Roof-Spoiler fitting

image.jpeg Hi All, I tried bonding mine first with sikaflex and just my look the following day after fitting the genuine spoiler the one side come away slightly as when temp was 30 degree + and spoiler black, so I too drilled as per recommendations and now spot on

Ask supplier if they can get it painted before they deliver it to you or buy and take to your local bodyshop for painting

Hi All. I pick up my T6 Kombi this Friday from VW and have paid them to fit the rear spoiler for me. Do you think they will be drilling it as the thread above, or using an adhesive? They are charging me £308 inc VAT. Have I paid over the odds?

You can the genuine VW spoiler in solid colours supplied painted ready to fit for £225 but not sure how much more for metallic.

VW add ons have menu pricing as per the price list - supply and fit. But - it doesn't show the painting charge for those who need there's in primer and painting. Mine wasn't far off that price from box to tailgate !

Just noticed this thread.

Did the inductions say to apply the adhesive primer too the tailgate?

The adhesive primer is meant to go on the spoiler to promote adhesion between the pu (polyurethane) adhesive and the abs plastic of the vw spoiler. A spoiler made from pu won't need the primer.

The instructions are for bonding glass to the bodywork not for bonding a plastic spoiler.

The adhesive kit for the spoiler isn't the same kit for glass.

000071785D is the spoiler adhesive kit.

The dinitrol adhesion kit from Banwy is for bonding glass, hence the instructions show you how to bond glass to the bodywork.

I'm confused. Where did glass come into it? The op used primer on the tailgate not on the spoiler. The primer is for the spoiler. Putting the primer on the tailgate paint goes against everything I know/learnt in vehicle bodywork repair and my job.
The spoilers I have put on customers cars from vw that are made from abs plastic need the primer on the spoiler for full long lasting adhesion.

I just don't want the op's spoiler to fly off.

The kit was recommended by Banwy who say they use the single tube kit for fixing spoilers. For my T5 I used Sticks like sh*t to fix a GRP barn door spoiler, no primers just stuck it on, stayed on for five years. Looking at YouTube, I have seen the primer applied to the bodywork and the glass activator applied to the glass. I applied the primer to the both the bodywork and the spoiler and all seems good so far.

I didn't realize the op used the window adhesive kit. I was referring to the spoiler adhesive that uses the elch p1 polyurethane glue not dinitrol.

They are different bit at least they both work.

Crises averted.

I'm planning on fitting a genuine vw rear bike carrier, so as far as I'm aware I can't fit a rear spoiler !! Shame as they look cracking .

Back