[Guide] Mobile Solar Panels ? . . . - How I Did It -

This turned out to be great advice - thank you. I have everything set up in the garden and on a slightly gloomy day, the Renogy panel is kicking out 130w and, having taken off the PMW controller that came with the panel, the Victron MPPT that I replaced it with is charging my crappy battery at 8a or so.

I paid about £270 in total for the RENOGY 200w panel, the Victron 75|15 charge controller, cable and connectors which feels like a bargain (and money well spent!)

View attachment 245046

So I’m using my set up in the field for the first time. Gorgeous sunny day, about 22°c, no shade on the panel, but according g to the Victron app I’m only getting 5-6w from the panel and it’s in float mode which I guess means the leisure battery is pretty full. My fridge is on EHU, so with no loads to speak of, is the MPPT capping the power from the panel, or is my panel Donald Ducked?

As ever, very grateful for any expertise or advice.

IMG_0756.png

So I’m using my set up in the field for the first time. Gorgeous sunny day, about 22°c, no shade on the panel, but according g to the Victron app I’m only getting 5-6w from the panel and it’s in float mode which I guess means the leisure battery is pretty full. My fridge is on EHU, so with no loads to speak of, is the MPPT capping the power from the panel, or is my panel Donald Ducked?

As ever, very grateful for any expertise or advice.

View attachment 250631
Yes your correct.

The battery is full, charger is in float....

So there is now where for the power to go, hence the 5w trickle.

If you turn on all your 12v loads, you will notice the battery voltage will drop, them the charger will move to bulk mode.

Yes your correct.

The battery is full, charger is in float....

So there is now where for the power to go, hence the 5w trickle.

If you turn on all your 12v loads, you will notice the battery voltage will drop, them the charger will move to bulk mode.
Brilliant. Thank you. Nice to have it confirmed!

Back