P0088, P0191 and P2463 fault codes (EML, Flashing coil light, DPF light and limp mode/lack of power)

Gilkesy

VIP Member
Hi. I’m a new T6 member so firstly hello and happy bank holiday Monday! I’ve just bought a 2016 T6, DSG box 150bhp with the above faults. I’ve scanned with a Carista and got the faults listed above with more info below. I thought I’d start with the obvious (lower costing) stuff first and work my way around.
There’s no leaks in hoses and the intercooler looks good. Any ideas if there’s a logic way of going through this or is it just a case of hit and miss?! Looking like I’ll be changing the fuel rail pressure sensor first!
Thanks in advance.

Fault 1 P0088 (05229 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too High) Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too

Fault 2 P0191 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor "A" Circuit Range/ Performance (05242 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor "A" Circuit: Range/ Performance)

Fault 3 P2463 - Diesel Particulate Filter Restriction - Soot Accumulation (05188 - Particulate Filter Restriction - Soot Accumulation Bank 1)

Welcome @Gilkesy

I'd be investigating the DPF issues first. It might just be a case of regens not being done or it may be a symptom of much more extensive work being needed that might make the "cheaper" fixes moot.

What is the indicated soot level in the DPF?

Cheers for the reply roadtripper. Am I right in thinking DPF regen won’t work with the faults existing? The level was showing as 40 something so not crazy high. The DPF was done by previous owner’s mechanic not too long ago, full service history and oil and filter changes every 6 months or so so has been looked after.

If a DPF filter gets to a blocked state in a few months then you need to investigate what is causing excessive soot, they should be good for 70k or so.

Depending on the model you might already be over the level where a normal regen will occur, you need to be careful not to go over the level where a forced regen will not work or it gets much more complicated to recover without garage work.

I can't remember if Carista can force a regen but if you are in limp mode I suspect that may not work anyway as it will not reach the temperatures needed.

When is the last logged successful regen?

It's also possible that the DPF is a symptom of a fuel system issue given your other fault codes leading to over fuelling and sooty exhaust

So the update so far is:
DPF cleaned and now DOF and EML is now off.
Flashing coil light is still flashing and still getting the P0088 high pressure fault and limp mode so fuel metering valve changed, still the same. Return fuel test from the rail is showing as 200ml in 10 seconds against the 90-110ml in 30 seconds, so still too much fuel entering the fuel rail.
Does anyone know what would logically need to be checked next?

Back