Rant Warning- please use the search

Personal pet hate - someone asks a question as to how to complete a job perfectly within their capability themselves with all the information presented nicely only to be told by someone who doesnt know how to do it, that they should contact a particular company and pay them to do it for them followed by another couple of people making the same recommendation or who recommend another competing business.

No disrespect intended to the providers of services among us, but sometimes people want the satisfaction of doing a job themselves or wish to save the cash.

Last edited:
OK, you've set me off....
What frustrates me is the new thread that goes something like,
"I've got a rattling type noise, seems strange, any ideas?"
First forum member, trying to help, asks, "Is it suspension related or does it do it when stationary?"
Reply, "Oh it does it all of the time, even when it's not moving."
Somebody pipes up, "That's got to be engine or gearbox then, possibly DMF"
OP comes back with, "That's what the garage thought, they replaced the clutch and DMF."
Somebody replies, "Oh, you didn't mention that in your first post."
OP replies, "Oh, yeah, it just got back from the garage, it's no better."
Somebody else pipes up, "OK, you can rule that out then, it could be a dodgy injector then".
OP comes back, "Would that cause an engine management light to come on?"
Somebody replies, "It certainly could, have you got an EML?"
OP comes back, "Yes, it started at the same time as the rattle."
Somebody replies, "You need to get the codes read, it might reveal the cause of the problem, which might be injectors."
OP replies, "Yes, it's had new injectors, the other garage that I went to read the codes and mentioned something about the injectors but it sounded expensive."
Somebody then replies with a long post about diesel injectors and the high pressure fuel pump, how the failure of the HPFP can result in injector damage.
The OP then says, "It's a TSI, does that make any difference?"

By that stage I've sworn an oath to stop following that thread.

Generally, I try and help people with technical problems as I enjoy this aspect of vehicle ownership. Also non-technical if I have experience / knowledge even if its something I’ve read elsewhere.

Recently, I’ve consciously decided not to reply to threads where the poster has done little or nothing to answer their question. Often a bit of googling with key words will find something!

The phenomenon is common to most forums I frequent.

That said some topics become out of date. What was the best insurer last year might not be so good now.

Starting anew might be better rather than trawling through several pages of out of date information.

Reactions: CAB
What was the best insurer last year might not be so good now.
Taking the title of that content as gospel could steer the inexperienced towards far from the best deal, insurance quotes are as variable as the weather.
The Search function is hindered by members titling content with “Help” or similar.
Part of my previous employment was contributing and managing a technical assistance database used by 80000 employees who could all contribute and share. Herding Cats would be easier.
This Forum and most other forums certainly isn’t a technical database and everything on it is to be used with caution IMO, that said most of the time the advice is given without any commercial interest which certainly isn’t the case when you visit a salesroom, garage or converter.

Last edited:
Reactions: CAB
Taking the title of that content as gospel could steer the inexperienced towards far from the best deal, insurance quotes are as variable as the weather.
The Search function is hindered by members titling content with “Help” or similar.
Part of my previous employment was contributing and managing a technical assistance database used by 80000 employees who could all contribute and share. Herding Cats would be easier.
This Forum and most other forums certainly isn’t a technical database and everything on it is to be used with caution IMO, that said most of the time the advice is given without any commercial interest which certainly isn’t the case when you visit a salesroom, garage or converter.
That reads like a pitch to become a moderator, @DXX. :whistle:

Not a million years, I don’t volunteer for anything these days except helping drink too much beer!
Just think of all those crappy thread titles you could re-word.

What do I need to take camping?

:rofl:

First off, this is aimed at no particular person, but if the cap fits......

Is it me just getting old & grumpy, or does there seem to be a plethora of folk who just seem to wander onto the forum, usually after they've encountered a problem with their new van, and ask the same question that's been asked times many? They don't can't be arsed to use the Search function, which IMHO is one of the most powerful tools available on the forum. Many times it's a vague generic question, without any detail, background, history etc. & we have to question them at length to get any meaningful info in order to offer any assistance, it's like pulling teeth sometimes. It's a Google mentality, "I'll just ask on the forum & someone will drop what they're doing & give me an answer".
There are some very detailed threads & articles on here, that people have taken the time & effort to put into words, that cover just about every subject that can arise with our vans. From Camper electrics, to Suspension & wheels, it's very rare that a genuinely new subject arises. Now I'm not saying that questions shouldn't be asked, they are the lifeblood of the forum, but please do a bit of basic research first & then come with some specifics.

{exit rant mode}

As a recent newbie who has no doubt made this apparently irritating faux pas I will stand up proudly to be counted. Sorry for triggering you bud.

(not sorry) x

Isn't talking about the same old sh!t the lifeblood of any social gathering, be it the weather, football, Motorsport. Every time I go out with my mates whether they are childhood friends or recently made friends the conversations are pretty much the same, talking about the same old sh!t...
I say bring on these people as I need something to read whilst sat on the toilet

Back