Potentially buying my first used T6 - what's a reasonable price?

markc84

Hello all,
New user here! I am new to the VW transporter scene, looking to buy one to convert to a camper van myself at my own pace, will probably be my main runner, I don't do many miles. I was looking for a little advice on prices. I've found a van I like the look of, it has DSG, a Tailgate and is a LWB, it's also a factory kombi and it has 58k miles on the clock. I'd probably sell the Kombi seats to contribute towards the conversion costs. The garage wants £31k (vat is included), do you think this is a reasonable price? I know very little about prices and don't really know a good deal from a bad :-( don't want to dive in head first if it's not such a great deal.

Any advice is most welcome :).

Thanks!
Mark

If I was buying it, I reckon it is probably a little pricey by a couple K, but it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. However, if I was selling it I reckon it would be a couple K under the proper price.

If I was buying it, I reckon it is probably a little pricey by a couple K, but it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. However, if I was selling it I reckon it would be a couple K under the proper price.

Thanks, really appreciate the input! Perhaps I should wait longer and something better price becomes available? This particular Transporter is being sold from a VW approved reseller so comes with 1 year VW warranty etc. I assume this inflates the price considerably. Ideally would have liked it under the 30k mark but I've not been able to find anything that ticks all of the boxes under this price (yet) !

I think you’ll find that’s about the going rate but if I was paying that much I’d probably choose a 6.1 and go direct to vw, the warenty etc would be worth it to me and their prices aren’t much higher than on the private market.

You’re at the top end of t6 money and you will definitely get a 6.1 for that price. Also if you want to convert and don’t want a kombi waiting for a panel can could be a good option.

Have a look on parkers.co.uk. stick the reg plate in and it will give you a price guide.
Can tell I've been out of the loop of a while as I'd completely forgotten about this!

I think you’ll find that’s about the going rate but if I was paying that much I’d probably choose a 6.1 and go direct to vw, the warenty etc would be worth it to me and their prices aren’t much higher than on the private market.

You’re at the top end of t6 money and you will definitely get a 6.1 for that price. Also if you want to convert and don’t want a kombi waiting for a panel can could be a good option.

I really would love a T6.1 but getting one with DSG, LWB and tailgate would put me well in to the 40k zone and unfortunately can't stretch that far :-( I think 30k'ish is about all I can afford before doing the conversion!

Theres’s no bargains out there, sometimes you get what you pay for, sometimes less. Don’t spend all of your money on the vehicle because that’s just the start.
I spent 4 months deciding on which converter to go to with my van.

Theres’s no bargains out there, sometimes you get what you pay for, sometimes less. Don’t spend all of your money on the vehicle because that’s just the start.
I spent 4 months deciding on which converter to go to with my van.
Totally agree, if this wasn't a conversion I would probably have gone with something higher end but 30k is my absolute limit. Fortunately I've got a lot of spare time on my hands at the moment and I'm quite handy with DIY and electrics so I'm going to be doing the conversion slowly myself.

Here is a lwb 6.1 it’s the 199hp which some say has its issues but that’s from a main dealer in your price range Volkswagen+Transporter+PV+2.0BiTDI+199ps+T32+Highline+LWB+DSG

Thanks for this. For some reason this van never showed up on Autotrader for me, so they mustn't have it advertised there, or I'm just stupid! I didn't think to check on VW's own website, as you can tell I'm rubbish at this. :laugh:

This van is actually really nice, REALLY like the colour and it's a T6.1

I've done a bit of research on the 199 engine and it seems the bi-turbo can cause issues? I guess this would be my only concern. I'm not going to be doing mega miles in this van as it is intended as a camper, so hopefully this wouldn't give any issues.

I'll be going to have a look at these vans this afternoon as they're not far from each other.

Totally agree, if this wasn't a conversion I would probably have gone with something higher end but 30k is my absolute limit. Fortunately I've got a lot of spare time on my hands at the moment and I'm quite handy with DIY and electrics so I'm going to be doing the conversion slowly myself.

Thanks for this. For some reason this van never showed up on Autotrader for me, so they mustn't have it advertised there, or I'm just stupid! I didn't think to check on VW's own website, as you can tell I'm rubbish at this. :laugh:

This van is actually really nice, REALLY like the colour and it's a T6.1

I've done a bit of research on the 199 engine and it seems the bi-turbo can cause issues? I guess this would be my only concern. I'm not going to be doing mega miles in this van as it is intended as a camper, so hopefully this wouldn't give any issues.

I'll be going to have a look at these vans this afternoon as they're not far from each other.
Yeah that’s what put me off the higher power hit a 150 from them wouldn’t be any more money it’s just patience. I had a couple of dealers looking for me but ended up getting mine from bca. I had in my head I wanted a 150 Swb manual so a little different but it still took a good few months to find one

Hello all,
New user here! I am new to the VW transporter scene, looking to buy one to convert to a camper van myself at my own pace, will probably be my main runner, I don't do many miles. I was looking for a little advice on prices. I've found a van I like the look of, it has DSG, a Tailgate and is a LWB, it's also a factory kombi and it has 58k miles on the clock. I'd probably sell the Kombi seats to contribute towards the conversion costs. The garage wants £31k (vat is included), do you think this is a reasonable price? I know very little about prices and don't really know a good deal from a bad :-( don't want to dive in head first if it's not such a great deal.

Any advice is most welcome :).

Thanks!
Mark
Put the reg into we buy any car, that'll give you the trade price. Add a couple of £K for the the sellers profit & a bit more for the statutory warranty, and a bit more because you really want it, and that's the price you should be happy to pay.

Back