First service - Main dealer or Indie?

GrizzlyHippo

Some advice and thoughts needed please.

My T32 LWB Kombi is coming up to one year old. I bought it new from Heritage in Bristol and was massively underwhelmed by the buying experience with them. I have since heard lots of negatives about their aftercare and service.

Should I stick with a main dealer for the first service? If so, do I use Heritage? I could possibly use Marshall in Bridgewater.

I know as long as an independent uses VW parts that my warranty would be OK. I have a trusted indie (South Bristol Service Centre) near me who looks after his own new T6.

Any thoughts welcome as I ponder what to do.

Cheers, Tom.

You only need a VAT registered garage to service the van as long as they use genuine parts. Not sure if you get a service book nowadays though as VW log everything onto there database. As long as you get the receipt as proof that’ll be enough.

If you are unhappy with Heritage then I wouldn't consider using them to service it.

I'd get it done at an independent personally

My T32 LWB Kombi is coming up to one year old. I bought it new from Heritage in Bristol and was massively underwhelmed by the buying experience with them. I have since heard lots of negatives about their aftercare and service.

Should I stick with a main dealer for the first service? If so, do I use Heritage? I could possibly use Marshall in Bridgewater.

I know as long as an independent uses VW parts that my warranty would be OK. I have a trusted indie (South Bristol Service Centre) near me who looks after his own new T6.

Cheers, Tom.
you could try VeeW Services in Bedminster. They are far easier to deal with than Heritage

I use an ex VW mastertech indy for most of mine and main dealer for the DSG as there wasnt much in the price and well I would like some goodwill if there is an issue in the future. My indy in Kent can access the VW service system online so is able to update that accordingly. I have an All in plan so now it is main dealer for the free things and anything they tell me about (like brakes etc) go to my indy a shortwhile later.

Streetwise in Bristol ex main man at heritage looked after my vw’s for donkeys years

Bought mine from heritage in Bristol took it back for some remedial work when picked it up work not all completed and dirty 50pence size hole in windscreen and cracked about 3 inch’s long when questioned they said must of been like that before you dropped it off prove it was us!! Obvs never been back since

Bought mine from heritage in Bristol took it back for some remedial work when picked it up work not all completed and dirty 50pence size hole in windscreen and cracked about 3 inch’s long when questioned they said must of been like that before you dropped it off prove it was us!! Obvs never been back since
Which is why I always take a video of the van (including mileage) after parking it in the dealers. That is if you can even find a spare parking space!

@archersam I'm interested to find out who the indie in Kent is?

Just outside Ashford, labour charge is I think £45 + VAT an hour and I highly recommend him. I've been using him for quite some time, originally he was mobile (and still is for some jobs) however has a nice twin ramp workshop now.

Which is why I always take a video of the van (including mileage) after parking it in the dealers. That is if you can even find a spare parking space!
I have three dashcams (paranoid ha ha) so that should cover that unless the take the sd cards and deleted files of my arrival...........however one they always forget to unplug as it is built into the standalone satnav I use that comes on with the ignition live.

I have three dashcams (paranoid ha ha) so that should cover that unless the take the sd cards and deleted files of my arrival...........however one they always forget to unplug as it is built into the standalone satnav I use that comes on with the ignition live.
The vw dealers in Dartford always used to unplug dashcams "for security reasons"

Cheers, Tom.
Personally I’d use a Main Dealer. I know you don’t have to, but should anything go wrong within the warranty period, it’s one less get out for VW.

Personally I’d use a Main Dealer. I know you don’t have to, but should anything go wrong within the warranty period, it’s one less get out for VW.
Whilst it makes some sense for goodwill (hence why I took mine in for its DSG at main dealer) when your local indy is an ex (local VW) mastertech charging £45 a hour and the main dealer is circa £130 as well as not making such a mark up on his parts and oil prices as the local dealer it makes you reconsider.

Cheers, Tom.
Hi. I’m in Trowbridge.
After very lacklustre service from Fish Bros VW van centre in Swindon when my Kombi almost new I’ve been going to;

The professional garage you can rely on - NL Motors

Nick and his guys always give excellent service and advice.
Kombi 6 years old soon.
His admin system is connected to VW mainframe in Germany, all work completed as per its requirements/specification, using genuine parts and giving a printout as would receive from a main dealer.
Andy

Back