo- it’s going off to TimeTec24 in Germany and they are estimating €240 which is better than a kick in the a**e!
Thanks for all the help and advice, hopefully I’ll never have to post in this thread again!

IMG_9955.jpeg

IMG_9956.jpeg

IMG_9957.jpeg

Sad Sunday update on our road to financial ruin!:
Van is gleaming, heading for a lovely day out at the beach, 50 miles since new turbo and 5 mins after leaving home solid check emissions light on!!!
Went to the beach anyway, everyone very disappointed, no change in van behaviour, will phone VW tomorrow for a rant and very inconvenient scan.
Ironically I already ordered an obdeleven but it hasn’t arrived yet so the van will simply go back to the dealer to get sorted…..
I’ll update you all when we get to the bottom of it :oops:
I’m thinking the DPF has had it….

Sad Sunday update on our road to financial ruin!:
Van is gleaming, heading for a lovely day out at the beach, 50 miles since new turbo and 5 mins after leaving home solid check emissions light on!!!
Went to the beach anyway, everyone very disappointed, no change in van behaviour, will phone VW tomorrow for a rant and very inconvenient scan.
Ironically I already ordered an obdeleven but it hasn’t arrived yet so the van will simply go back to the dealer to get sorted…..
I’ll update you all when we get to the bottom of it :oops:
I’m thinking the DPF has had it….
Quick update:
My OBDeleven arrived and despite me suspecting the DPF, it's throwing up the P040100 code, yes, that old chestnut. "Exhaust Gas Recirc. Flow"
Love how the google function on OBDeleven sends you straight back to the T6 forum for the answers :fast rofl:
Currently considering blanking and coding out EGR but seems the jury's out! With 130,000 miles on the van we're gonna hold onto it so if the process won't cause any long- term damage it may be the way ahead. Like many on here it seems, I too blanked off the egr pipe (with a irb developments kit, so shiny!) on a defender td5 in years past with good results, although it had no DPF and was not by any means as modern an engine.
Didn't cancel the code, van into VW tomorrow so we'll see what they say. At least it looks like blocked EGR won't do any damage in the meantime?

Reactions: mmi
At least it looks like blocked EGR won't do any damage in the meantime?
It’s insufficient flow which could mean no flow or not as calculated.
If the valve is also fouled with carbon as is highly likely exhaust gases are constantly recirculating and this will be worse for the engine and DPF than normal EGR operation.
DPF fouling, induction system fouling, piston ring fouling and soot contamination of the engine oil.
Whatever you choose to do I would do it without putting too many more miles on the clock.

So... latest and hopefully last update for a while :oops:

Wife took the van in, headed off to softplay with our 2- year old and told the guy :

"I don't want a call to say 'you've cleared the code, she's good to go'- we are taking this van to France in a month I want it fixed...this van is our daily transport!"
:fast rofl:
When she got it back he confirmed EGR flow issues and said they gave it another "proper" flush- the reason it wasn't cleared enough was a bunged up pipe and they replaced that with the newer design which is great I suppose.

She (with prompting this morning!!!) said she wanted to know if the EGR had had it or not and he assured her it was fine! No charge for flush or pipe or labour which is good in itself so we'll see what happens- hopefully nothing!

May get the DPF taken off and properly cleaned soon as a slight preventative measure but hopefully no posts on this thread for a while (I said that before!!!).

Thanks again for everyone's help and advice.

IMG_0039.jpeg

IMG_0041.jpeg

Last edited:
Quick update from my side here, van is back with a new DPF, new cat and new adblue sensors. The VW tech showed us photos of the inside of the cat and it had disintegrated :oops:

I think the DPF clean done by the garage that fitted my turbos has ruined all the adblue sensors and maybe even the cat too?! Dunno how they clean these things but now its all been replaced they finally managed to clear the adblue errors and it drives beautifully now, I don't think it's felt this powerful in all the time I've owned it!

The new turbos have gone on in October I think it was and even though I've only done 2500 miles since then (because of all the adblue trouble) it's not asked for oil yet so that's a good thing too, hopefully my engine is actually doing alright.

Now just have to drive it lots to gain some trust back in it before taking it to France in the summer!

What sort of regen frequency should I be seeing with a 204 with a new dpf running on premium diesel?

Thanks

I’ve already got the Carista dongle and app and I’ve been keeping an eye on it, it’s at 17g now after 175km.

It always used to start regen at 24g before so assume it’ll still do that now?

Back