Norway Summer 2024

Fantastic mate, the info and photos are invaluable. Hopefully it will inspire others to go and explore Scandinavia
Thanks, kind words! We were v lucky with the weather I think which def helped!
And yes, one of key conclusions and tips is that people should be going to Norway and Scandi more generally!!

Thanks, kind words! We were v lucky with the weather I think which def helped!
And yes, one of key conclusions and tips is that people should be going to Norway and Scandi more generally!!
Absolutely. Two years since we did it and we still talk about it.
We intend to do Southern Norway, Sweden and Finland next summer to visit some friends we met while on our van trip of Spain earlier this year. They have invited us to stay with them in Finland. Already excited.
That’ll be a full 90 day trip so I’ll do a proper post when we go.
It’s so easy to do Scandi. Get your head round the long drive there and your mind will be blown. Everywhere is camper friendly

We did go bear watching today very near the finland - Russian border ( 1 mile of no man's land between us and them ). Was a twitchy moment especially when the border patrol passed up and looked at us rather sternly :oops:View attachment 255256View attachment 255257View attachment 255258View attachment 255259View attachment 255260View attachment 255261View attachment 255262
Was this on a guided Bear tour in the Kuusamo area? I have cousins that live close by and hope to do it next year.

Yes mate, we all met up in the carpark then were walked down to the hut where you could stop till 8 am if you wanted. We left at 11 with a few others, including the guides leaving a solitary couple in there...hope they were ok ...
Was this on a guided Bear tour in the Kuusamo area? I have cousins that live close by and hope to do it next year.

Yes mate, we all met up in the carpark then were walked down to the hut where you could stop till 8 am if you wanted. We left at 11 with a few others, including the guides leaving a solitary couple in there...hope they were ok ...

Yes mate, we all met up in the carpark then were walked down to the hut where you could stop till 8 am if you wanted. We left at 11 with a few others, including the guides leaving a solitary couple in there...hope they were ok ... :thumbsup:

DAYS 18, 19 & 20 - COPENHAGEN, SE DENMARK - ISLANDS OF MØN, FALSTER AND LOLLAND - FERRY FROM RØDBYHAVN to PUTTGARDEN, GERMANY, ACROSS TO THE NETHERLANDS

Across the Øresund bridge from Malmö, then a wonderful day in Copenhagen (been before!) revisiting some of the wonderful city, tootling about on bikes, visiting the Design Museum, before dinner and bucket of cold beer at Reffen streetfood market:
View attachment 255249

View attachment 255250

Then next day in SE Denmark islands and a visit to the amazing chalk cliffs of Møns Klint:
View attachment 255251

Before a stopover at a cheap community aire on the coast near Rødbyhavn for the short ferry across to Germany the next day.
And we got front of the ferry (and it's really quite a large ferry - not quite cross channel but pretty large!):
View attachment 255252

Then a cruise across northern Germany to the Dutch border near Groningen for a last few days in the Netherlands before heading for home...

That’s a fabulous trip. My ambition was always to sail up to the Lofoten Islands. However that is now impossible so in later years (since the T6) I started to plan a driving trip up there and onwards to Tromso, hopefully for the Northern Lights. I have to be realistic though, because of my age and crumbling physical state I probably couldn’t drive that far North. Your Alesund trip has wound up my wanderlust again. I spent a lot of time eighteen months ago modifying the van with 200w of solar and an inverter for self sufficiency. It’s been well tested on trips to Spa in Belgium and the Orkney Islands but Norway is now back on my mind.

@slocumjoseph we drove as far as Bodo then took the Hurtigruten coastal cruise through the Lofotens to Tromso and stayed there for 2 nights before flying back to Bodo to resume the van trip.
That Hurtigruten ship stops at so many places you can pick your start and end point so start further south of you don’t fancy too much driving.

Sounds like a wonderful trip @Bigsidavies. To be honest, it would also be a bit of a compromise for me. As I said my real dream was to sail with my wife and perhaps my son as extra crew North to the Lofoten Islands. However, she's long gone in an acrimonious divorce and my son now has his own mortgage and kids to look after now. So the driving, which I stilI enjoy as much as I did in the sixties was my way of travelling North. The Med is great but the North has always fascinated me.

That’s a fabulous trip. My ambition was always to sail up to the Lofoten Islands. However that is now impossible so in later years (since the T6) I started to plan a driving trip up there and onwards to Tromso, hopefully for the Northern Lights. I have to be realistic though, because of my age and crumbling physical state I probably couldn’t drive that far North. Your Alesund trip has wound up my wanderlust again. I spent a lot of time eighteen months ago modifying the van with 200w of solar and an inverter for self sufficiency. It’s been well tested on trips to Spa in Belgium and the Orkney Islands but Norway is now back on my mind.
Thank you, yes it was amazing!

And while I’m sure Lofoten is amazing, there’s a lot of amazing stuff in the Vestland without going 1,000km further north!
Eg the Sunnmøre Alps region and coast around…

Back