Pop-top gel coat maintenance

Hi, my gloss pop top roof has lost its gloss lustre. I have tried t cutting it with no luck. Any suggestions/ products on how I can restore the gloss look please? Thanks

We do this for a living and it's not really a DIY fix, or at the least, a DIY fix won't last very long, or look as good as a pro can do it.
(that's not a tout for work, we have a 6 week waiting list) it's more advice not to waste money on 'magic' products, including any of the above. They are good products in their own right, but not really suitable for gel-coat.

I cannot really help with advice because what we use it a custom product made for us, plus the risk of damaging the finish beyond a pro's repair, depending on the colour.

If it's gone dull, then it suggests you haven't maintained the roof with a wax, which all fibreglass surfaces need on a minimum of a 12 month basis.
I can however, show you how good we are :whistle: Tourershine

Bare in mind that they can be restored, but they do need to be maintained afterwards, and on a far more regular basis than if it had been maintained from new.

We do this for a living and it's not really a DIY fix, or at the least, a DIY fix won't last very long, or look as good as a pro can do it.
(that's not a tout for work, we have a 6 week waiting list) it's more advice not to waste money on 'magic' products, including any of the above. They are good products in their own right, but not really suitable for gel-coat.

I cannot really help with advice because what we use it a custom product made for us, plus the risk of damaging the finish beyond a pro's repair, depending on the colour.

If it's gone dull, then it suggests you haven't maintained the roof with a wax, which all fibreglass surfaces need on a minimum of a 12 month basis.

Bare in mind that they can be restored, but they do need to be maintained afterwards, and on a far more regular basis than if it had been maintained from new.
Good honest advice/opinion there

There's sound advice - and honest too. Reason 1328 why I love this forum!

Hi, my gloss pop top roof has lost its gloss lustre. I have tried t cutting it with no luck. Any suggestions/ products on how I can restore the gloss look please? Thanks
Hi, i had the same issue; white oxidisation on my roof. I used Meguiars oxidation remover (and a polishing machine with foam pad and lots of water to prevent overheating of the gel coat). See photo of a half finished roof (the white on the good half are theclouds in the sky!).

0FE6BDB1-34E3-4D61-BD1A-DC8795FDC6DE.jpeg

9A5CA2CD-6190-4B96-A4F0-D363D96CD1F9.jpeg

I've just used G3 pro as recommended. Now there are some cracks appearing in the lacquer. Nightmare. Fortunately I have only done a small bit to check. However the damage is done. Help please.

16916056733752143936125472559737.jpg

20230809_185638.jpg

20230809_185633.jpg

Repair that area, probably one of those kits with some matting, resin and hardener that you get on eBay etc.
Go over the repair with body filler, prime and seal then vinyl wrap... failing that take it to a paint shop or two for estimates but given that it's pretty much out of sight most of the time I'd go the repair it yourself and wrap at home route, infact as my bath tub pop top keeps losing it's shine due to being black I'll eventually have to do this before polishing through the gel coat too.

Hi, i had the same issue; white oxidisation on my roof. I used Meguiars oxidation remover (and a polishing machine with foam pad and lots of water to prevent overheating of the gel coat). See photo of a half finished roof (the white on the good half are theclouds in the sky!).

View attachment 165444

View attachment 165445
I think this might be an issue I have. Can I ask, before I dive in to try and fix, did the finish last for you or did the oxidation return?

I think this might be an issue I have. Can I ask, before I dive in to try and fix, did the finish last for you or did the oxidation return?
Ditto, fine up until this year but now have whitening of the black gloss coat. so I’m interested in the longevity of this too :thumbsup:

I think it may be due to changing the products I use to clean the van (always cleaned the roof every wash) and the current spray on wax doesn’t give the protection of the previous product as it went downhill so quickly (may have fluked it before). Used some old black wax products but all just cover the issue until the first good rain. Need to look up this oxidation product.

Ditto, fine up until this year but now have whitening of the black gloss coat. so I’m interested in the longevity of this too :thumbsup:

I think it may be due to changing the products I use to clean the van (always cleaned the roof every wash) and the current spray on wax doesn’t give the protection of the previous product as it went downhill so quickly (may have fluked it before). Used some old black wax products but all just cover the issue until the first good rain. Need to look up this oxidation product.
Every day’s a school day for me. I bought my van privately so didn’t get a rich handover of info and dos and don’ts (if he even knew himself). Thank God for forums like this!

Mine below - is yours similar?

IMG_2878.jpeg

Every day’s a school day for me. I bought my van privately so didn’t get a rich handover of info and dos and don’ts (if he even knew himself). Thank God for forums like this!

Mine below - is yours similar?

View attachment 215138
Not yet that bad, just starting to come through but I had a perfect poptop this time last year so I’m guessing it won’t be long before it’s like that

Just to check; this stuff is basically fancy t-cut right?
Similar. I’ve seen others say t-cut doesn’t do much for this. This looks like a cutting compound but with some gel coat friendly oils etc to help add depth. Kind of feeding it as it’s porous. It might be it’s also more aggressive because gel coat is thicker than paint protection and can take it, and the oxidation is deeper.

Back