Replacing rock and roll with RIB bed

sam_glasgow

Hi all,

I'm pretty set on a RIB bed and looking at buying a 2nd hand pre converter camper, but so many vans I see for sale online have rock and rollers.

Would it be feasible to remove a rock and roller bed and replace with a RIB bed of the same width?

My limited understanding of the install is there's some sort of c channel or brace panel underneath which wraps around the support beam and then holes are drilled into the van that align with that then it's all bolted up.

If the holes are not identical between beds (unlikely?) is it possible to drill new holes for a RIB bed without compromising anything in terms of strength and safety etc of the beam?

Thanks!
Sam

A lot of installs don’t use the beam and just use large washers to spread the load. Not all RIBinstalls do either as there’s only one or two companies that make the beam. You might be lucky in that some of the holes will be in the right place but you would have to drill from underneath to ensure you don’t widen the holes in the floor. Hopefully any existing hole would be within the RIB bed frame otherwise you would need to redo the floor covering as well

A lot of installs don’t use the beam and just use large washers to spread the load. Not all RIBinstalls do either as there’s only one or two companies that make the beam. You might be lucky in that some of the holes will be in the right place but you would have to drill from underneath to ensure you don’t widen the holes in the floor. Hopefully any existing hole would be within the RIB bed frame otherwise you would need to redo the floor covering as well
Thanks! So not unrealistic to assume the bed could be changed relatively easily? Obv if I'm not doing myself I'd need to confirm with a professional, just trying to get a feel for the art of the possible.

Back