P, R and D on dashboard - manual gearbox

doningtonphil

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hello

Strange thing happened today. Driving along, all seems good. But then noticed when in low gear (where it normally suggests gear change 2>3, 4>5 etc) there was occasionally appearing 'D', 'P'' or 'R'.

Except its a manual gearbox.
Plugged in my OBDeleven and got code 01315 Transmission control module - no communication.

There was also one about 'no corner light but can't remember code.

Anyway, cleared fault but P R or D still showing and fault code remains.

Where should I start to look?

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
Transmission control module doesnt exist on a manual so im guessing its been activated somehow and put into the installation list
You dont mention if its a 6 or 6.1 but you need to check your can gateway>installation list and untick/remove/deselect module 3 if its showing as installed

Actually got me thinking now, module 3 is automatic transmission but there must be something on a manual to know what gear you are in

Did any faults return after you cleared then and drove it ?

Any codings or configuration changes done recently by OBDeleven?

Hello. Thanks for quick responses. Same fault came back when I did another scan after clearing fault.

I have not knowingly made any changes or coding using ODBeleven.

2018 startline 5 speed

One thing I have done is screwed a wiring terminal box to the wall panel 'under the kitchen sink' behind drivers seat. Is there any chance there is a wiring loom behind there I could have upset?

On another post I did ask if there is a way od doing a 'data dump' of an OBD11 scan, particularly around my EGR fault code, to see if there are any general issues

Phil

Reactions: mmi
On another post I did ask if there is a way od doing a 'data dump' of an OBD11 scan, particularly around my EGR fault code, to see if there are any general issues
Either when connected, tap "envelope" to send the scan to yourself by email.

Any old scan - (not connected to vehicle, offline)
Select "History"​
either everything - tap "envelope" to send full history to yourself by email​
or​
scroll down to find the Full Scan - tap arrow "NorthEast" to send the scan to yourself by email.​

The symbols above are from Android, would expect to be similar on iOS

Interesting... it seems the Gateway is configured to have an Auto-transmission
Code:
    Control unit: 19 Gateway
    Active faults: 1
    Inactive faults: 0
    System description: GW-K-CAN TP20
    Software number: 7E0909901
    Software version: 0752
    Hardware number: 7E0937090C
    Hardware version: H82
    Faults:
        01315 - Transmission control module (TCM) No signal/communication
            static
                Priority:  2
                Frequency counter:  1
                Driving cycle: 119
                Mileage: 254209 km

I have not knowingly made any changes or coding using ODBeleven.
I have noticed that OBDeleven sometimes proposes to automatically configure "new" modules. Perhaps that has happened?

Anyways, can't remember exactly how but something along these lines

Control Units > RED PEN - edit (perhaps need to press and hold the "pen")

1720725080802.png

If the "(2) Auto-transmission" is ticked > untick "2"

1720725179925.png

Thanks mmi. I take it I need to be connected to the van to do this, as I cant see the red pen while disconnected. I will give it a go tomorrow

Thanks again

Reactions: mmi
By the way, how can yu tell it thinks it has auto transmission? It jus the presence of the TCM? Or are there other entrie s that say so?

Most likely ECU calculates it by using engine revs and vehicle speed. The selected gear is available as ECU's data item IDE00090.

:oops: The 3 is ABS Brakes - module 2 would be the transmission.
Yeah module 2 thats what i said ....... meant ........ thought ...... i dunno

Thanks mmi. I take it I need to be connected to the van to do this, as I cant see the red pen while disconnected. I will give it a go tomorrow

Thanks again
Yes, to change things OBDeleven needs to be connected.

By the way, how can yu tell it thinks it has auto transmission? It jus the presence of the TCM? Or are there other entrie s that say so?
Just the above posted portion of the scan, which says Gateway can't connect to the TCM.

Hello. Just some feedback.
I went into OBDeleven and did a scanner my van. As part of it, a message came up about auto configuring gateways. I clicked 'yes'.

Anyway the dash is now showing correct selected manual gear.

Thanks for all your input

Phil

Back