Service centre trying to scare me?

Murdoch

Electrician
VIP Member
T6 Guru
My wheels have been in for a service today.

They are saying that I need:

DPF pipe clamp to down pipe leaking @ £83.38
Front engine mount is starting to split (56K miles and 7 years old) @ £207.66

Are either of these a DIY job?

Or could I leave them for a while? They made them sound very serious

My front engine mount is also split. Picked up on the MOT. The part is about £30 - £40 i think. Mechanic said its an easy job. As long the engine is supported. Im am going to attempt it myself. 3 bolts.

My wheels have been in for a service today.

They are saying that I need:

DPF pipe clamp to down pipe leaking @ £83.38
Front engine mount is starting to split (56K miles and 7 years old) @ £207.66

Are either of these a DIY job?

Or could I leave them for a while? They made them sound very serious
I was told by my VWVC that my engine mount had split and needed renewing and they also told me my rear brake discs and pads needed doing and would be £580 incl vat.

Took it to my local independent who did the brakes for £240 and said the engine mount was fine.

Around six weeks ago the VW dealer told me they charge £140 per hour for labour. Didn’t seem that long ago it was £125… so by now they probably rounded up to £150, because - why not?

Also, I read an article on body shops - not just main dealers either, and how they are forcing insurance premiums upward. A rear bumper scuff that a tiny Indy quoted a couple of hundred was priced just over £4k by the bigger companies and main dealers.
Found something similar when one of the neighbours scuffed my bumper - local three man set up charged the offender £320 (I gave him a lift down so he could pay) while VW main dealer wanted £1500.

Add the Brexit tax on parts and it’s no wonder people drive round in damaged cars and some ignore MOT and even insurance.

Still, there was a Renault Zoe that needed a new heater… £11k! Makes VW look cheap.

Back