Not liking t6

I share your pain in a way. Have been ardent outdoor life peeps for years, be that with the kids in trailer tents, or caravans (much less so), then motorhome. This summer we bought T6 t32 204 dsg lwb professionally converted on a 67plate. In so many ways it’s great and we’ve just done 3500 miles round France trip in September (mixing stays in the vw and a house)

But… we’re just not sure we get it.

Vans that didn't originally come with rear door glass didn't have interior rear view mirrors, however the windscreens came with the mounting for them. Having a rear view mirror might help by making it feel more car like as you can see what's behind you with a quick glance. It won't do what a camera does, but for hardly any money it would be worth a try to see if it gives you a little more confidence.

I've got one of these in my daughters car as she's learning. It would work equally as well as a drivers interior mirror.

Msr CAB hates driving our mazda 6 estate.

Loves driving the van.

Almost the same size!

Worth considering the suspension upgrade, but only if you think you may keep it; @Dav-Tec also does that nowadays I understand. Much better feel, more car like, far less 'lurching' and rolling.

A-pillar grab handles are a must if you don't have them and need a bit of assistance getting in.

Definitely go for mirror or rear camera, even a cheapie will make a big difference.

I think your right that’d be a good start to it, that’s all I need for now because I have the reversing warning noise but I can’t turn right round it’s painful so that’s why I’m thinking inside reversing mirror. Many thanks

I share your pain in a way. Have been ardent outdoor life peeps for years, be that with the kids in trailer tents, or caravans (much less so), then motorhome. This summer we bought T6 t32 204 dsg lwb professionally converted on a 67plate. In so many ways it’s great and we’ve just done 3500 miles round France trip in September (mixing stays in the vw and a house)

But… we’re just not sure we get it.
It’s difficult isn’t it I didn’t want to offend anyone but at the same time I’m not getting the appeal of it all but I’ve not given it a fair chance really. I’ll try get some nice photos on this weekend. Still not managed to get my step fitted but I’ll keep trying. Many thanks and I have France envy now

Msr CAB hates driving our mazda 6 estate.

Loves driving the van.

Almost the same size!

Worth considering the suspension upgrade, but only if you think you may keep it; @Dav-Tec also does that nowadays I understand. Much better feel, more car like, far less 'lurching' and rolling.

A-pillar grab handles are a must if you don't have them and need a bit of assistance getting in.

Definitely go for mirror or rear camera, even a cheapie will make a big difference.
Thank you CAB

Reactions: CAB
Transporters look a lot bigger than they actually are, so it might help to compare the measurements to the car you have or would want to change to, then you might feel a bit better about it. As an example, my SWB is only very slightly bigger than our Leon, and more or less the same size as the Superb. The cars have reversing cameras, and I have come to rely on them, but with sensors the van isn’t that bad to park. I worry more about my wheels than the size of the van.
I like the higher driving position, it allows a much better view ahead, and personally I am much more relaxed driving the van.
Have you tried a small step to help getting in? I know it’s not a full time solution, but if that helps, maybe look at side bars/steps?

I’m not critiquing your abilities at all, but if you have a local IAM group, a session or two with an advanced driver might help with your confidence.

Transporters look a lot bigger than they actually are, so it might help to compare the measurements to the car you have or would want to change to, then you might feel a bit better about it. As an example, my SWB is only very slightly bigger than our Leon, and more or less the same size as the Superb. The cars have reversing cameras, and I have come to rely on them, but with sensors the van isn’t that bad to park. I worry more about my wheels than the size of the van.
I like the higher driving position, it allows a much better view ahead, and personally I am much more relaxed driving the van.
Have you tried a small step to help getting in? I know it’s not a full time solution, but if that helps, maybe look at side bars/steps?

I’m not critiquing your abilities at all, but if you have a local IAM group, a session or two with an advanced driver might help with your confidence.
Thank you yes I bought some decent side bars/ steps and garage said wrong ones for t6 so couldn’t fit but seller said they’ve sold hundreds for a t6 so garage was wrong to say that.I’ll get them done eventually. I do have a grab rail inside but to be honest it still hurts me so I know the steps will be a boon.when I eventually get them fitted. Lol

Reactions: CAB
If it's any reassurance I've driven a lot of things all the way up to 7.5tonne but there is a difference between driving for a few days and really getting the "zen" with everyday driving.

About 3 months in to having the Caravelle I'd reached the point where I was no longer actively driving but not comfortable; I did find the width in particular difficult to judge and had a few close calls, lost confidence and considered selling the van. In reality it takes up nearly the same roadspace as our XC70, I parked them next to each other to convince my brain, just the van is 20cm wider.

I'd really echo what @Ads_Essex said about getting used to the side mirrors to judge distance, it's what's helped me a lot. So much so that I tend to have the rear view adjusted down to check the kids in the back to make sure I'm regularly using the passenger side.

I also find a lot of it is surface worry, the couple of times I've had a tight squeeze with oncoming traffic in country lanes my instinctive reactions have placed the van much better than I thought I could. That worry eats into the enjoyment but having realised it's mostly worry I find driving the van much better these days.
Your explanation is very good. Similar experience to myself. I was losing confidence but now starting to relax a bit driving my van.

Is that where your radio was? I’d like a sat nav too is that what you mean by upgrade. Sorry I’m not too versed on this.
better to use Waze on your mobile rather than an integrated/dedicated sat nav. IMO.

Most newer stereos come with wireless apple car play or android auto - If you upgrade your stereo.

Back