Safety issue- Engine dies when changing gear.

Problem not solved as far as I'm aware, but yes turn the s/s off and keep the revs up when changing down gears, only get the problem if I forget I'm driving my T6.
Hope that helps..

Hi, That sounds expensive !!!

Do you think it is down to driving styles, or a problem with the stop start system., or something else completely different. Has any body solved the issue.
I’d say if you are new to a T6, it’s getting used to it. Why suggest something is failing based on no evidence of that.

With ours, I was livid at the time as VW refused to admit there was an issue, but even 4 years on, occasionally both me and OH still stall - so as much as I hate it, it was probably us. Normally it’s when there’s lots going on, and so it may be even lifting the clutch too quick.

As I said, drive it, clock what you are doing at the time, dump the clutch - don’t touch the stick, note what gear you are in on the OSD, and ask yourself was it perhaps in the wrong gear.

Enjoy your van, don’t worry about this issue unless you can make it happen on demand, in which case you’ve something real to take to the garage.

Get the high pressure fuel pump replaced, I'm sure Willy will pay up when its still the same afterwards..

Could it be the ignition or fuel pump relay? It could be an intermittent fault if the relay is susceptible to not working if it becomes hot.

I'm glad I saw this thread, I thought it was me, and so did my wife. I've been experiencing this issue, slowing down in 4th or 5th then stalling the engine before it should stall at lower revs, just before the point you're ready to put it in 2nd. This is how my instructor taught me to drive and I've never had a problem with any other car, and I've owned about 30 cars in my time. I've not had my 2018 T6 102 bhp very long I've done about 3000 miles and this has happened probably 5 times. I thought I wasn't driving it well. I had worked out that changing down through all the gears and keeping the revs high seems to stop the situation. I noticed the 'manual start required' notice on the dash last time but I let the clutch up in 2nd while still moving and it restarted. It's been quite annoying, and I was coming onto a roundabout last time quiet dangerous.

They stall quite aggressively. When had my T5.1 manual, and before that when I had a Skoda Fabia VRS, it happened on occasions. It seems to be a VW Group characteristic. You cannot let the revs fall to almost idle speed when slowing at junctions. It is like the anti-stall mapping is not very good, and at extremely low engine speed, they just stop suddenly.

I'm surprised on two counts; one I've not seen this thread even though it was reported in 2017 and two I've not experienced it. I've always blipped the throttle when changing down to avoid the lurch forward that you get if you don't.

I don't think that means that the drivers are at fault but you can't expect an engine to put up with going from 1.5k rpm (or less, on a slow gear change) to 3.5k+ rpm without warning, unless the clutch slips, can you? I'd be concerned if it didn't lurch and put you through the windscreen, hence matching the engine revs to the likely driven revs when you let clutch out?

Edit: on reflection my TSi may not exhibit it as it has torque at 3.5k whereas the diesels will be a bit gutless up there, but still...

I had it on mine and no vehicle should do this. none of us are stupid and are all pretty much experienced drivers. It should not do this and it is downright dangerous when it happens to you.

Not good enough VW

I had it on mine and no vehicle should do this. none of us are stupid and are all pretty much experienced drivers. It should not do this and it is downright dangerous when it happens to you.

Not good enough VW
Totally agree buddy, been saying this from when I purchased from new, another coverup from VW!!!

you just need to remember that it can do this and be prepared for it i found that when it stalls like this or with the big bang stall double the clutch for instant restart i had a stall this week to slow in 2nd straight line and no bang that needed a key start i never drive covering the clutch pedal but im sure when this happens my foot is still on the pedal at point of stalling deffo it's driver technique and yes maybe be a slight connection to start / stop operation seems to happen when i'v not driven the van in a while but stalling rarely happens

I'm surprised on two counts; one I've not seen this thread even though it was reported in 2017 and two I've not experienced it. I've always blipped the throttle when changing down to avoid the lurch forward that you get if you don't.

I don't think that means that the drivers are at fault but you can't expect an engine to put up with going from 1.5k rpm (or less, on a slow gear change) to 3.5k+ rpm without warning, unless the clutch slips, can you? I'd be concerned if it didn't lurch and put you through the windscreen, hence matching the engine revs to the likely driven revs when you let clutch out?

Edit: on reflection my TSi may not exhibit it as it has torque at 3.5k whereas the diesels will be a bit gutless up there, but still...
its not that type of stall. its the engine cuts out while moving slowly feathering the clutch to turn into a side road. is why the start / stop get mentioned i found it normally restarts doubling the clutch but not always i have not had it before in any other van i have driven seems it just the transporters that do it i have had a few other vans over the years i have experienced the cut out about 5 - 6 times in the 7 years i'v had the van

its not that type of stall. its the engine cuts out while moving slowly feathering the clutch to turn into a side road. is why the start / stop get mentioned i found it normally restarts doubling the clutch but not always i have not had it before in any other van i have driven seems it just the transporters that do it i have had a few other vans over the years i have experienced the cut out about 5 - 6 times in the 7 years i'v had the van
Strange! Would be good to establish which variant or engine. Not had a hint of this on mine

Mine I a 2017 2 ltr blue motion 150, engine no cxha012519 with the dreadid stop/ start, and cuts out when slowing down could be I am in the wrong gear. I have been driving for 47 years never experianced this before. But I have never owened a T6 before.

This has happened to me too, pretty much the same as many others have described… slowing down (10-20mph max), turning onto a roundabout or right hand T junction… low revs, dropping down a couple of gears… everything dies. No (power) steering or engine power. The last time I was on an incline which put more weight on the front wheels and so made steering even harder to control. God damn scary and bloody dangerous!

I’ve had my van 6 months (manual T6 2017) and it’s happened about 3 times in similar circumstances over 3500 miles of driving. I’m now going to be turning Stop/Start off as a default. Fingers crossed.

Back