Posting pics of your van with the number plate visable?

AshHT6

T6 Pro
Hi,

I know this is a bit random, but I've been posting pics of my van with the number plate visible and noticed a lot of people (not everyone) blur their number plate.

Can it be a problem posting with it visable?

I've just been searching Google for headlight issues and my posts on here came up showing my van with the number plate visable.

I'm guessing a crook could compile my pics and create a fake advert with the van for sale.

What do people think?

up to you.

your plate is public from the outside in the real world anyway.

++++

some people blur the plate if the show a fancy vans interior - ie full of audio equipment and speakers.

or if the van is outside a recognisable house etc?

+++++

some people have private plates, and use the plate as a username . .

++++++

so personal preference

if you have any concerns then edit and blur the plate.

If some one stole a red/white/blue T6 & wanted to clone it onto some false plates, where better to find a reg number for a red/white/blue T6 than this noble parish.

It would be awful if a ringed silver T6 copied the reg from my photo …

d78629c0-50da-4810-b40a-ab388e94fb24-jpeg.67066

My personal view is influenced by the day job where there is a lot of "but what if, and then after that what if again?"

Yes reg plates are public but they are only seen by people who are physically near your van. A photograph on the internet is available to all internet users 24/7 largely forever, it's a very different kind of public. And yes DVLA take reasonable precautions but there is still data out there that ties that plate to the registered keeper's address and that data is also spread out in other parking and insurance organisations etc.

I'd rather there are as few dots to join together as possible so when I post stuff a few seconds with the healing brush and cropping to make sure strong identity things (and me!) are not in view seems sensible.

Once a pic is posted on here, can you (the author/owner) go back and remove it or edit it?

I dont worry too much. Its all well insured. I have moments on some sites where when people do it I will be a d1ck and trawl through their posts and find a photo or two where they havent and remind them of the registration number. Only when I am feeling proper d1ckish or theyve been a bit of a bell end somewhere

Do you have the option to Report the content? If so, do that and it’ll drop in to the moderation queue

I am sure in Switzerland you get given a number plate once you pass your test. This stays with you for as long as you hold a licence.
There is also a directory of who owns the plates.

I am sure I haven't made that up but if someone shoots me down I won't be offended.

Don't want to turn my location off though....I have enough problems remembering where I've been when I get my daily "on this day" alert.

Partly
I am sure in Switzerland you get given a number plate once you pass your test. This stays with you for as long as you hold a licence.
There is also a directory of who owns the plates.

I am sure I haven't made that up but if someone shoots me down I won't be offended.

Don't want to turn my location off though....I have enough problems remembering where I've been when I get my daily "on this day" alert.
partly correct. The plate only stays if you don’t leave the canton ie ZH is Zurich and Ge is Geneva. It doesn’t stay with the person but the car or if it does stay with person it can be transferred.

It’s an issue for some well off people as it’s a status to have a low digit number plate like say ZH 897 as shows you’ve had a car for a longggggg time or have had the money to buy the plate off of someone. This means they have to keep a home in canton Zurich to retain the plate.

My friends dad had such a number and he transferred for my friend to his Impreza when dad left the city. It was funny seeing the rich looking at plate on the the car and young man.

You can indeed access the directory although you can now opt out from being innit as there were some high profile stalking cases of fit birds getting tracked to their homes from the number plate.

Back