Second OEM Battery - Query from a Newbie

Airfix61

Hi All,
We have a 2018 DSG Highline Kombi which I am finally getting around to converting into a basic day van (no beds, kitchen or 240v planned yet) with a few tentative modifications. Eg, Sound deadening, insulation, curtains, additional 12v lighting and power outlets in the rear. This forum is great; gives a huge amount of information and confidence to the Newbie to get on with their project.

Anyway, some advice please - we ordered the van with second OEM battery, as I can gather from other threads, without the OEM heater system this is basically a leisure battery. So under the passenger seat is the battery, a relay and 80Amp fuse. Additionally it looks like VW have put a few connector blocks linking other electrical harnesses but nothing to the second battery. (Please correct me if this is BS)

So my query is this - if I wanted to take a basic +12v feed to a small fuse board (grounded at an appropriate point) and then on to LED lighting and a couple of 12v outlets; would I simply go directly from battery via a fused connection?
Secondly, is there a good route from the passenger seat to the rear of the van that won't compromise the cabling? Up through the B pillar looks favourite (Pics of what others have done would be great).

Lastly, one upgrade on my list is a Rusty Lee Passenger Swivel seat. But see second picture where the battery has the protective cover fitted, the battery sits approx 10mm above the seat base. Any ideas on options? Do any swivel seat manufacturers have a suitable mod? Or is it a case of a new smaller battery?

Thanks
Airfix61

IMG_20200724_115759527.jpgIMG_20200724_122141450.jpg

I have the same setup. The relay "100" is the split charge relay separating starter and second battery. It's driven closed when engine is actually running.
if I wanted to take a basic +12v feed to a small fuse board (grounded at an appropriate point) and then on to LED lighting and a couple of 12v outlets; would I simply go directly from battery via a fused connection?
Yes. Could even also take advantage of the existing fuse strip (seems to be now empty?). It's also advantageous to use van's earthing points for the negative connection on the "other" end - less resistance + less cable.
route from the passenger seat to the rear of the van that won't compromise the cabling?
I just put mine in a protective tube under carpet along/next to sliding door step (on left side) as needed only to go down to C-pillar area. Certainly B-pillar can be used (a lot of empty space in there), but I'm not sure if can get back down before D-pillar - if needed.

Thanks @mmi,
Good advice. Taking small steps to install electrics, just want a basic 12v system at this stage. But want a system capable of expansion (240v, Inverter etc) at a later date - without ripping out everything I install this year.
Airfix61

Reactions: mmi
Hi All,
We have a 2018 DSG Highline Kombi which I am finally getting around to converting into a basic day van (no beds, kitchen or 240v planned yet) with a few tentative modifications. Eg, Sound deadening, insulation, curtains, additional 12v lighting and power outlets in the rear. This forum is great; gives a huge amount of information and confidence to the Newbie to get on with their project.

Anyway, some advice please - we ordered the van with second OEM battery, as I can gather from other threads, without the OEM heater system this is basically a leisure battery. So under the passenger seat is the battery, a relay and 80Amp fuse. Additionally it looks like VW have put a few connector blocks linking other electrical harnesses but nothing to the second battery. (Please correct me if this is BS)

So my query is this - if I wanted to take a basic +12v feed to a small fuse board (grounded at an appropriate point) and then on to LED lighting and a couple of 12v outlets; would I simply go directly from battery via a fused connection?
Secondly, is there a good route from the passenger seat to the rear of the van that won't compromise the cabling? Up through the B pillar looks favourite (Pics of what others have done would be great).

Lastly, one upgrade on my list is a Rusty Lee Passenger Swivel seat. But see second picture where the battery has the protective cover fitted, the battery sits approx 10mm above the seat base. Any ideas on options? Do any swivel seat manufacturers have a suitable mod? Or is it a case of a new smaller battery?

Thanks
Airfix61

View attachment 78979View attachment 78980
Hi Airfix61......did you manage to sort out the leisure battery height / Rusty Lee Swivel base problem?? I am looking at doing the same under the passenger seat. Wondering if the battery could lay on its' side.....would this reduce the height of it in order to get the swivel base on??

Hi Airfix61......did you manage to sort out the leisure battery height / Rusty Lee Swivel base problem?? I am looking at doing the same under the passenger seat. Wondering if the battery could lay on its' side.....would this reduce the height of it in order to get the swivel base on??
Hi timrobbo,
Still waiting for Rusty Lee swivel to come back into stock - production is slow so I have been told. I have a few ideas on raising the seat and getting the clearance, just kicking myself that Ii didn't order van with OEM swivels seats. In meantime, I have changed the battery terminals for "lower profile" ones, will send details and a pic if you need info.
Airfix61

Hi timrobbo,
Still waiting for Rusty Lee swivel to come back into stock - production is slow so I have been told. I have a few ideas on raising the seat and getting the clearance, just kicking myself that Ii didn't order van with OEM swivels seats. In meantime, I have changed the battery terminals for "lower profile" ones, will send details and a pic if you need info.
Airfix61

Thanks for that @Airfix6. I got lucky and found them in stock at transporterhq last Thursday and ordered a couple. Just checked again and now out of stock. Didn't realise you hadn't got them yet otherwise I would have given you the heads-up. Thanks again.

Back