Replacement steering rack

gonze

Hi all
The seals on the end of my steering rack have failed and now leak.

I just wondered what experience people have had with non VW steering racks and if they last? Or if anyone has had there original rack refurbished?

Thanks

I’ve a feeling I’m about to be in this boat. I found a place in Rotherham I think it was, a while ago that did reconditioning, but I can’t find the place now.
I’ll have a dig around tomorrow when I’m back home and if I find it I’ll update.
Mine is down on fluid and I have a slight damp area so I’m guessing further investigation will reveal a similar issue.

I have found a company in Birmingham that will undertake a refurbishment of the rack. When I removed the dust covers the inner tie rods had some surface rust so I guess this has damaged the seals. Hopefully my rack is returned Saturday.

I have found a company in Birmingham that will undertake a refurbishment of the rack. When I removed the dust covers the inner tie rods had some surface rust so I guess this has damaged the seals. Hopefully my rack is returned Saturday.
That’s good. So they refurbish your own rack?
I don’t want an exchange if mine looks pretty good and just has a leak at a hose. Rather have mine back.
If they do a good job then can you post their details on this thread please?

If you remove the cap on the power steering fluid reservoir and syringe out the fluid you’ll be able to see a small strainer. If the strainer is dirty there will be damage within the pump and possibly the rack.
I just renewed the fluid on my 2016 van, it was very clean.
Standard running gear, no ride height modifications.

If you remove the cap on the power steering fluid reservoir and syringe out the fluid you’ll be able to see a small strainer. If the strainer is dirty there will be damage within the pump and possibly the rack.
Great tip. Thanks. I’ll do that tomorrow.

My steering rack has been damaged in the post :(

The plug has snapped off the Servotronic unit and I'm struggling to find a replacement. It appears they are not sold separately, although the used Audi ones on ebay look identical.

Back