Rate my leisure installation…

Green Giant

T6 Guru
Ok, so I’ve read lots of forum posts and had a lot of very helpful advice regarding my leisure electrics installation, but wasn’t confident enough to do the job myself, and I also struggle with time as I work away from home weeks at a time, so paid to have it installed.
I think I know the answer to my question.. but is it acceptable to have the B2B charger and solar charger in the seat base without any fixings, just loose flapping around, I read the 12 12 50 xs should be mounted vertically to help with removing the heat,
When I picked up van I questioned this and was told, it’s so you can read the sticker on the back to set up the app, I’ve peeled off the easily removed sticker/taken photo etc
I’ll take the seat out and fix things down myself, but very disappointed with installer, IMG_1756.jpeg

That is not an installation. Items should be secured and cabling supported as required. Are there any fuses?
Pretty sure Victron specify installation requirements in their manuals.
If it doesn’t meet them, or they haven’t explained why they haven’t met them to your satisfaction, then they haven’t done their job.
I’d be livid that someone you go to for a “professional” job would think that’s acceptable!

I’m not an expert but that’s not a professional job by any stretch of the imagination.
I did my own and did a better job and I’m almost useless.

Yes, I am disappointed, fed up, and will do the job myself properly later today, I’m not driving around with it like that.

Get some plywood and some carpet and make a couple of tidy panels that fit inside the seat base then you can easily fasten the units in place. A bit shonky that. Especially when it’s just bare wires that go into the mppt (unless they’ve crimped ferrules on) so any movement could work those solar cables loose.

Very sub standard. I know its bother but you have rights...im sure youve paid 'professional' prices too to have that done....what other corners have they cut?!?

The MPPT also needs to be mounted vertically, there's a reason it's got a big heatsink on the back!

That's pretty shocking for a "professional" install.

Very sub standard. I know its bother but you have rights...im sure youve paid 'professional' prices too to have that done....what other corners have they cut?!?
Waiting for the bill to come in today, but I’m not driving 240 miles each way to have it fitted properly, doing it myself.
Yes, installer was recommended to me, business been going many years, not a COVID start up, I’ll just move on, another lesson learnt

Last edited:
The MPPT also needs to be mounted vertically, there's a reason it's got a big heatsink on the back!

That's pretty shocking for a "professional" install.
I couldn’t mount mine vertically as it was a bit of an emergency fit whilst in Spain. However, I only have 100w panel and even with external temps in high 20’s and 8 amps going through it, it didn’t even get particularly warm. So I’ve left it in the roof void mounted horizontally. I guess it depends on how hard it’s working.

I couldn’t mount mine vertically as it was a bit of an emergency fit whilst in Spain. However, I only have 100w panel and even with external temps in high 20’s and 8 amps going through it, it didn’t even get particularly warm. So I’ve left it in the roof void mounted horizontally. I guess it depends on how hard it’s working.
Depends on the MPPT, the smaller 75/10 and 75/15 don't get as hot, the 100/20 has a bigger heatsink as it's pushing more amps.

Waiting for the bill to come in today, but I’m not driving 240 miles each way to have it fitted properly, doing it myself.
Yes, installer was recommended to me, business been going many years, not a COVID start up, I’ll just move on, another lesson learnt
Dare we ask where you had it done?

If you haven't paid for it, I'd be in some serious negotiations. As mentioned, I'd pay for the major components, and that's all. Don't pay for the sundries, cable, crimps etc, as these may be scrap if you have to re-work it. Take plenty of photos of the installation "as is" & if the "Professional" threaten to take you to court for the outstanding amount, then "Sue me"

Dare we ask where you had it done?
I supplied all the components, everything apart from fuses and cables etc
He is a one man business, so you would hope he took pride in all the different areas of a conversion, been recommended on here too, not going to name, as need to talk to him before we settle the balance
I’ve also got to make a new worktop as hob is badly positioned

Here is my hob, I know the fittings are bulky, but would you not have fitted the hob slightly more to the left to give more room in the draw, the section of worktop on the left of hob is pretty much useless anyway, would of preferred a few inches more w/top on the right, I’ll redo the whole worktop as can’t live with it like this.

IMG_1758.jpegIMG_1757.jpeg

Last edited:
My primary concern in your install is that there should never ever be a mechanical load on the electrical terminals - their job is only to provide a reliable electrical connection - under strain or vibration they will fail.

I’m going to get all the connections and all cabling, fuses etc checked over, I’ve just securely fitted some ply to seat base and screwed chargers to this, max 30 minutes to remove seat, fit ply and chargers, re fit seatIMG_1760.jpeg

I’m going to get all the connections and all cabling, fuses etc checked over, I’ve just securely fitted some ply to seat base and screwed chargers to this, max 30 minutes to remove seat, fit ply and chargers, re fit seatView attachment 250901
I'd try & loop the cables up into the gap between the 2 chargers & fit some kind of clip/restraint/strain relief to reduce the chances of the cables coming adrift.

PS.looks much better already:thumbsup:

Back