Replacing VSR with DC-DC Charger - but using existing cable run?

redowlin

Recently successfully installed a Victron MPPT and SmartShunt under my drivers seat with a bit of help from the forum and the next thing in my sights once all that is properly mounted is to think about changing the VSR for a DC-DC charger to enable a later upgrade from a Lead Acid battery and to take better care of the existing battery.

Currently I have a Duritc VSR under the bonnet. If I remove this, is there anything wrong with using a butt connector to crimp the two positive leads together (into & out of the VSR) to give me a single run to underneath the drivers seat? This would save a significant amount of faff running a new cable from the engine bay to the drivers seat. I appreciate it's not ideal, but in terms the amount of time it would save would be significant - so is it likely to have any material effect? A proper crimping tool and some heatshrink will take about 5 min compared to pulling up the floor.

I can then drop a Victron Orion XS in under the seat with the MPPT and shunt. Any advice appreciated!

The other option of course could be to put the Orion in place of the VSR - but that's attached to the plastic in the battery compartment so probably wouldn't be ideal.

Last edited:
Is there a fuse between the battery pos and the vsr? If so is there enough cable to remove the vsr and reconnect the cable end into the midi fuse?
If there is no fuse then there’s your solution. Use a midi fuse and holder to link the 2 ends together.

Do you know what size the current wiring is? The Orion XS really needs 16mm² from the SB to the Orion XS.

Is there a fuse between the battery pos and the vsr? If so is there enough cable to remove the vsr and reconnect the cable end into the midi fuse?
If there is no fuse then there’s your solution. Use a midi fuse and holder to link the 2 ends together.

Yes there is - good shout, I'll check. If not I can create a new battery connection lead that is long enough.

Do you know what size the current wiring is? The Orion XS really needs 16mm² from the SB to the Orion XS.

The VSR is 140A IIRC so the cabling should be more than sufficient? It certainly looks to be 16mm2 or bigger.

Last edited:
Back